|Saskatchewan electoral district|
Desnethé—Missinippi—Churchill River in relation to other Saskatchewan federal electoral districts as of the 2013 Representation Order.
|Federal electoral district|
|Legislature||House of Commons|
|District webpage||profile, map|
|Pop. density (per km²)||0.2|
|Census divisions||Division No. 14, Division No. 15, Division No. 16, Division No. 17, Division No. 18|
|Census subdivisions||Meadow Lake, La Ronge, Meadow Lake No. 588, La Loche|
Desnethé—Missinippi—Churchill River (French: Desnethé—Missinippi—Rivière Churchill; formerly known as Churchill River) is a federal electoral district in Saskatchewan, Canada, that has been represented in the House of Commons of Canada since 1997.
This is a rural riding located in northern Saskatchewan.
Ethnic groups: 70.6% Aboriginal, 28.7% White
Languages: 64.6% English, 21.3% Cree, 10.8% Dene, 1.3% French
Religions: 76.8% Christian (41.5% Catholic, 18.5% Anglican, 4.1% United Church, 2.5% Lutheran, 1.6% Pentecostal, 8.5% Other), 2.7% Traditional Aboriginal Spirituality, 20.4% No religion
Median income (2010): $18,910
Average income (2010): $28,554
Desnethé—Missinippi—Churchill River boasts the following demographic records:
- Highest % of people of the Métis aboriginal group (16.4%)
- Highest % of people of Métis ethnic origin (12.0%)
- Highest % of people with Dene as their mother tongue (10.5%)
In 2004, it was renamed "Desnethé—Missinippi—Churchill River".
2006 election controversy
In the 2006 federal election, Liberal candidate Gary Merasty defeated incumbent Conservative MP Jeremy Harrison by a slim margin of 68 votes after trailing much of the election night, despite Harrison's vote increasing several points. Merasty's win raised issues of questionable tactics to increase voter turnout. However, an investigation conducted by Elections Canada determined that no wrongdoing had taken place.
2015 election recount
In the 2015 federal election, New Democrat candidate Georgina Jolibois defeated the Liberal candidate, Lawrence Joseph, by a narrow margin of 71 votes. Joseph requested a judicial recount of the votes.
Members of Parliament
This riding has elected the following members of the Canadian House of Commons:
Riding created from Prince Albert—Churchill River, Mackenzie
and The Battlefords—Meadow Lake
|36th||1997–2000||Rick Laliberte||New Democratic|
|42nd||2015–Present||Georgina Jolibois||New Democratic|
Desnethé—Missinippi—Churchill River, 2004–present
|Canadian federal election, 2015|
|New Democratic||Georgina Jolibois||10,319||34.15||-11.23||–|
|Total valid votes/Expense limit||30,213||100.00||$227,329.67|
|Total rejected ballots||91||0.30||–|
|New Democratic gain from Conservative||Swing||+2.76|
|These results were subject to a judicial recount and modified from the validated results in accordance with the Judge's rulings. The margin of Georgina Jolibois over Lawrence Joseph increased from 71 votes to 82 votes as a result of the recount.|
|Source: Elections Canada|
|2011 federal election redistributed results|
|Canadian federal election, 2011|
|New Democratic||Lawrence Joseph||9,715||44.30||+26.53||$74,655|
|Total valid votes/Expense limit||21,928||100.00||–|
|Total rejected ballots||95||0.43||-0.11|
|Canadian federal election, 2008|
|New Democratic||Brian Morin||3,414||17.77||+0.24||$1,459|
|First Peoples National||Rob Ballantyne||282||1.47||–||–|
|Total valid votes/Expense limit||19,209||100.00||$90,390|
|Total rejected ballots||105||0.54||+0.19|
|By-election on March 17, 2008|
|New Democratic||Brian Morin||1,830||17.53||+2.16|
|Total valid votes||10,438||100.00|
|Total rejected ballots||37||0.35||-0.01|
|Conservative gain from Liberal||Swing||-8.3|
|Canadian federal election, 2006|
|New Democratic||Anita Jackson||3,787||15.37||-4.72||$43,976|
|Total valid votes||24,636||100.00||–|
|Total rejected ballots||88||0.36||-0.03|
|Liberal gain from Conservative||Swing||-3.9|
|Canadian federal election, 2004|
|New Democratic||Earl Cook||3,910||20.09||-1.72||$9,005|
|Total valid votes||19,466||100.00||–|
|Total rejected ballots||76||0.39||-0.01|
|Conservative gain from Liberal||Swing||-6.8|
Note: Conservative vote is compared to the total of the Canadian Alliance vote and Progressive Conservative vote in the 2000 election.
Churchill River, 1997–2004
|Canadian federal election, 2000|
|New Democratic||Ray Funk||5,141||21.81||-12.72||$48,853|
|Progressive Conservative||David J. Rogers||755||3.20||-1.90||–|
|Canadian Action||Brendan Cross||143||0.61||–||$1,398|
|Total valid votes||23,574||100.00||–|
|Total rejected ballots||95||0.40||-0.09|
|Liberal gain from New Democrat||Swing||-13.1|
Note: Canadian Alliance vote is compared to the Reform vote in the 1997 election.
|Canadian federal election, 1997|
|New Democratic||Rick Laliberte||7,288||34.53||–||$41,198|
|Progressive Conservative||Bert Provost||1,077||5.10||–||$79|
|Total valid votes||21,109||100.00||–|
|Total rejected ballots||105||0.49|
- Statistics Canada: 2012
- Statistics Canada: 2012
- "Aboriginal Identity (8), Sex (3) and Age Groups (12) for the Population of Canada, Provinces, Territories and Federal Electoral Districts (2003 Representation Order), 2006 Census - 20% Sample Data". 2.statcan.gc.ca. Retrieved 2012-11-17.
- "2Profile of Ethnic Origin and Visible Minorities for Canada, Provinces, Territories and Federal Electoral Districts (2003 Representation Order), 2006 Census". 2.statcan.gc.ca. Retrieved 2012-12-02.
- "2011 Census of Canada: Topic-based tabulations | Detailed Mother Tongue (232), Knowledge of Official Languages (5), Age Groups (17A) and Sex (3) for the Population Excluding Institutional Residents of Canada, Provinces, Territories and Federal Electoral Districts (2003 Representation Order), 2011 Census". 2.statcan.gc.ca. Retrieved 2012-11-16.
- "Chief responds to TV-for-votes allegation". CBC News. 2006-01-27. Retrieved 2015-10-31.
- "Commissioner of Canada Elections Finds No Wrongdoing in Federal Vote Held in Riding of Desnethé–Missinippi–Churchill River, Saskatchewan". Elections Canada. 2006-10-26. Archived from the original on 2007-11-08.
- "Judicial recount to be held in Desnethé-Missinippi-Churchill River". CBC News. 2015-10-30. Retrieved 2015-10-31.
- "NDP candidate wins Saskatchewan riding after recount: Elections Canada". CTV News. 3 November 2015. Retrieved 3 November 2015.
- Elections Canada – Confirmed candidates for Desnethé—Missinippi—Churchill River, 30 September 2015
- Elections Canada – Preliminary Election Expenses Limits for Candidates
- Pundits' Guide to Canadian Elections
- Riding history for Churchill River (1996–2004) from the Library of Parliament
- Riding history for Desnethé—Missinippi—Churchill River (2004– ) from the Library of Parliament
- Expenditures - 2008
- Expenditures - 2004
- Expenditures - 2000
- Expenditures - 1997
- Website of the Parliament of Canada