Desmond Thomas Devenish
Manhattan, New York City, New York, U.S.
|Nationality||American · English|
|Education||Marymount Manhattan College|
|Occupation||Filmmaker · Actor · Writer|
Desmond Thomas Devenish is an English-American actor, director, producer, and screenwriter.
Devenish was born in Manhattan, New York City to Louise Devenish (née Mellion), appraiser and professor of fine and decorative arts and Thomas Devenish, a New York dealer of fine English furniture, born in England to parents who were vaudevillians. Devenish was named Desmond when his father sat in-between Desmond Guinness and Desmond FitzGerald, 29th Knight of Glin, during a gala event on Georgian art and antiques at the Metropolitan Club the night he was born.
Among the schools Devenish attended were Saint David’s School, Riverdale Country School, John F. Kennedy High School, Tisch School of the Arts at New York University, Marymount Manhattan College, where he received his BA in Theatre Arts, and The Los Angeles Film School.
As a filmmaker, his LA Film School thesis, Split, was acquired by Shorts International. His second short Closure won best short at San Pedro International Film Festival. Devenish's feature film directorial debut, Misfortune, a gritty thriller shot in Tucson, Arizona won the Yellow Rose at Jaipur International Film Festival, best feature at Black Hills Film Festival, and was nominated for the Grand Jury Award at Dances With Films.
Stretch It Out!, a comedy special, written and performed by Shawn Pelofsky and directed by Devenish, is distributed by Comedy Dynamics.
|Opening date||Closing date||Title||Role||Playwright||Theatre||Notes|
|April 12, 1995||May 7, 1995||On The Waterfront||Little Frankie||Budd Schulberg||Brooks Atkinson|
|2004||Exit 8A (short film)||Yes||Nick|
|2009||Split (short film)||Yes||Yes||Yes|
|2013||Closure (short film)||Yes||Yes||Yes||Yes||Jude|
|2016||Pull Away (short film)||Yes||Yes||Yes||Yes||Vincent|
|2016||Gregory Porter Don't Forget Your Music||Associate producer|
|2017||Happy Birthday or Felicidades (short film)||Associate producer|
|2018||Stretch It Out||Yes|
|2019||Eddie & Sunny (Pre-Production)||Yes||Yes||Yes||Yes|
- "ONLINE; Antiques Web Site Gets a Magazine Feel". The New York Times. Retrieved 30 August 2007.
- "Every Piece Was His Favorite". The New York Times.
- "On The Waterfront". Playbill.
- "On The Waterfront". IBDB.
- "No Refuge for the Young in a Small Town". The New York Times.
- "Increasing Tension in Powerful 'Delinquent'". Los Angeles Times.
- "2004 Sundance Film Festival Announces Short Film Line-up". Creative Planet Network. Retrieved 14 February 2012.
- "Film Festival: Wildwood Rocks (Really) and Heavy Exit Tolls". The New York Times. Retrieved 30 May 2004.
- "Sundance sets shorts". Variety. Retrieved 9 December 2003.
- "2013 San Pedro International Film Festival Announces Screening Schedule". Broadway World.
- "Interview with filmmaker Desmond Devenish". Scenester. Retrieved 6 June 2016.
- "'Misfortune': Dances With Films Review". The Hollywood Reporter. Retrieved 11 June 2016.
- "Indie thriller 'Misfortune' is an impressive spin on familiar turf". Los Angeles Times. Retrieved 13 July 2017.
- "2016 in film". Wikipedia.
- "Company Credits". IMDB.
- "Shawn Pelofsky: Stretch It Out!". IMDB.
- "Theater Review: On The Waterfront". The New York Times.