Devils Head (summit)
View of Devils Head from Castle Rock, Colorado
|Elevation||9,749 ft (2,971 m) |
|Prominence||1,248 ft (380 m) |
|Isolation||7.99 mi (12.86 km) |
|Location||Douglas County, Colorado, U.S.|
|Parent range||Front Range, Rampart Range|
|Topo map||USGS 7.5' topographic map|
Devils Head, Colorado
|Easiest route||Devil's Head Trailhead #611(Devil's Head National Recreation Trail)|
Devils Head is a mountain summit in the Rampart Range of the Rocky Mountains of Colorado. The 9,749-foot (2,971 m) peak is located in Pike National Forest, 14.2 miles (22.9 km) southwest by south (bearing 210°) of the community of Sedalia in Douglas County, Colorado, United States.
Devils Head name comes from prospectors of the late 1800s. From the southwest of Devils Head, and looking northeast toward the mountain, one can see a shape of a face laying flat, as if the mountain was looking up. Some of the forest has softened the looks, as there used to be a more obvious eye socket, and facial features. However, from this angle, one is still able to see the face and even horns.
- The Sleeping Indian
- Camels Back
- Devils Head – 1923 
- Platte Mountain
- Warrens Crag
- List of Colorado mountain ranges
- List of Colorado mountain summits
- List of Colorado county high points
- "DEVILS HEAD". NGS data sheet. U.S. National Geodetic Survey. Retrieved November 4, 2014.
- The elevation of Devils Head includes an adjustment of +1.239 m (+4.06 ft) from NGVD 29 to NAVD 88.
- "Devils Head, Colorado". Peakbagger.com. Retrieved November 4, 2014.
- "Devils Head". Geographic Names Information System. United States Geological Survey. Retrieved November 4, 2014.
- Devil's Head Trailhead #611 (Devil's Head National Recreation Trail) on Pike National Forest Website
- Devils Head on listsofjohn.org
- Devils Head on peakery.com
- Devils Head on summitpost.org
|This Colorado state location article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|