Detention (2011 film)
This article needs additional citations for verification. (August 2012) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Theatrical release poster
|Directed by||Joseph Kahn|
|Music by||Brain and Melissa|
|Edited by||David Blackburn|
|Distributed by||Samuel Goldwyn Films|
Detention is a 2011 American satirical horror film directed by Joseph Kahn, and co-written with Mark Palermo. The film premiered in March 2011 at SXSW in Austin, Texas. Detention stars Josh Hutcherson, Shanley Caswell, Spencer Locke, and Dane Cook
A serial killer known as Cinderhella is on the loose and preying on Grizzly Lake High's student body. The principal is certain Cinderhella is a disgruntled student at the school and puts the likely suspects - including suicidal Riley, self-absorbed Ione, and hipster Clapton - in all-day (10:00 AM–10:00 PM) detention on prom night. Potentially trapped in a room with a murderer, Riley, Ione, and Clapton are forced to work together to stop Cinderhella from killing again, unaware that they're dealing with sinister supernatural forces.
- Josh Hutcherson as Clapton Davis
- Shanley Caswell as Riley Jones
- Spencer Locke as Ione Foster / Sloan Foster
- Aaron David Johnson as Sander Sanderson
- Walter Perez as Elliot Fink
- Dane Cook as Principal Karl Verge
- Erica Shaffer as Sloan Foster
- Yves Bright as Mr. Kendall
- Parker Bagley as Billy Nolan
- Tiffany Boone as Mimi
- Alison Woods as Taylor Fisher
- Lindsey Morgan as Alexis Spencer
- Jonathan "Dumbfoundead" Park as Toshiba
- Travis "Organik" Fleetwood as Gord
- Marque Richardson as Toby T.
- Will Wallace as Doug Jones
- Ron Jeremy as Beauty Beast
- Richard Brake as Mr. Nolan
- Percy Daggs as Jock kid
Financed largely by Joseph Kahn himself, principal photography began in Los Angeles in August 2010 and finished shooting October 2010. The Director of Photography, Christopher Probst, shot the film digitally on Red Ones. The production set visual effects supervisor is Chris Watts and post production visual effects supervision by Ingenuity Engine in Hollywood, California. Production design for the film was done by veteran music video and commercial designer Marcelle Gravel.
Sony Pictures Worldwide Acquisitions acquired this film's worldwide distribution rights. The film was released to select theaters in the United States on April 13, 2012, by Samuel Goldwyn Films, followed by a Canadian release on April 27.
This section needs expansion. You can help by adding to it. (August 2018)
On Rotten Tomatoes, the film holds an approval rating of 41% based on 44 reviews, with a weighted average rating of 4.86/10. On Metacritic, which assigns a normalized rating to reviews, the film has a weighted average score of 45 out of 100, based on 14 critics, indicating "mixed or average reviews".
Justine Elias from Slant Magazine gave the film 3/4 stars, writing, "For gorehounds lured in by the poster and trailer, Detention will be disappointingly un-gorey. But for pop-culture pilgrims intent on discovering an underground prize, look no further." Brett Gallman from Oh, the Horror! gave the film a positive review, writing, "Smart, funny, and equally full of splatstick violence and heart, Detention isn’t just next-level horror--it’s next level everything, a senses-altering reaffirmation of cinema." R.L. Shafer from IGN called it "a shockingly meaningful, potent film about the nature of meaninglessness and its damning effects on the younger generation".
David Nusair from Reel Film Reviews awarded the film a mixed 2/4 stars, writing, "while Kahn deserves some credit for attempting something different within the teen-movie genre, Detention is simply (and finally) too weird and too off-the-wall to become anything more than a mildly amusing curiosity." Nicolas Rapold from New York Times gave the film a negative review, writing, "Another entry in self-conscious one-upmanship, Detention is a horror comedy positively addled with retro references." Peter Hartlaub from The San Francisco Chronicle hated the film, "There will be young moviegoers who proclaim this genius, and more stodgy audience members who find it torturous. If you're not tweeting and texting a combined 50 times or more per day, you're probably in the latter camp."
