|Related brands||Lysol, another product made by the same company|
Muse (in Japan and Thailand)
|Markets||Worldwide (except the United States)|
|Tagline||"Keep the memories, but not the bacteria"|
Dettol is a cleaning disinfectant and antiseptic. It was introduced in 1932 by the British company Reckitt. In Germany, it is sold under the name Sagrotan.
Prior to 2002, some Dettol products were branded Dettox.
Dettol Antiseptic Disinfectant Liquid
The active ingredient in Dettol that provides its antiseptic property is chloroxylenol (C8H9ClO), an aromatic chemical compound. Chloroxylenol comprises 4.9% total admixture, with the rest made up of pine oil, isopropanol, castor oil, soap and water.
Circa 1978, "household Dettol" contained chloroxylenol (48 g/L), terpineol, and ethyl alcohol.
The original Dettol liquid antiseptic and disinfectant is light yellow in colour in the concentrated form but, as several of the ingredients are insoluble in water, it produces a milky emulsion of oil droplets when diluted with water, exhibiting the ouzo effect.
Dettol Antibacterial Surface Cleanser and Dettol Antibacterial Wipes contain benzalkonium chloride as the active ingredient.
- ^ a b c Viveat Susan Pinto (12 March 2015). "40 years ago...And now: Not just germs, Dettol fights rivals unabated". Business Standard India. Archived from the original on 30 March 2017. Retrieved 14 July 2020.
- ^ "Ihr Partner für nachhaltige Desinfektion". Sagrotan. Retrieved 3 September 2020.
- ^ "Stretching brands to the limit". Business Standard. Retrieved 31 August 2021
- ^ "Dettol Liquid, Reckitt Benckiser Healthcare (UK) Ltd". medicines.org.uk. Retrieved 14 May 2020.
- ^ Pieter Joubert; Hans Hundt; Pieter Du Toit (8 April 1978). "Severe Dettol (chloroxylenol and terpineol) poisoning". British Medical Journal. 1 (6117): 890. doi:10.1136/bmj.1.6117.890. PMC 1603731. PMID 638509.
- ^ "Dettol liquid antiseptic and disinfectant". dettolarabia.com. Retrieved 19 June 2020.
- ^ "Bleach Free Antibacterial Surface Wipes". www.dettol.co.in. Retrieved 4 March 2020.