High Court Division
|High Court Division of the Supreme Court of Bangladesh|
|বাংলাদেশ সর্বোচ্চ আদালত এর উচ্চ আদালত বিভাগ|
Supreme Court of Bangladesh Logo
|Location||Ramna, Dhaka 1000, Bangladesh|
|Authorized by||Constitution of Bangladesh|
|Chief Justice of Bangladesh|
|Currently||Syed Mahmud Hossain|
|Since||3 February 2018|
|This article is part of a series on the|
politics and government of
The High Court Division (Bengali: উচ্চ আদালত বিভাগ — Uchcha ādālata bibhāga) also known as High Court is the lower division of the Supreme Court of Bangladesh, the upper being the Appellate Division. It consists of the Chief Justice of Bangladesh and the Judges of the High Court Division.
Dhaka High Court (1947 - 1955)
The High Court of judicature for East Bengal commonly known as the Dhaka High Court was established in 1947 under Pakistan (Provisional Constitutional) Order 1947 as a separate High Court with all Appellate, Civil and Original jurisdictions.
East Pakistan High Court (1955 - 1971)
In 1955 the Dhaka High Court became the High Court of East Pakistan and the Supreme Court of Pakistan was established as the apex Court with the appellate jurisdiction to hear the decisions of the High Courts established in the East and West Pakistan.
Until 1967 the High Court was held in the building that now known as the Old High Court Building on Kazi Nazrul Islam Avenue, opposite the curzon hall, Dhaka. With the construction of a larger facility in the 1960s nearby that now houses the Supreme Court of Bangladesh and Attorney General's office, the High Court was shifted from Old House in 10 July 1967.
Chief Justices (1947 - 1971)
- Justice Abu Saleh Muhammad Akram (1947 - 1950)
- Justice Muhammad Shahabuddin (1950-1953)
- Justice Amiruddin Ahmad (1954-1956)
- Justice Amin Ahmed (1956 - 1959)
- Justice M. A. Ispahani (1959-1962)
- Justice Imam Hossain Choudhury (1962-1964)
- Justice Syed Mahbub Murshed (1964-1967)
- Justice Badruddin Ahmed Siddiky (1967-1971)
Division of the Supreme Court (1971 - present)
In 1971 East Pakistan became independent Republic of Bangladesh. On 9 January 1972 Bangladesh enacted the Supreme Court of Judicature Act to regularize the judicial system. The Act declared that the Supreme Court of Bangladesh consisted of the Appellate Division and the High Court Division. The High Court Division replaced the Dhaka High Court and Supreme Court of Pakistan was preceded by the Appellate Division.
The High Court Division can hear a case or suit as Court of first instance.
Any law may confer on HCD APPELLATE JURISDICTION on any matter . For example CrPC and CPC have conferred on the HCD appellate jurisdiction.
Superintendence and Control over Subordinaten Courts
Transfer of cases from subordinate Courts
Sitting Permanent Judges of the High Court Division
- Justice Tariq ul Hakim
- Madame Justice Salma Masud Chowdhury
- Justice Dr. Md. Abu Tariq
- Justice Muhammad Abdul Hafiz
- Justice Dr. Syed Refaat Ahmed
- Justice Miftah Uddin Choudhury
- Justice A. K. M. Asaduzzaman
- Justice Md. Ashfaqul Islam
- Justice Zubayer Rahman Chowdhury
- Justice Moyeenul Islam Chowdhury
- Justice Md. Emdadul Huq
- Justice Md. Rais Uddin
- Justice Md. Emdadul Haque Azad
- Justice Md. Ataur Rahman Khan
- Justice Syed Md. Ziaul Karim
- Justice Md. Rezaul Haque
- Justice Sheikh Abdul Awal
- Justice S. M. Emdadul Hoque
