|Length:||287.1 km (178.4 mi)|
|Dhaka end:||Saidabad Connecting with Jatrabari Flyover|
|To:||Teknaf , Cox's Bazar|
The N1 or Dhaka–Chittagong Highway is a main transportation artery in Bangladesh, between Dhaka and Chittagong. Approximately 250 kilometres (200 miles) in length, the road links the country's two largest cities, Dhaka and Chittagong. The highway is known along various stretches as the Chittagong–Cox's Bazar Highway and the Cox's Bazar–Teknaf Highway. Currently two lanes with a four-lane expansion underway, the N1 is the busiest road in the country and a top development priority. Construction of a larger Dhaka-Chittagong expressway has been proposed to decrease traffic on the highway.
When constructed, the highway was limited to two lanes of traffic for most of its length. Traffic jams or tailbacks of 25 kilometres (16 miles) have been reported. In 2009, it was estimated that daily usage of the highway was 20,000–25,000 motorized vehicles, up 40% of which were trucks.
The Roads and Highways Department (RHD) of the Ministry of Communication is expanding the Dhaka–Chittagong stretch to four lanes. The target to finish the project by December 2013, however implementation remains slow. The highway forms a critical component of the proposed Asian Highway and the Central-South-East Asian economic corridor, including initiatives such as BCIM.
As of March 2013, only 23.5 per cent of work has been completed, and it was unlikely to meet its December 2013 deadline. Construction included 221 culverts, 22 bridges and three flyovers. Reza Construction Ltd. and Sino Hydro have set temporary camps for this purpose respectively near Daudkandi and Chandina.
As of February 2015, the expected completion of the project was postponed until June 2015.
In Dhaka District
In Narayanganj District
This highway runs on three Upazilas of Narayangaj district. Upazilas are Narayanganj Sadar Upazila, Bandar Upazila and Sonargaon Upazila. From Signboard to Meghna Bridge, total length of N1 highway runs on this district is 29 km.
In Munshiganj District
In Comilla District
In Feni District
In Chittagong District
N1 exceeds seven upazilas on Chittagong district including Chittagong city. Upazilas are Mirsharai Upazila, Sitakunda Upazila, Boalkhali Upazila, Patiya Upazila, Chandanaish Upazila, Satkania Upazila and Lohagara Upazila. Length of N1 in Chittagong District is 148.06 km.
In Cox’s bazar District
- "Road Master Plan" (PDF). Bangladesh Roads and Highways Department. Retrieved 12 December 2012.
- "Proposed Technical Assistance Loan People's Republic of Bangladesh:Dhaka–Chittagong Expressway Public–Private Partnership Design Project" (PDF). 2011. Retrieved 12 April 2015.
- Daily Industry (2015-02-16). "Dhaka-Ctg 4-lane to be completed by June". Daily Industry. Retrieved 2015-10-16.
- "RHD misses target of bitumen work". The Financial Express. 11 February 2013. Retrieved 8 March 2013.
- Daily Star (2015-07-15). "Long tailback on Dhaka-Ctg highway". Daily Star Online. Retrieved 2015-10-16.
- "4-lane Dhaka-Chittagong Highway to miss deadline". New Age. 13 January 2013. Retrieved 8 March 2013.
- Roads and Highway Dept. Bangladesh