Devonian Gardens (Calgary)
Waterfall in Devonian Gardens
|Area||2.5 acres (10,000 m2)|
|Operated by||City of Calgary|
|Status||reopen on June 27, 2012|
Located on the Stephen Avenue pedestrian mall (8 Avenue SW) between 2 Street SW and 3 Street SW, the park is completely enclosed with glass and covers 2.5 acres (10,000 m2) (one full city block) on the top floor of The Core Shopping Centre (formerly TD Square). It is maintained by The City of Calgary Parks.
The gardens include a living wall, koi ponds, fountains, a children's play area, and over 550 trees, as well as meeting/function space for special events. A full service restaurant is also planned.
Opened in 1977, Devonian Gardens was designed by J.H. Cook Architects and Engineers and donated to the City of Calgary by the Devonian Group of Charitable Foundations and Calford Properties. The construction cost was 9 million dollars.
The original gardens contained more than 20,000 plants representing 135 tropical and local species, decorated with waterfalls, bridges, koi ponds and sculptures by local artists, showcased as a permanent art exhibition.
A major redevelopment of The Core Shopping Centre (formerly TD Square) beneath the park began in 2008, requiring the gardens to close for renovations for 4 years. The changes include a wider, taller circulation space in the mall below and installation of a 3-block long, continuous skylight above. The gardens reopened on June 27, 2012 and features additional seating for the CORE food court, a playground and space for corporate events.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Devonian Gardens.|
- "Calgary's Devonian Gardens reopen". cbc.ca. 27 June 2012.
- http://www.calgaryherald.com/business/energy-resources/Devonian+Gardens+reopens+Calgary+after+four+years+million/6850782/story.html[dead link]
- http://www.calgaryherald.com/Devonian+Gardens+reopens+Calgary+after+four+years+million/6850782/story.html[dead link]
- Calgary Attractions - Devonian Gardens
- Calgary Newsroom - Devonian Gardens
- Calgary Herald. 
- City of Calgary. Devonian Gardens
- City of Calgary. Civic Art Collection > Devonian Gardens