This article needs additional citations for verification. (March 2018) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|Neighbourhood in Kolkata (Calcutta)|
|Kolkata Suburban Railway||Dhakuria|
|Municipal Corporation||Kolkata Municipal Corporation|
|KMC wards||91, 92, 105|
|Time zone||IST (UTC+5:30)|
|Area code(s)||+91 33|
|Lok Sabha constituency||Kolkata Dakshin|
|Vidhan Sabha constituency||Kasba|
It is located in the southern part of the city and is surrounded by Ballygunge and Kasba in the north, Haltu in the east, Jadavpur/Garia in the south and the Lake Gardens and Jodhpur Park areas in the west. It has a Postal Index Number (PIN) code of 700 031.
The locality is sometimes referred to as the middle class and currently growing very well off upper-middle-class people's locality in South Kolkata. Though it is surrounded by its rich and famous areas, over the years it still remains primarily a nice upper-middle-class neighbourhood. Apart from its critical location in South Kolkata/Calcutta, it is also a place inhabited by prominent people with strong social, artistic and cultural background. The place has got homes of many celebrities and up coming artists, social workers, thinkers, entrepreneurs and visionaries who reside in Kolkata and some outside India.
The two most important landmarks that signify this locality are the Dhakuria railway station, its bus terminal and the Gariahat Road (South).
The word Dhakuria is from the word 'Dhaakur' (in Bengali: 'ঢাকুর') which means lakes, ponds. Previously, this area had many lakes.
Others say, Dhakuria is also name of a place in East Pakistan (now: Bangladesh). Peoples of East Pakistan who were migrated here and lived here. In memory of their old living place they were called the same name for this place.
The history of Dhakuria stretches back at least two hundred years to early 1800s. Even after large scale modernization in the last decade involving demolition of older homes and buildings, there are several buildings that still exist today that predate 1900.
The rapid population growth of Dhakuria, similar to rest of the City of Kolkata, can be traced back to the late fifties & sixties, when a large influx of Hindu Refugees had started from Bangladesh. At that time the southern city limits were up to Ballygunge Lake areas (now known as Golpark).
The areas beyond the Eastern railway tracks at Golpark started developing with large numbers of people building up their homes there. The area was very different from the neighbouring Ballygunge. While Ballygunge dotted the homes of the rich, wide tree lined roads (at Golpark, Southern Avenue), Dhakuria was marked with comparatively narrow lanes and bylanes. The nomenclature of most of the sub localities of this area bear the mark of age old family dominances viz. Roypara, Bannerjeepara, Daspara, Ghoshpara, Mukherjeepara, Biswaspara, Naskarpara etc. The Pakrashi's from Pabna' Bangladesh, were amongst the first few families who came and started residing here in the most famous locality called Babu Bagan. The Dhakuria Kalibari was founded by the Pakrashi family only.
By early sixties, neighboring Jodhpur Park, which was earlier a sparsely populated area, had become a favorite destination for several upscale single family residential home development projects. With the introduction of Dakshinapan, a multi-stage shopping mall and one of the first of its kind in Kolkata, in Jodhpur Park but just next to Dhakuria boundary in early 80s, the area started getting an upmarket look. Since then, Dhakuria's population is swelling with well educated, middle-class people because of its good neighbourhood and schools, low crime rate and proximity to other city amenities. The area is spread over 3 wards of Kolkata Municipal Corporation, namely Ward No. 91 ( Councillor- Sri Dipankar Dey), Ward No. 92 (Councillor- Smt. Madhuchanda Deb)and Ward No. 105 (Councillor- Sri Tarun Mondal). Dhakuria is currently under Kasba Assembly Territory ( MLA- Janab Javed Ahmed Khan)and under South Kolkata Parliamentary Constituency (MP- Sri Subrata Bakshi). With time Dhakuria has become one of the prominent locations of South Kolkata.
- The Modern Academy (ICSE/ISC)
- Dhakuria Ram Chandra High School
- Binodini Girls High School
- Dhakuria Sree Ramkrishna High School
- Sree Ram Roy Institution
- Lake Point Convent School
- Pareshnath Balika Bidyalaya
- Pravabati Sishu Shikshayatan
- Andrews High School
- Sri Aurobindo Seva Kendra School Of Nursing
- Bengal Music College
Places of interest
- Dhakuria Post Office (700031)
- Dhakuria Bridge (Renamed as Sri Chaitanya Mahaprabhu Bridge in 2013)
- Dakshinapan shopping center
- Rabindra Sarobar (Dhakuria Lake)
- Babubagan and CIT Scheme (famous for Sharbojanin Durga Puja)
- Japanese Buddhist Temple
- Miniature of Howrah Bridge at Dhakuria Lake (known as Hanging Bridge), Swimming Pool & Rowing Clubs
- Lake Kali Bari.
- Birla academy, 60 ft Idol of lord Krishna at Birla Academy
- Rabindra Sarobar Stadium
- Indian Oil Bhawan (State Head Office of Indian Oil Corporation)
- Office of Income Tax (South Kolkata Region)
- Madhusudan Mancha (A theatre for Arts and Cultural performances)
- Dhakuria Kalibari (Temple)
- Tanupukur Sishu Udyan (Children Park)
- Ganguly Pukur (Public Pool)
- Dhakuria Public Library (A century old library, founded in 1904)
- CLT (Children Little Theater, Estd- 1951).
Famous people from Dhakuria
- Pakrashi family, Sushil Kumar Pakrashi, founder of Dhakuria Kalibari
- Pritish Chakraborty eminent Bollywood Actor, Producer, Director, Singer, Writer
- Sunirmal Basu,juvenile writer
- Gajendra Kumar Mitra, eminent writer
- Abhik Basu, Poet
- Suchitra Bhattacharya, eminent writer.
- Abhijit Bandopadhaya, eminent music director.
- Agnibha Bandopadhaya, eminent singer.
- Sreejat, Bengali lyricist and poet.
- Nrisingha Prasad Bhaduri, famous writer.
- Footballer Nemai Goswami and Santo Mitra.
- Cricketer Barun Baurman,medium pace bowler.
Harikumar Pillai.Sound Designer and Mixer for Bollywood and International films and TV
- AMRI Hospital (partly)
- Dhakuria Sri Ramakrishna Hospital
- Riddhi Seva Kendra
- Narendra Seva Trust
- Biomed Healthcare Speciality Pvt.Ltd
- Nidan Clinical Lab
- Dhakuria Sarada Health Education
- RG Stone Urology & Laproscopy Hospital
- Santi Medical
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Dhakuria.|
Kolkata/South travel guide from Wikivoyage