|Origin||Hamilton, New Zealand|
|Years active||2010 – present|
|Past members||Rob McWhanell|
Devilskin is a four-piece alternative metal band from Hamilton, New Zealand, formed in June 2010. The band consists of Jennie Skulander (lead vocals), Tony 'Nail' Vincent (lead guitar), Paul Martin (bass, backing vocals) and Nic Martin (drums).
Devilskin's debut album, We Rise was released on 11 July 2014 and peaked at #1 on the Official New Zealand Music Chart, and spent 47 weeks in the chart. It was certified Platinum by Recorded Music NZ in March 2015. The bands sophomore album, Be Like the River, was released on November 11, 2016 and also peaked at #1.
- 1 History
- 2 Musical style and influences
- 3 Band members
- 4 Awards and nominations
- 5 Discography
- 6 Notes
- 7 References
Early years (2010–2013)
Devilskin originated in Hamilton, New Zealand in 2010. Founding member Paul Martin was going through bands that were sent to him to play on his The Axe Attack radio show and found a demo from a Rotorua band called Slipping Tongue, with member Jennie Skulander on vocals. Martin bumped into Skulander in Hamilton in 2010, moving there after the breakup of Slipping Tongue. After lots of persisting from Martin, they both agreed to form a band, enlisting Nail Vincent from Chuganaut (one of Hamilton's leading hard rock bands) and local drummer, Rob McWhanell, to play drums for the band. After a few shows, Rob was involved in a motorcycle accident and need to have an operation, forcing Martin to "press-gang" his son, Nic Martin, into temporarily replacing him. The band then decided to take on Nic as the full-time drummer. With the band lineup settled, Vincent and Paul Martin solidified the Devilskin image by adopting their distinctive pink goatees.
We Rise and subsequent tour (2014–2015)
The writing of material for We Rise occurred over a period of several years. The album was recorded within three weeks at York Street Studios in Auckland. In May 2014, Devilskin released the single 'Start a Revolution', peaking at 28 on the NZ Singles Chart. Following this they released their debut album, We Rise debuting at number 1 on the national album chart in 2014, knocking Ed Sheeran's X album off the top of the chart, and became the nation's biggest selling independent release of the year. By March 2015, We Rise went platinum, having sold an excess in 15,000 copies, being the first NZ rock/metal album to do so since Shihad's Killjoy album 18 years prior. We Rise stayed in the national album Chart for 95 weeks from 2014 to 2016.
The band accompanied We Rise with the live CD/DVD Live At The Powerstation' which debuted at number 12 on the NZ Album Chart in December 2014 and stayed on the chart for eight weeks.
Mountains and Be Like the River (2015–2017)
After sold-out album tour for We Rise and an 8 date 'Summer Surrender' tour in late 2014, Devilskin went offshore to play a series of promotional gigs, where they attracted the attention of international record companies and festival organizers, where they played the iconic Whisky a Go Go. The band returned home after this tour, to record to release a follow-up single Mountains, recorded whilst they were over in England. Following the supporting Mountains and the Moon tour, the band went to England to finish fully recording their follow-up album, Be Like the River. The albums first single, "Pray" was released on August 11, 2016. The full album was later released on November 11, 2016, and peaked at #1 on the Official New Zealand Music Chart, like its predecessor. To follow the album release, Devilskin went on a promotional tour, opening for acts such as Airbourne and playing at festivals such as the Download Festival.
NZ/UK tour and new single (2018–present)
At the start of 2018, the band announced their New Year 2018 tour, with Skinny Hobos and Seas of Conflict as opening acts. The band also played some new material throughout this concert.  On the 28th June, Devilskin announced their New Zealand and European tours via their Facebook page. In an interview with Paul Martin, he said he would like to take some of the bands new material "on a road test", opening up the potential for new music from the band. An interview with lead singer Jennie Skulander also confirmed this.
On the 7th of September, Devilskin announced their new single "Endo". Skulander has stated the song is about her surgery for Stage 4 Endomentrios. The song was also played throughout their NZ tour, along with some new material.
Musical style and influences
Lead singer Jennie Skulander has said that her influences include artists such as Mike Patton, Freddie Mercury, Ronnie James Dio, Cedric Bixler-Zavala, Claudio Sanchez and Jeff Buckley, to name a few. The band itself lists Saidaya, Subtract, 8 Foot Sativa, Cripple Mr Onion, Team Kill, World War Four and 8-Forty-8 as inspiration during the recording of their debut album; We Rise.
