|Place of origin||United States|
|Region or state||Detroit|
|Main ingredients||Pizza dough, tomato sauce, brick cheese|
Detroit-style pizza is a style of pizza developed in Detroit, Michigan. It is a rectangular pizza that has a thick crisp crust and toppings such as pepperoni and mushrooms. The difference between Detroit-style pizza, Chicago and New York styles is the crust, which is extra thick and very crispy on the bottom. The rectangular-shaped pizza is the result of being baked in a square pan, which is often not a pizza pan; industrial parts trays are often used, which were originally made to hold small parts in factories.
The crust of a Detroit-style pizza is occasionally twice-baked and it is usually baked in a well-oiled pan to a chewy medium-well-done state that gives the bottom and edges of the crust a fried or crunchy texture. Some parlors will apply melted butter with a soft brush prior to baking. The resulting pizza has a chewy texture.
|Part of a series on|
The origins of "Detroit-style" pizza can be traced back historically to Buddy's Rendezvous in 1946, which later became Buddy's Pizza. Over the next several decades, the chain grew and developed, cooks moved on and, in some cases, they opened their own pizzerias. Cloverleaf, which was later founded by Gus Guerra as an Italian restaurant in Eastpointe, serves Detroit Style Pan Pizza as does Luigi's "the Original", the Shield's Pizza chain and Loui's Pizza in Hazel Park. In 2009, both Buddy's Detroit-style square pizza and Luigi's "the Original" of Harrison Township were singled out as two of the 25 best pizzas in America by GQ magazine food critic Alan Richman.
- Day, Jennifer (August 23, 2018). "Detroit-Style Pizza, a Motor City Classic, Revs Up Chicago Dining Scene". Chicago Tribune. Retrieved August 29, 2018.
- Rector, Sylvia (January 23, 2011). "Shortage of steel pans has Detroit-style pizza makers scrambling". Detroit Free Press. Retrieved November 23, 2012.
- 25 best pizzas around the country, May 22, 2009
- "Sandwich Monday: Little Caesars' Bacon-Wrapped Crust Pizza". NPR. 23 February 2015. Retrieved 2 January 2016.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Detroit-style pizza.|
- Rector, Sylvia (March 31, 2011). "Detroit-style pizza gaining fame, winning fans nationwide". Detroit Free Press. Retrieved March 31, 2013.
- Woods, Ashley C. (January 18, 2012). "Blogger invents the all-crust Detroit pan pizza". Michigan Live. Retrieved November 23, 2012.
- "Buddy's Pizza revives Detroit tradition: Friday night bocce is back". The Detroit News. August 12, 2007. Retrieved November 23, 2012. (subscription required)