|District of Devoll
Rrethi i Devollit
Map showing the district within Albania
|• Total||429 km2 (166 sq mi)|
|• Density||79/km2 (200/sq mi)|
The District of Devoll (Albanian: Rrethi i Devollit) is one of the thirty-six districts of Albania, part of Korçë County and derives its name from the Devoll river flowing through the valley. It has a population of 33,785, and an area of 429 km². It is in the southeastern corner of the country, and its capital is Bilisht. Its busy border point Kapshticë/Krystallopigi connects the district with the Greek regional units of Florina and Kastoria to the east and southeast. Devoll borders the district of Kolonjë to the southwest and Korçë to the west and north.
The district is known in history for the Devol fortress, where the Treaty of Devol between Bohemond I of Antioch and Byzantine Emperor Alexios I Komnenos was held in 1108. Its site became forgotten in modern times, however it has been tentatively identified with the site Zvezdë (located at ), a conjecture already proposed by the 19th century British traveller William Martin Leake in 1835.
The district consists of the following municipalities:
Communities and subdivisions
- Dritëro Agolli, Albanian writer.
- Eulogios Kourilas, Christian Orthodox Bishop of Korçë and author.
- Nikolaos Dailakis, Greek revolutionary of the Macedonian Struggle
- Kostandin Çekrezi, Albanian publicist and historian
- Bashkim M. Gjoza, Albanian poet and writer
- "POPULLSIA SIPAS PREFEKTURAVE, 2001–2010". Albanian Institute of Statistics. Retrieved 2010-09-09.
- "POPULLSIA SIPAS RRETHEVE, 2001-2010". Albanian Institute of Statistics. Retrieved 2010-09-09.
- Albania Gobernment - Flags, Maps, Economy, Geography, Climate...
- Talbert, Richard J. A., and Roger S. Bagnall, Barrington Atlas of the Greek and Roman World, Princeton University Press, 2000. p.752
- US National Geospacial Intelligence Agency, Search GNS Search
- Leake, William M., Travels in Northern Greece. London: J. Rodwell, 1835. p. 339.