|Traded as||NYSE: DVN
S&P 500 Component
|Headquarters||Devon Energy Center
Oklahoma City, Oklahoma
|J. Larry Nichols, Executive Chairman
Dave Hager, CEO
Natural Gas Liquids
|568 thousand barrels of oil equivalent (3,470,000 GJ) per day from retained assets|
|Revenue||US$12.197 billion (2016)|
|-US$2.895 billion (2016)|
|-US$3.302 billion (2016)|
|Total assets||US$25.913 billion (2016)|
|Total equity||US$10.375 billion (2016)|
Number of employees
|5,000, including 1,500 employed by EnLink (2015)|
Devon Energy Corporation is an independent natural gas, natural gas liquids, and petroleum exploration company focused on onshore exploration and production in North America. The company is headquartered in the 50-story Devon Energy Center, completed in 2012, in Oklahoma City, Oklahoma.
|Formation||Proved Reserves as of December 31, 2016
(% of total)
(thousand barrels of oil equivalent)
|Eagle Ford shale||4%||76|
|Heavy crude oil in Alberta, Canada||24%||134|
|STACK Formation in Oklahoma||19%||93|
As of December 31, 2016, the company had 2,058 billion barrels of oil equivalent in total proved reserves.
Devon is one of the largest energy producers in the Barnett Shale, where it controls 600,000 acres.
In August 2008, the founder, John Nichols, died.
In October 2012, the company completed construction of its current headquarters, the 50-story Devon Energy Center in Oklahoma City, Oklahoma and closed its office in the Allen Center in Downtown Houston.
In August 2015, Dave Hager was named President and chief executive officer of the company.
In 2017, the company sold its Lavaca County assets in the Eagle Ford.
|#||Year||Company||Price||Description of Assets||Ref(s).|
|1||1992||Hondo Oil and Gas||$122 million||Oil and gas reserves and seven natural gas processing plants|||
|2||1996||Kerr-McGee||$250 million||North American onshore oil and gas properties, 370,000 net acres of undeveloped drilling rights|||
|3||1998||Northstar Energy||$750 million||Oil and gas properties in Canada|||
|4||1999||PennzEnergy||$2.2 billion||Oil and gas properties in the Gulf Of Mexico|||
|5||2000||Santa Fe Snyder||$2.35 billion|||
|6||2001||Anderson Exploration||$4.6 billion||Canadian properties|||
|7||2002||Mitchell Energy||$3.5 billion||Properties in the Barnett Shale of Texas|||
|8||2003||Ocean Energy||$5.3 billion||Deepwater sites in the Gulf of Mexico|||
|9||2006||Chief Oil and Gas||$2.2 billion||Barnett Shale leasehold|||
|10||2014||GeoSouthern Energy||$6.1 billion||Eagle Ford assets|||
|11||2014||Crosstex Energy||Merger of midstream assets to form EnLink Midstream, LLC|||
|12||2015||Felix Energy||$2.5 billion||Assets in the Powder River Basin & Anadarko Basin|||
Shareholders have introduced several resolutions that would require the company to monitor its effect on climate change and to disclose its lobbying activity against regulations to prevent climate change.
In 2014, an investigation by The New York Times uncovered that a three-page letter from Oklahoma's Attorney General Scott Pruitt to the United States Environmental Protection Agency, bluntly accusing regulators of grossly overestimating the amount of air pollution caused by drilling of new natural gas wells, was actually written by an attorney for Devon. The investigation found that "attorneys general in at least a dozen states are working with energy companies and other corporate interests, which in turn are providing them with record amounts of money for their political campaigns, including at least $16 million this year."
Political contributions of Chairman J. Larry Nichols
In the third quarter of 2014, just before the midterm elections, Nichols made a $136,000 contribution to the Republican "Targeted State Victory" committee.
In 2015, Nichols agreed to lead the energy steering committee of Florida Senator Marco Rubio and made a $50,000 contribution to the super PAC supporting Rubio. Nichols stated that "excessive regulation squashes" energy innovation.
- Devon Energy Corporation 2016 Form 10-K Annual Report
- "Devon Energy #216". Fortune.
- "Former Accountant Worked to Build Devon Energy Into Industry Giant". The Wall Street Journal. August 9, 2008.(subscription required)
- "Devon Energy and Santa Fe Snyder Complete Merger" (Press release). PRNewswire. August 29, 2000.
- "BP pays Devon Energy $7bn for Brazilian, Azeri, and Gulf of Mexico assets". Reuters. The Daily Telegraph. March 11, 2010.
- Pulsinelli, Olivia (October 11, 2012). "Devon Energy cutting 1,000 jobs, slashing dividend". American City Business Journals.
- "Devon Energy Completes Sale of Canadian Conventional Assets" (Press release). Business Wire. April 2, 2014.
- "Devon Energy Completes Leadership Transition as Board of Directors Elects Dave Hager New President and CEO, Succeeding Retiring John Richels" (Press release). Business Wire. August 3, 2015.
- Wilmoth, Adam (February 16, 2016). "Devon Energy to lay off 700 in Oklahoma City". The Oklahoman.
- Baker, Max B. (February 17, 2016). "Devon Energy cutting 1,000 jobs, slashing dividend". Fort Worth Star Telegram.
- "Devon Energy Announces $340 Million of Non-Core Asset Sales" (Press release). Business Wire. July 31, 2017.
- "Hondo Oil Offer". The New York Times. February 29, 1992.
- Vandewater, Bob (January 1, 1997). "Devon Obtains Kerr-McGee Oil, Gas Properties". The Oklahoman.
- "Devon Energy and Northstar Energy to Combine: US$2 Billion Oil and Gas Company Would be Created" (Press release). PRNewswire. June 29, 1998.
- "Devon Energy and PennzEnergy Announce Completion of Merger" (Press release). PRNewswire. August 17, 1999.
- "Devon Energy to Acquire Anderson Exploration and Become North America's Largest Independent Producer of Oil and Natural Gas" (Press release). PRNewswire. September 4, 2001.
- "Devon Energy Completes Acquisition of Mitchell Energy" (Press release). PRNewswire. January 24, 2002.
- "Devon Energy and Ocean Energy Complete Merger; Creating Largest U.S. Independent Oil and Gas Producer" (Press release). PRNewswire. April 25, 2003.
- "Devon acquiring Barnett shale acreage from Chief". Oil & Gas Journal. May 8, 2006.
- "Devon Energy Completes Acquisition of Eagle Ford Assets from GeoSouthern Energy" (Press release). Business Wire. February 28, 2014.
- "Devon Energy and Crosstex Energy to Create New Midstream Business" (Press release). Business Wire. October 21, 2013.
- "Devon Energy Sharpens Focus on Core Assets" (Press release). Business Wire. December 7, 2015.
- Feder, Barnaby J. (February 27, 2004). "Funds Want Oil Companies To Report On Climate". The New York Times.(subscription required)
- Bogoslaw, David (January 11, 2016). "Shareholders ask oil producers for climate lobbying disclosure". Corporate Secretary.
- Lipton, Eric (December 6, 2014). "Energy Firms in Secretive Alliance With Attorneys General". The New York Times.(subscription required)
- Choma, Russ (October 7, 2014). "Super JFC Donors Emerge in Third Quarter". Center for Responsive Politics.
- Dloughy, Jennifer A. (February 22, 2016). "Fracking Pioneer Agrees to Guide Energy Policy for Rubio". Bloomberg L.P.
- Burke, Robert. Deals, Deals, and More Deals: The Life of John W. Nichols. Oklahoma Heritage Association. 2004.