Detention won the Youth Jury Prize at the 2011 Seattle International Film Festival. The film also won L’Écran Fantastique Prize 2011 at Montreal's Fantasia Film Festival as well as the Midnight Extreme Award at Spain's Sitges. London's Frightfest gave it the Biggest Surprise Award and organizer Alan Jones named Detention as his overall favorite film of the festival in 2011. Critic Devin Faraci called Detention "Insane, Hyperkinetic, Next Level Filmmaking." Drew McWeeny of Hitfix described it a "manic throwback horror comedy for the Twitter generation." Quint of Aint-It-Cool-News raved "time traveling teen pop culture comedy Detention is a runaway freight train of frenetic energy!" Renn Brown of CHUD said "Detention may very well be completely brilliant (5 of 5 stars)." Kevin Sommerfield from Slasher Studios also gave it a glowing review stating the film "is Scream meets Scott Pilgrim with a dash or two of Kaboom, it makes for one wild cocktail."
- Palermo, Mark, "Fast Times at Grizzly Lake High", The Coast
- on YouTube
- Pollock, Jason (March 21, 2011). "SXSW/American Cinematographer – Detention's Christopher Probst". CHUD.com. Retrieved July 15, 2012.
- Barker, Andrew (April 1, 2011). "Detention". Variety. Retrieved October 30, 2018.
- "Movie". MarcelleGravel.com. Retrieved October 30, 2018.
- "Sony Pictures Worldwide Takes On "Detention"". Indiewire. June 15, 2011. Retrieved July 15, 2012.
- Gilchrist, Todd (February 21, 2012). "'Detention:' Joseph Kahn's 'Time Traveling Horror Comedy' Scheduled for Release (Video)". The Hollywood Reporter. Retrieved August 13, 2019.
- Howell, Peter (April 26, 2012). "Detention review: A meta mess". thestar.com. Retrieved October 30, 2018.
- Haffner, Michael (May 25, 2012). "You are Scheduled to Report After School on July 31 for 'DETENTION' on DVD & Blu-ray". Destroy the Brain!. Retrieved October 30, 2018.
- "Detention (2012) - Rotten Tomatoes". Rotten Tomatoes.com. Flixer. Retrieved September 26, 2019.
- "Detention Reviews - Metacritic". Metacritic.com. Metacritic. Retrieved August 18, 2018.
- Elias, Justine. "Detention". Slant Magazine.com. Justine Elias. Retrieved August 18, 2018.
- Gallman, Brett. "Horror Reviews - Detention (2011)". Oh the Horror.com. Brett Gallman. Retrieved August 18, 2018.
- Shafer, R. "Detention Blu-ray Review - IGN". IGN.com. R.L. Shafer. Retrieved August 18, 2018.
- Nusair, David. "Two Thrillers from Sony - Reviews by David Nusair". Reel Film.com. David Nusair. Retrieved August 18, 2018.
- Rapold, Nicolas. "'Detention,' Directed by Joseph Kahn". The New York Times. Retrieved August 18, 2018.
- Hartlaub, Peter. "Movie review: 'Detention' - SFGate". SF Gate.com. Peter Hartlaub. Retrieved August 18, 2018.
- "37th Seattle International Film Festival Wraps With 2011 Golden Space Needle Awards < News < Seattle International Film Festival". Siff.net. December 6, 2011. Archived from the original on March 16, 2013. Retrieved July 15, 2012.
- Film Fests Fantastic Fest FrightFest UK (September 1, 2011). "FrightFest 2011: Ben's Report". Brutal As Hell. Archived from the original on March 10, 2012. Retrieved July 15, 2012.
- "Movie Review: DETENTION Is Insane, Hyperkinetic, Next Level Filmmaking". Badass Digest. April 6, 2011. Retrieved July 15, 2012.
- McWeeny, Drew (March 16, 2011). "SXSW Review: Joseph Kahns Detention is manic throwback horror comedy for Twitter generation". Hitfix.com. Archived from the original on July 31, 2012. Retrieved July 15, 2012.
- "Ain't It Cool News: The best in movie, TV, DVD, and comic book news". Aintitcool.com. Retrieved July 15, 2012.
- Brown, Renn (March 17, 2011). "Festival Review: DETENTION (SXSW '11)". CHUD.com. Retrieved July 15, 2012.
- Sommerfield, Kevin (August 2, 2012). "Hip "Detention" Plays As Wild Slasher Cocktail With No Hangover". slasherstudios.com. Retrieved August 4, 2012.