|Full name||Waza Flo|
|Stadium||Dort Federal Credit Union Event Center
|League||Major Arena Soccer League|
|2014–15||4th, Eastern Division
|Website||Club home page|
The Waza Flo are an American professional arena soccer team and a member of the Major Arena Soccer League (MASL). The team's nickname, "Waza", is both a Japanese word that means "good technique" and a Swahili word meaning "to think clearly".
The team was founded in 2008 as Detroit Waza Flo, and were a charter member of PASL-pro, the league that was an offshoot of the Professional Arena Soccer League (PASL) and would eventually be rechristened the MASL in 2014. The team had 3 homes during its 7 seasons in the Detroit area, the last 2 of which were at the Melvindale Ice Arena in suburban Melvindale, Michigan. In September 2015, the team announced it would play its home matches for the 2015-16 MASL season at the Dort Federal Credit Union Event Center in Flint, Michigan. As part of the process, the team dropped the "Detroit" from its name and logo, becoming simply Waza Flo; should they receive a welcome reception in Flint, team ownership noted it would consider adding "Flint" to the team's name.
The Waza Flo also has a reserve team, Waza Premier, that plays in MASL's official development league, the Premier Arena Soccer League.
as of 2014-2015 season Note: Flags indicate national team as defined under FIFA eligibility rules. Players may hold more than one non-FIFA nationality.
- Dominic Scicluna - Co-Owner/Captain
- Mario Scicluna - Co-Owner
- Costea Decu - Captain
- Mali Walton
- Dave West "Westy"
Kathy Coyne - General Manager Kelly Haapala - Director of Operations Kate Avery - Administrative Director
|League Champions||Runners-Up||Division Champions||Playoff Berth|
|Year||Win||Loss||League||Reg. Season||Playoffs||Attendance||U.S. Open Cup|
|2008–09||7||9||PASL-Pro||4th Eastern||DNQ||3,324||Championship Game|
|2010–11||8||8||PASL-Pro||3rd Eastern||DNQ||301||Round of 16|
|2011–12||13||3||PASL||1st Eastern||Lost Finals||454||Quarter-Finals|
|2012–13||14||2||PASL||1st Eastern||Lost Finals||410||U.S. Open Cup Champions|
|2013–14||10||5||PASL||2nd Eastern||Lost Divisional Playoff||565||Round of 16|
|2015–16||9||9||MASL||3rd Eastern||Lost Divisional Playoff||968||N/A|
Awards and honors
- 2011-12 PASL Eastern Division
- 2012-13 PASL Eastern Division
- Compuware Arena, Plymouth, Michigan (2008-2009)
- Taylor Sportsplex, Taylor, Michigan (2009-2013)
- Melvindale Ice Arena, Melvindale, Michigan (2013-2015)
- Dort Federal Credit Union Event Center, Flint, Michigan (2015-present)
- Camara, Juan (February 26, 2013). "Detroit Waza Flo looking for recognition". The News-Herald. Southgate, MI: Journal Register Company. Retrieved March 1, 2013.
- Schikora, Steven (November 12, 2013). "Waza Flo teams up with Hooligans for Heroes to help Wounded Warrior Project". The News-Herald. Southgate, MI: 21st Century Newspapers. Retrieved November 17, 2013.
- Woodyard, Eric (September 29, 2015). "Major Arena Soccer League team moves home games to Flint's Dort Federal Event Center". The Flint Journal. Flint, MI: Booth Newspapers. Retrieved October 29, 2015.