- Justice Mamnoon Rahman
- Madame Justice Farah Mahbub
- Justice A. K. M. Abdul Hakim
- Justice Borhanuddin
- Justice Soumendra Sarker
- Justice Md. Moinul Islam Chowdhury
- Justice Obaidul Hassan
- Justice M Enayetur Rahim
- Madame Justice Dr. Naima Haydar
- Justice Md. Rezaul Hasan
- Justice Md. Faruque
- Justice Md. Shawkat Hossain
- Justice F. R. M. Nazmula Ahasan
- Madame Justice Krishna Debnath
- Justice A. N. M. Bashir Ullah
- Justice Abdur Rob
- Justice Dr. Quazi Reza-Ul Hoque
- Justice Md. Abu Zafor Siddique
- Justice A. K. M. Zahirul Hoque
- Justice Jahangir Hossain
- Justice Sheikh Md. Zakir Hossain
- Justice Md. Habibul Gani
- Justice Gobinda Chandra Tagore
- Justice Sheikh Hassan Arif
- Justice J. B. M. Hassan
- Justice Md. Ruhul Quddus
- Justice Md. Khasruzzaman
- Justice Farid Ahmed
- Justice Md. Nazrul Islam Talukder
- Justice Bhabani Prasad Singha
- Justice M Akram Hossain Chowdhury
- Justice M Ashraful Kamal
- Justice K. M. Kamrul Kader
- Justice Mohammad Mujibur Rahman Miah
- Justice Mostofa Zaman Islam
- Justice Mohammadullah
- Justice Mohammad Khurshid Alam Sarker
- Justice A K M Shahidul Haque
- Justice Shahidul Karim
- Justice Mohammad Jahangir Hossain
- Justice Abu Taher Mohammad Saifur Rahman
- Justice Ashish Ranjan Daash
- Justice Mahmudul Haque
- Justice Badruzzaman Badol
- Justice Zafar Ahmed
- Justice Kazi Md. Ejarul Haque Akondo
- Justice Mohammad Shahinur Islam
- Madame Justice Kashefa Hussain
- Justice Syed Mohammad Mozibur Rahman
- Justice Amir Hossain 
- Justice Khizir Ahmed Choudhury
- Justice Razik Al-Jalil
- Justice Bhishmadev Chakrabortty
- Justice Md. Iqbal Kabir
- Justice Md. Salim
- Justice Md. Sohrowardi
Sitting Additional Judges of the High Court Division
- Justice Md. Abu Ahmed Jamadar 
- Justice A.S.M Abdul Mobin
- Justice Md Mostafizur Rahman
- Madam Justice Fatema Najib
- Justice Md. Kamrul Hossain Molla
- Justice SM Kuddus Zaman
- Justice Md. Atowar Rahman
- Justice Khizir Hayat
- Justice Shashanka Shekhar Sarkar
- Justice Mohammad Ali
- Justice Mohi Uddin Shamim
- Justice Md. Riaz Uddin Khan
- Justice M Khairul Alam
- Justice S.M Moniruzzaman
- Justice Ahmed Sohel
- Justice Sardar Mohammad Rashed Jahangir
- Justice Khondaker Diliruzzaman
- Justice KM Hafizul Alam
- "High Court". Banglapedia. Retrieved 8 July 2015.
- Government of India Act 1935 as adapted by the Pakistan (Provisional Constitution) Order 1947, S. 219
- High Court of West Pakistan (Establishment) Order, 1955 (G.G.O. XIX of 1955), Art. 3
- "Appointment of 15 judges regularised". The Daily Star. 12 April 2012. Retrieved 12 November 2016.
- "4 HC judges to be sworn in today". The Daily Star. 15 October 2012. Retrieved 12 November 2016.
- "Jobs of 4 HC judges regularised". The Daily Star. 10 December 2012. Retrieved 12 November 2016.
- "4 new Justices sworn in". BanglaNews24.com. Archived from the original on 17 January 2013. Retrieved 12 November 2016.
- "News in Brief". The Daily Star. 8 October 2013. Retrieved 12 November 2016.
- "5 addl HC judges sworn in". The Daily Star. 12 June 2014. Retrieved 12 November 2016.
- "Justice Manik tasked with criminal cases". The Daily Star. 15 June 2012. Retrieved 12 November 2016.
- "Newly appointed HC judges take oath". The Daily Star. 6 August 2013. Retrieved 12 November 2016.
- "10 HC judges sworn in". The Daily Star. 13 February 2015. Retrieved 12 November 2016.