Desmond FitzGerald, 29th Knight of Glin
The son of Desmond FitzGerald, 28th Knight of Glin (1901–1949), and Veronica Villiers (daughter of Ernest Villiers, M.P.), FitzGerald was born in Paddington, London, England into an old Anglo-Irish aristocratic family in County Limerick and was educated at the University of British Columbia and Harvard University. He worked at the Victoria and Albert Museum in London, in the furniture department.
He later returned to Ireland, and became active in conservation issues, becoming involved with the Irish Georgian Society. He was appointed its president in 1991. He has also represented the Christie's art auctioneers in Ireland. He died in Dublin in 2011.
|This section does not cite any sources. (May 2016) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
He was originally married to Loulou de la Falaise for a brief period. In 1970 he married his second wife, Olda Ann Willes, daughter of Major Thomas and Georgina Willes. His three daughters are: landscape designer Catherine, who married actor Dominic West in 2010 and was previously married to Ned Lambton, Nesta, and Honor. At the time of his death he had four grandchildren – Dora, Senan, Francis, and Rose, as well as step-granddaughter Martha.
FitzGerald was the last Black Knight; as he had no sons and the title cannot be passed to a daughter, the title became dormant with his death. A similar title, the Knight of Kerry, is held by his distant cousins.
He devoted his life to restoring the belongings of the castle, which had been sold due to previous financial difficulties, and rebuilding and finishing the remaining parts of the estate including the Georgian house that had remained incomplete for centuries.
|Ancestors of Desmond FitzGerald, 29th Knight of Glin|
- Announcement of death of Desmond FitzGerald, 29th Knight of Glin, rte.ie; accessed 1 May 2016.
- FitzGerald family information
- Profile, newyorksocialdiary.com; accessed 1 May 2016.
- Obituary, independent.co.uk; accessed 1 May 2016.
- "Obituary: Desmond FitzGerald". The Telegraph. 16 September 2011. Retrieved 18 September 2011.
- Interview, independent.ie; accessed 1 May 2016.
- Profile of Desmond FitzGerald, 29th Knight of Glin, thepeerage.com; accessed 1 May 2016.
-  Isabella Lloyd Apjohn in the Ireland, Select Marriages, 1619-1898. Ancestry.com. Ireland, Select Marriages, 1619-1898 (database on-line). Provo, UT, USA: Ancestry.com Operations, Inc., 2014. Original data: Ireland, Marriages, 1619-1898. Ancestry.com Operations, Inc.: FamilySearch, 2013.
-  Michael Apjohn in the Ireland, Catholic Parish Registers, 1655-1915. Catholic Parish Registers, The National Library of Ireland; Dublin, Ireland; Microfilm Number: Microfilm 02498 / 03. Source Information: Ancestry.com. Ireland, Catholic Parish Registers, 1655-1915 (database on-line). Provo, UT, USA: Ancestry.com Operations, Inc., 2016.
- Book about Desmond FitzGerald: The Last Knight: A Tribute to Desmond Fitzgerald, 29th Knight of Glin by Robert O'Byrne, Lilliput Press, September 2013; ISBN 9781843514084.
- Bibliography by Knight of Glin, amazon.ca; accessed 1 May 2016.
- Desmond Fitzgerald profile, limerickcity.ie; accessed 1 May 2016.
- The Knight of Glin Papers, University of Limerick, accessed 14 August 2016.
|Non-profit organization positions|
|President of the Irish Georgian Society
|Titles of nobility (Ireland)|
|Knight of Glin