Dewan Bahasa dan Pustaka Library
The Dewan Bahasa dan Pustaka Library (Malay: Perpustakaan Dewan Bahasa dan Pustaka) is a group of public libraries operated by Dewan Bahasa dan Pustaka Brunei. It is also the legal deposit and copyright for Brunei.
The first Dewan Bahasa dan Pustaka Library was established in 1963 and it was temporarily housed in the then Department of Education. A new building was then constructed on Jalan Elizabeth II in Bandar Seri Begawan, which would become the headquarters for Dewan Bahasa dan Pustaka Brunei. The building began to be used in 1967 on 29 September the following year it was officially opened by His Royal Highness Pengiran Muda Haji Mohammed Alam.
From the time of the establishment, the library materials were only available for reference. However, from 1 September 1971, the library was made a public library and lending services are now offered to the public.
From 1992 to 1994, the administration section of Dewan Bahasa dan Pustaka Brunei gradually moved to the new building in the Old Airport area, and has since become the current headquarters location. Meanwhile, from 1994 the building at Jalan Elizabath II has been made solely as a public library.
Throughout the decades following the time of its establishment, a number of public libraries were also created outside of the capital as well as in other districts. The first public library services in the all three other districts (Belait, Tutong and Temburong) were established in 1975. The latest public library was opened in Lambak Kanan in 2008.
- Bandar Seri Begawan Library – It is the main branch, and acts as the national library for Brunei.
- Sengkurong Library
- Lambak Kanan Library
- Muara Library
- Tutong District Library
- Kuala Belait Library
- Kampong Pandan Library
- Seria Library
- Temburong District Library
Apart from the usual library services in the public libraries, which include provision of reading materials and other media, lending and references, the Dewan Bahasa dan Pustaka Library also provides Perkhidmatan Perpustakaan Bergerak or the Mobile Library Services. These are essentially mini libraries on buses and on certain days of the year they travel to various schools nationwide to provide additional library services to the respective schools. The Library also helps to establish Reading Corners in longhouses in the interior part of the country.
- "Sejarah | Perpustakaan Dewan Bahasa dan Pustaka Brunei". www.librarybrunei.gov.bn (in Malay). Retrieved 2017-12-03.
- "Imbasan". www.dbplibrary.gov.bn. Retrieved 2017-12-03.
- "Perpustakaan Bandar Seri Begawan". Perpustakaan Dewan Bahasa dan Pustaka Negara Brunei Darussalam. Retrieved 23 March 2012. External link in
- "Dewan Bahasa dan Pustaka Brunei Darussalam". www.gerbangbahasa.gov.bn. Retrieved 2017-12-03.
- "Mengenai Perpustakaan". www.librarybrunei.gov.bn (in Malay). Retrieved 2017-12-03.
- "Perpustakaan DBP Seluruh Negara". www.dbplibrary.gov.bn. Retrieved 2017-12-03.
- "Perkhidmatan Perpustakaan Dewan Bahasa dan Pustaka". www.librarybrunei.gov.bn (in Malay). Retrieved 2017-12-03.