Detention (TV series)
|Created by||Bob Doucette|
|Developed by||Julie McNally-Cahill
|Voices of||Tara Strong
James L. Venable
|Country of origin||United States|
|No. of seasons||1|
|No. of episodes||13 (list of episodes)|
|Executive producer(s)||Jean MacCurdy|
|Running time||30 minutes|
|Production company(s)||Warner Bros. Animation|
|Distributor||Warner Bros. Television Distribution|
|Original network||Kids' WB|
|Audio format||Dolby Surround|
|Original release||September 11, 1999– March 25, 2000|
Detention is an American animated television series that premiered on Kids' WB on September 11, 1999 and was created by Bob Doucette.
The TV series is about a group of eight troubled sixth grade students from Benedict Arnold Middle School who continually find themselves in detention. The kids are constantly trying to stay out of detention and out of trouble.
- Shareena Wickett (voiced by Tara Strong) - A 12-year-old Goth girl that prefers to be a free spirit and finds pleasure in the sublime. Shareena's beliefs are not taken seriously by her parents. Her hobbies include reading horror stories and performing séances.
- Eugenia P. Kisskillya (voiced by Kathleen Freeman) – The Physical education teacher and detention monitor of Benedict Arnold Middle School. Having been a military sergeant in the Marine Corps, Miss Kisskillya bosses the children around like such and usually pronounces "detention" as "dee-tennnn-shun!!" The only student she likes is Shelley Kelly, who serves as her "Teacher's Pet" and whom she refers to as "Private Kelly". Despite usually being oftentimes tyrannical towards the children, she has been shown to be a nice person. She is based on creator Bob Doucette's grade school teacher who was a nun, as well as Freeman's character of the strict Sister Mary Stigmata from The Blues Brothers and Blues Brothers 2000.
- Emmitt Roswell (voiced by Billy West) – A conspiracy theorist who believes that intelligent life exists in outer space and is determined to make contact with aliens. As revealed in Boyz 'n The Parenthood, Emmitt has an estranged father.
- Jim Kim (voiced by writer Roger Eschbacher) – A shy kid with a love for comic book superheroes. He takes on the characters' attributes at inopportune times.
- Ramone "Gug" Gugleamo (voiced by Carlos Alazraqui) – A short kid with a short temper. Constantly left out of competitive sports, Gug constantly picks fights with kids twice his own size and has even wanted to take down Miss Kisskillya. He and Emmitt have their occasional rivalries, however, they both agree on their lack of patience with Jim.
- Duncan Bubble – A quiet boy who is always playing with a yo-yo and never speaks. He instead uses his yo-yo to spell out messages (for example, "Thanks You guys", "Boring", and "Yeah"), accompanied by an electronic voice (done by creator Bob Doucette) reading the message. He is based on a deaf friend Doucette had during production.
- Shelley Kelly (voiced by Pamelyn Ferdin) – An optimistic and peppy girl who wears a Ladybug Scout uniform every day. She constantly kisses up to Miss Kisskillya and has a crush on Emmitt. As a result, she is often detested by the other kids, whom she wishes to be friends with. However, on some occasions Shelley is often an ally to the kids.
- Lemonjella and Orangejella LaBelle (voiced by Tia Mowry and Tamera Mowry) – A pair of identical twins. They have been known to get themselves in trouble by hacking into the school computers and deleting library fines. Their scientific descriptions sometimes confuse Miss Kisskillya. They have shown to be competitive with each other.
In the fall of 1999, the show aired on Saturdays at 10:30 a.m. and 11:00 a.m.EST. In the spring of 2000, the show moved to 11:30 a.m. EST on Saturdays. Reruns of the TV series aired on the Kids' WB Friday afternoon lineup from September 8, 2000 until August 31, 2001.
|Title||Original air date|
|1||"Shareena Takes The Cake"||September 11, 1999|
|Shareena misses her chance to get tickets to a rock concert because Miss Kisskillya gives her detention. So she decides to team up with Shelley in the Home Economics Bake-Off to get even with her by creating a volcano cake. Meanwhile, Emmitt, Gug, Jim, and Duncan try to get Duncan's yo-yo back from Miss Kisskillya.|
|2||"The Man With The Golden Brain"||September 18, 1999|
|The gang represents the school in a spelling bee. But when Lemonjella and Orangejella start to get competitive with each other, the gang has to intervene.|
|3||"What Did You Séance?"||September 25, 1999|
|The gang holds meetings to receive spiritualistic messages.|
|4||"The Contest"||October 9, 1999|
|The gang has a contest to see who can stay out of detention, except for Shelly, who tries to get in detention instead.|
|5||"Too Good To Be Truant"||October 23, 1999|
|Shareena and Shelley decide to skip school and Miss Kisskillya tries to find them. Meanwhile, Emmitt and Gug try to compete for class president, throwing Jim in between.|
|6||"Breaking Out"||November 6, 1999|
|Shareena hears that the star of the hit WT show "Lawson's Lake" is going to be at the library, so they break out of school to see him, even going far enough to use a bulldozer.|
|7||"Comedy of Terrors"||November 13, 1999|
|Shareena auditions for a part in a school play, but it is Gug who lands the role, sparking jealousy in Shareena.|
|8||"Little Miss Popular"||November 20, 1999|
|Shareena prepares for a television quiz show and starts to hang out with popular girls, much to the dismay of the others.|
|9||"Capitol Punishment"||December 4, 1999|
|All of the kids, except for Shelley, go to Washington, D.C. with Miss Kisskillya. Meanwhile, the kids begin to wreak havoc in the hotel with antics such as Jim going on the loose stealing ice and Shelley goes to great lengths to get to Washington.|
|10||"The Blame Game"||January 8, 2000|
|The gang constantly blames each other when one of them loses something.|
|11||"Boyz 'N The Parenthood"||February 5, 2000|
|The gang gets paired with each other to take care of water balloons as an assignment for parenting. But while Shareena is stuck with the "baby", Emmitt tries to wait for his father.|
|12||"A Friend In Greed"||March 4, 2000|
|The kids try to find treasure, but their focus on greed forces them to lose it to Mrs. Kisskillya.|
|13||"Rule The School"||March 25, 2000|
|When Emmitt and Jim become tied as Principals for the Day, they begin to take things too far, even causing the LaBelle twins to get detention. Tired of Jim and Emmitt's antics, Gug teams up with Miss Kisskillya to strip them of their newfound power.|
- "Detention Cast and Details". TV Guide.