|Years of service||7 June 1980 – 31 August 2019|
|Unit||14 Sikh Light Infantry|
|Commands held|| Northern Army|
17 Mountain Division
53 Infantry Brigade
|Awards|| Param Vishisht Seva Medal |
Uttam Yudh Seva Medal
Ati Vishisht Seva Medal
Yudh Seva Medal
Lieutenant General Devraj Anbu, PVSM, UYSM, AVSM, YSM, SM, ADC is a retired Indian Army general who served as Vice Chief of Army Staff (VCOAS). He assumed office on 1 June 2018 following the retirement of Lt Gen Sarath Chand, and retired on 31 August 2019.
He also served as General Officer-Commanding-in-Chief (GOC-in-C), Northern Command from 1 December 2016 to 31 May 2018. Before Commanding Northern Command, he had commanded IV Corps in the North East.
Early life and education
Anbu is an alumnus of Sainik School, Amaravathinagar; National Defence Academy, Pune and Defence Services Staff College, Wellington. He also attended the higher command course at Army War College, Mhow and a National Defence College equivalent university at Jakarta, Indonesia.
Anbu was commissioned into 14th Sikh Light Infantry on 7 June 1980. He has vast experience and has served in all types of operational environments ranging including Siachen Glacier; Counter-Insurgency Operations in Kashmir and Manipur; Operation Pawan in Sri Lanka. He has commanded a unit during Operation Parakram; a 53 Infantry brigade on the Line Of Control; 17 Mountain Division in Sikkim; Indian Military Training Team in Bhutan; IV Corps (Tezpur). He has held staff appointments which include General Staff Operation at the Division level in North-East India, General Staff Operation at Corps Level in Kashmir, and Military observer with UN peacekeeping mission in Namibia (UNTAG).
During 37 years of his career he has been awarded the Sena Medal for Operation Meghdoot, Yudh Seva Medal (2010) for command of 53 Infantry brigade, the Ati Vishisht Seva Medal for the command of 17 Mountain division, Uttam Yudh Seva Medal (2016) and the Param Vishisht Seva Medal (2017) for his service as General Officer Commanding-in-Chief, Northern Command. He is also the Colonel Of The Regiment of the Sikh Light Infantry .
Honours and decorations
Dates of rank
|Insignia||Rank||Component||Date of rank|
|Second Lieutenant||Indian Army||7 June 1980|
|Lieutenant||Indian Army||7 June 1982|
|Captain||Indian Army||7 June 1985|
|Major||Indian Army||7 June 1991|
|Lieutenant-Colonel||Indian Army||31 December 2002|
|Colonel||Indian Army||1 February 2005|
|Brigadier||Indian Army||1 August 2008 (seniority from 7 January 2008)|
|Major General||Indian Army||1 January 2013 (seniority from 4 April 2011)|
|Lieutenant-General||Indian Army||12 October 2015 (substantive)|
Mr. Anbu's father late Shri. Devaraj also rendered his services in Army. They hail from a agricultural Thevar family from Madurai, Usilampatti, Vagaikulam village. He is married to Mrs Gowri Anbu and they have a son who is serving in the Indian Army. He likes yoga, painting and gardening.
- "Part I-Section 4: Ministry of Defence (Army Branch)". The Gazette of India. 16 May 1981. p. 673.
- "Lt Gen Devraj Anbu is the new Vice Chief of Army Staff". The Indian Express. 2018-05-24. Retrieved 2018-05-31.
- "Outgoing Army Vice Chief pays tributes at National War Memorial". 2019-08-30.
- Gurung, Shaurya Karanbir. "Naravane appointed as new Vice Chief of Indian Army, four army commanders appointed". The Economic Times. Retrieved 31 August 2019.
- "Lieutenant General Devraj Anbu new chief of Northern Command". The Indian Express. 2016-11-09. Archived from the original on 2016-12-01. Retrieved 2017-01-01.
- "Official Website of Indian Army". indianarmy.nic.in. Retrieved 2017-01-01.
- "Devraj Anbu is Northern Army Commander". The Hindu. Archived from the original on 2016-12-21. Retrieved 2017-01-01.
- Reporter, Staff; Reporter, Staff (2013-09-06). "Sainik School alumnus meets cadets". The Hindu. ISSN 0971-751X. Retrieved 2018-06-01.
- "Lt. General Devraj Anbu to take over as Kashmir army commander". The New Indian Express. Archived from the original on 2016-11-12. Retrieved 2017-01-01.
- "Lt Gen Devraj Anbu Assumes Charge as VCOAS". pib.nic.in. Retrieved 2018-06-01.
- "390 Republic Day Gallantry and Other Defence Decorations Announced".
- "List of Awardees 2017" (PDF). Archived (PDF) from the original on 2017-02-02.
- "Republic Day Gallantry and other Defence Decoration". pib.nic.in. Retrieved 2018-06-01.
- "Part I-Section 4: Ministry of Defence (Army Branch)". The Gazette of India. 11 December 1982. p. 1513.
- "Part I-Section 4: Ministry of Defence (Army Branch)". The Gazette of India. 7 June 1986. p. 924.
- "Part I-Section 4: Ministry of Defence (Army Branch)". The Gazette of India. 25 April 1992. p. 813.
- "Part I-Section 4: Ministry of Defence (Army Branch)". The Gazette of India. 31 July 2004. p. 1053.
- "Part I-Section 4: Ministry of Defence (Army Branch)". The Gazette of India. 25 March 2006. p. 410.
- "Part I-Section 4: Ministry of Defence (Army Branch)". The Gazette of India. 10 April 2010. p. 604.
- "Part I-Section 4: Ministry of Defence (Army Branch)". The Gazette of India. 22 March 2014. p. 428.
- "Part I-Section 4: Ministry of Defence (Army Branch)". The Gazette of India. 20 February 2016. p. 478.
| Vice Chief of Army Staff
1 June 2018 - 31 August 2019
Manoj Mukund Naravane
D S Hooda
| General Officer-Commanding-in-Chief Northern Command
1 December 2016 - 31 May 2018
| General Officer Commanding IV Corps
17 November 2015 - 24 December 2016
Amarjeet Singh Bedi