Location of Devola, Ohio
Detailed map of Devola
|• Total||5.4 sq mi (13.9 km2)|
|• Land||5.1 sq mi (13.3 km2)|
|• Water||0.2 sq mi (0.6 km2)|
|Elevation||682 ft (208 m)|
|• Density||539.9/sq mi (208.5/km2)|
|Time zone||Eastern (EST) (UTC-5)|
|• Summer (DST)||EDT (UTC-4)|
|GNIS feature ID||1085460|
Devola is a census-designated place (CDP) in Washington County, Ohio, United States, along the Muskingum River. It is part of the Parkersburg-Marietta-Vienna, WV-OH Metropolitan Statistical Area. The population was 2,771 at the 2000 census.
The community was named for the local Devol family. Captain Devol built a mill in 1807 at Devol's Dam. A post office called Devols Dam was established in 1881, and remained in operation until 1890.
Devola is located at (39.470334, -81.472759).
According to the United States Census Bureau, the CDP has a total area of 5.4 square miles (14 km2), of which 5.1 square miles (13 km2) is land and 0.2 square miles (0.52 km2) (4.10%) is water.
As of the census of 2000, there were 2,771 people, 1,065 households, and 803 families residing in the CDP. The population density was 539.9 people per square mile (208.6/km²). There were 1,136 housing units at an average density of 221.4/sq mi (85.5/km²). The racial makeup of the CDP was 97.58% White, 0.07% African American, 1.88% Asian, 0.07% from other races, and 0.40% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 0.11% of the population.
There were 1,065 households out of which 28.6% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 68.2% were married couples living together, 6.3% had a female householder with no husband present, and 24.6% were non-families. 22.1% of all households were made up of individuals and 12.2% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.46 and the average family size was 2.88.
In the CDP the population was spread out with 22.4% under the age of 18, 6.1% from 18 to 24, 22.4% from 25 to 44, 26.9% from 45 to 64, and 22.2% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 44 years. For every 100 females there were 93.1 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 88.3 males.
The median income for a household in the CDP was $48,558, and the median income for a family was $58,214. Males had a median income of $39,028 versus $26,833 for females. The per capita income for the CDP was $24,751. About 3.4% of families and 4.5% of the population were below the poverty line, including 7.8% of those under age 18 and 4.8% of those age 65 or over.
- "US Board on Geographic Names". United States Geological Survey. 2007-10-25. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Archived from the original on 2013-09-11. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- U.S. Geological Survey Geographic Names Information System: Devola, Ohio
- Hathaway, Seymour J. (1902). History of Marietta and Washington County, Ohio, and Representative Citizens. Biographical Publishing Company. p. 316.
- "Washington County". Jim Forte Postal History. Archived from the original on 18 January 2016. Retrieved 29 December 2015.
- "US Gazetteer files: 2010, 2000, and 1990". United States Census Bureau. 2011-02-12. Retrieved 2011-04-23.