Detention (2011 film)
This article needs additional citations for verification. (August 2012) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Theatrical release poster
|Directed by||Joseph Kahn|
|Music by||Brain & Melissa|
|Edited by||David Blackburn|
Detention Films, LLC
|Distributed by||Sony Pictures|
Detention is a 2011 American satirical horror film directed by Joseph Kahn, and co-written with Mark Palermo. The film premiered March 2011 in Austin, Texas at SXSW. Detention stars Josh Hutcherson, Dane Cook, Spencer Locke, Shanley Caswell, Walter Perez, Organik and Erica Shaffer. Produced by Richard Weager and MaryAnne Tanedo.
A serial killer known as Cinderhella is on the loose and preying on Grizzly Lake High's student body. The principal is certain Cinderhella is a disgruntled student at the school and puts the likely suspects - including suicidal Riley, self-absorbed Ione, and hipster Clapton - in all-day (10:00 AM–10:00 PM) detention on prom night. Potentially trapped in a room with a murderer, Riley, Ione, and Clapton are forced to work together to stop Cinderhella from killing again, unaware that they're dealing with sinister supernatural forces.
- Josh Hutcherson as Clapton Davis
- Shanley Caswell as Riley Jones
- Spencer Locke as Ione Foster / Sloan Foster
- Aaron David Johnson as Sander Sanderson
- Walter Perez as Elliot Fink
- Dane Cook as Principal Karl Verge
- Erica Shaffer as Sloan Foster
- Yves Bright as Mr. Kendall
- Parker Bagley as Billy Nolan
- Tiffany Boone as Mimi
- Alison Woods as Taylor Fisher
- Lindsey Morgan as Alexis Spencer
- Jonathan "Dumbfoundead" Park as Toshiba
- Travis "Organik" Fleetwood as Gord
- Marque Richardson as Toby T.
- Will Wallace as Doug Jones
- Ron Jeremy as Beauty Beast
- Richard Brake as Mr. Nolan
- Percy Daggs as Jock kid
Financed largely by Joseph Kahn himself, principal photography began in Los Angeles, California in August 2010 and finished shooting October 2010. The Director of Photography, Christopher Probst, shot the film digitally on Red Ones. The production set visual effects supervisor is Chris Watts and post production visual effects supervision by Ingenuity Engine in Hollywood, California. Production Design for the film was by veteran music video and commercial designer, Marcelle Gravel.
Detention won the Youth Jury Prize at the 2011 Seattle International Film Festival. The film also won L’Écran Fantastique Prize 2011 at Montreal's Fantasia Film Festival as well as the Midnight Extreme Award at Spain's Sitges. London's Frightfest gave it the Biggest Surprise Award and organizer Alan Jones named Detention as his overall favorite film of the festival in 2011. Critic Devin Faraci called Detention "Insane, Hyperkinetic, Next Level Filmmaking." Drew McWeeny of Hitfix described it a "manic throwback horror comedy for the Twitter generation." Quint of Aint-It-Cool-News raved "time traveling teen pop culture comedy Detention is a runaway freight train of frenetic energy!" Renn Brown of CHUD said "Detention may very well be completely brilliant (5 of 5 stars)." Kevin Sommerfield from Slasher Studios also gave it a glowing review stating the film "is Scream meets Scott Pilgrim with a dash or two of Kaboom, it makes for one wild cocktail."
- Palermo, Mark, "Fast Times at Grizzly Lake High", The Coast
- on YouTube
- Pollock, Jason (2011-03-21). "SXSW/American Cinematographer – Detention's Christopher Probst". CHUD.com. Retrieved 2012-07-15.
- "Sony Pictures Worldwide Takes On "Detention" | Filmmakers, Film Industry, Film Festivals, Awards & Movie Reviews". Indiewire. 2011-06-15. Retrieved 2012-07-15.
- "37th Seattle International Film Festival Wraps With 2011 Golden Space Needle Awards < News < Seattle International Film Festival". Siff.net. December 6, 2011. Archived from the original on March 16, 2013. Retrieved July 15, 2012.
- Film Fests Fantastic Fest FrightFest UK (2011-09-01). "FrightFest 2011: Ben's Report". Brutal As Hell. Retrieved 2012-07-15.
- "Movie Review: DETENTION Is Insane, Hyperkinetic, Next Level Filmmaking". Badass Digest. 2011-04-06. Retrieved 2012-07-15.
- McWeeny, Drew (2011-03-16). "SXSW Review: Joseph Kahns Detention is manic throwback horror comedy for Twitter generation". Hitfix.com. Retrieved 2012-07-15.
- "Ain't It Cool News: The best in movie, TV, DVD, and comic book news". Aintitcool.com. Retrieved 2012-07-15.
- Brown, Renn (2011-03-17). "Festival Review: DETENTION (SXSW '11)". CHUD.com. Retrieved 2012-07-15.
- Sommerfield, Kevin (2012-08-02). "Hip "Detention" Plays As Wild Slasher Cocktail With No Hangover". slasherstudios.com. Retrieved 2012-08-04.