Dewi Lewis (born in Wales, 10 March 1951) is a publisher and curator of photography.
Lewis is an Honorary Fellow of the Royal Photographic Society and was awarded the Society’s inaugural RPS Award for Outstanding Service to Photography in 2009. In 2012, the Kraszna-Krausz Foundation presented him with an award for Outstanding Contribution to Photography Publishing.
Lewis has acted as a jury member for several major competitions and as a portfolio reviewer at international photography events including Fotofest and Review Santa Fe (both USA), Lodz Festival (Poland) and PHotoEspaña (Spain). He was a ‘Master’ for the 2009, 2010 and 2011 World Press Photo Joop Swart Masterclasses. Along with his own book, Publishing Photography (1992), he writes occasional texts on photography and has curated exhibitions including a survey show of the British magazine Picture Post for the 2010 Atri Festival.
Dewi Lewis Publishing
Photographers whose books have been published by Dewi Lewis Publishing include Martin Parr, Simon Norfolk, William Klein, Sirkka-Liisa Konttinen, Sergio Larrain, Bruce Gilden and Simon Roberts. Lewis works in close collaboration with a number of European publishers and is a founding member of the European Publishers Award for Photography, established in 1994.
Book by Lewis
- Publishing Photography. Manchester: Cornerhouse, 1992. ISBN 9780948797811.
- "Dewi Lewis - The man who switched focus onto photographers - and founded a cultural gem". Manchester Evening News. 17 April 2012. Retrieved 30 April 2012.
- "Outstanding Service". The Royal Photographic Society. Retrieved 20 September 2015.
- "Kraszna-Krausz Book Awards". 125 World - News. 125 World Ltd. Retrieved 30 April 2012.
- O'Hagan, Sean (27 April 2012). "Mitch Dobrowner wins L'Iris d'Or photographer of the year award". The Guardian. Retrieved 30 April 2012.
- "Dewi Lewis". World Press Photo. World Press Photo. Retrieved 30 April 2012.
- "Dewi Lewis". The Shapes of Time. Reportage Atri festival. Retrieved 30 April 2012.
- "Illegal Immigration in Arizona is Focus of New Photo Book from Dewi Lewis Publishing". The Times Union (Albany, New York). 23 April 2012. Retrieved 30 April 2012.
- The Last Resort: Photographs of New Brighton, 2nd ed (1998, ISBN 1899235167); Common Sense (1999, ISBN 1899235078).
- For Most of It I Have No Words (1998, ISBN 1899235663).
- Life is Good and Good for You in New York! Trance Witness Revels, new ed. (1995, ISBN 1899235256).
- Writing in the Sand: On the Beaches of North East England (2000, ISBN 1899235973).
- London 1958–59 (1998, ISBN 189923571X).
- Haiti (1996, ISBN 1899235558); After the Off (1999, ISBN 9781899235179).
- "Dewi Lewis". Foto Triennale DK. Retrieved 8 May 2014.
- "PhotoEspaña Discovery Award". British Journal of Photography. Apptitude Media. 161 (7826): 7. 2014.