- Jennie Skulander – lead vocals (2010–present)
- Tony 'Nail' Vincent – guitar, backing vocals (2010–present)
- Paul Martin – bass, backing vocals (2010–present)
- Nic Martin – drums, piano (2010–present)
Awards and nominations
- 2014: Best Rock Album – "We Rise" (nominated)
- 2014: Breakthrough Artist of the Year (nominated)
- 2014: Best Engineer – "Clint Murphy" (nominated)
- 2017: Best Rock Album – "Be Like the River" (won)
- 2017: Best Group (nominated)
- 2017: Best Engineer – "Clint Murphy" (won)
|Live at the Powerstation||
|2016||Be Like the River||
|Year||Title||Peak chart positions||Album|
|2012||"Little Pills"||—||We Rise|
|2013||"Never See The Light"||—|
|2014||"Start a Revolution"||28|
|2015||"Mountains"||—||Be Like the River|
|2017||"Believe in Me"||—|
- https://www.loudersound.com/features/10-of-the-best-metal-bands-from-new-zealand 10 of the best metal bands from New Zealand] Retrieved 2 July 2018
- http://www.stuff.co.nz/marlborough-express/news/10271848/Devilskin-starting-a-revolution Devilskin starting a revolution] Retrieved 2 July 2018
- https://www.jbhifi.co.nz/metal-hard-rock/devilskin-live-at-the-powerstation/284885/ Devilskin: Live At The Powerstation] Retrieved 2 July 2018
- The Band - Devilskin Retrieved 1 March 2017
- Halestorm, Devilskin to tour NZ Retrieved 2 July 2018
- "The Band". Devilskin. Retrieved 2017-03-01.
- NZ Music Charts for 11 August 2014
- Hung, Steffen. "charts.org.nz - Discography Devilskin". charts.org.nz. Retrieved 2017-04-29.
- NZ Music Charts for 28 July 2014
- Floor, The 13th (2014-06-27). "Devilskin: The Family That Plays Together… (Interview)". The 13th Floor. Retrieved 2017-03-01.
- "Paul Martin - AudioCulture". www.audioculture.co.nz. Retrieved 2017-03-01.
- "The Rock 1000 + 500". www.therock.net.nz. Retrieved 2017-03-01.
- DEVILSKIN (2016-08-11), DEVILSKIN - PRAY [OFFICIAL MUSIC VIDEO], retrieved 2017-04-29
- "Airbourne & Devilskin - on sale now! | Licklist". licklist.co.uk. Retrieved 2017-04-29.
- "Devilskin to Play Download Festival | Scoop News". www.scoop.co.nz. Retrieved 2017-04-29.
- "Devilskin New Year 2018 Tour". Eventfinda. Retrieved 2018-07-02.
- "Concert Review - Devilskin & Sumo Cyco, Auckland New Zealand, 2017". Ambient Light. 2017-10-22. Retrieved 2018-07-02.
- "Devilskin". www.facebook.com. Retrieved 2018-07-02.
- "SunLive - Devilskin announce European tour - The Bay's News First". sunlive.co.nz. Retrieved 2018-07-02.
- "Taking Over The World With Heart And Drive: A Devilskin Interview". Ambient Light. 2017-09-27. Retrieved 2018-07-02.
- "Devilskin releases new song: ENDO - Endometriosis New Zealand". Endometriosis New Zealand. 2018-09-07. Retrieved 2018-09-08.
- "Devilskin Release Brave New Track with an Important Message | Scoop News". www.scoop.co.nz. Retrieved 2018-09-08.
- "Devilskin NZ Tour 2018". The Rock FM. Retrieved 2018-09-08.
- muzic.net.nz. "Interview: Devilskin - New Zealand Music Articles". www.muzic.net.nz. Retrieved 2018-07-02.
- muzic.net.nz. "Devilskin Newsletter Interview - New Zealand Music Articles". www.muzic.net.nz. Retrieved 2018-07-02.
- "Who are Devilskin". Devilskin. Retrieved 2017-04-19.
- "DEVILSKIN AWARDS AND HOT SUMMER TOUR DATES". MMF NZ. Retrieved 2018-07-02.
- "Hamilton locals Devilskin have chance at awards show success – The Waikato Independent". www.waikatoindependent.co.nz. Retrieved 2018-07-02.
- "Vodafone New Zealand Music Awards | Best Rock Artist 2017". www.nzmusicawards.co.nz. Retrieved 2018-07-02.
- "Devilskin | The Powerstation". www.powerstation.net.nz. Retrieved 2018-07-02.
- "What we listened to in 2014". Stuff. Fairfax. 18 December 2014. Retrieved 20 December 2014.
- "Top Selling Albums of 2015". Recorded Music NZ. Retrieved 25 December 2015.
- "DEVILSKIN IN NEW ZEALAND CHARTS". Charts.org.nz. Hung Medien. Retrieved 21 December 2014.
- "Devilskin having a platinum year". Voxy. Retrieved 11 March 2015.
- Hung, Steffen. "charts.org.nz - Devilskin - Be Like The River". charts.org.nz. Retrieved 2017-04-29.
- "NZ Heatseekers Singles Chart". Recorded Music NZ. 22 August 2016. Retrieved 19 August 2016.
- DEVILSKIN (2017-08-04), Devilskin - Believe in Me (Official Music Video), retrieved 2018-04-06
- "Features". Deezer. Retrieved 2018-04-06.
- Endo - Single by Devilskin, 2018-09-07, retrieved 2018-09-08