From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
View east along MD 77 in Detour
|Time zone||Eastern (EST) (UTC-5)|
|• Summer (DST)||EDT (UTC-4)|
A post office called Detour was established in 1905, and remained in operation until 1993. According to tradition, the indirect route of the railroad extending to the site accounts for the name.
- "US Gazetteer files: 2010, 2000, and 1990". United States Census Bureau. 2011-02-12. Retrieved 2011-04-23.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Archived from the original on 2013-09-11. Retrieved 2011-05-14.
- "Geographic Names Information System". Detour (Populated Place). U.S. Geological Survey. 2009-01-29.
- "Post Offices". Jim Forte Postal History. Retrieved 5 January 2017.
- Moyer, Armond; Moyer, Winifred (1958). The origins of unusual place-names. Keystone Pub. Associates. p. 33.
- National Park Service (2008-04-15). "National Register Information System". National Register of Historic Places. National Park Service.
|This article about a location in Carroll County Maryland is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|