Jackfruit from Dharmadam
|• Total||10.68 km2 (4.12 sq mi)|
|• Density||2,731/km2 (7,070/sq mi)|
|• Official||Malayalam, English|
|Time zone||IST (UTC+5:30)|
|Telephone code||91 (0)490|
|ISO 3166 code||IN-KL|
|Vehicle registration||KL 58-|
|Sex ratio||1000:1120 ♂/♀|
|Lok Sabha constituency||Kannur|
|Vidhan Sabha constituency||Dharmadam|
Dharmadom or Dharmadam (Malayalam: ധർമ്മടം) is a census town in Thalassery taluk of Kannur district in the state of Kerala, India. It is known for the 100-year-old Government Brennen College and Dharmadam Island. Dharmadam is also home to famous Andaloor Kavu. The annual festival here draws thousands of devotees. A variety of theyyams are performed during the week-long fest in February. During the festive season the entire village follows vegetarian diet and offers rice flakes, jaggery and plantains to all guests. India's premier circus Academy, Circus Academy Thalassery is also located at Dharmadam. There is a small railway station in Dharmadam where only the local passenger trains stop.
Dharmadam was earlier known as Dharmapattanam and was previously a Buddhist stronghold.
The Dharmadam Island is located 100 metres away from the mainland at Dharmadam. Geographically, Dharmadam is an island, en route Thalassery and Kannur. It is surrounded by the Anjarakandy river on three sides and by the Arabian sea on the fourth side. The Jews and the Arabs have named this place Dahfattan in their records in the 12th century, the British named it Darmapatam and the Portuguese called it Darmapatao.
As of 2001[update] India census, Dharmadam had a population of 29,169. Males constitute 47% of the population and females 53%. Dharmadam has an average literacy rate of 87%, higher than the national average of 59.5%: male literacy is 88% and, female literacy is 86%. In Dharmadam, 9% of the population is under 6 years of age.
- Govt. Brennen College, Dharmadam
- Kannur University Thalassery Campus, Palayad
- District Institute of Education Training, Palayad
- Govt. Higher Secondary School, Palayad
- Jeycee Special School, Dharmadam
- Rotary Special School, Dharmadam
- Pinarayi Vijayan- Chief Minister of Kerala 2016 to present
- M.N. Vijayan - Critic, writer and orator
- N. Prabhakaran - Writer
- Valsalan Vathussery - Writer
- M.P. Kumarn - Historian,translator.
- Road :Kanyakumari-Mumbai NH 66 (previously NH 17) passes through Dharmadam.Dharmadam is 3.5 km away from the nearest city Thalassery. Frequent bus services from Thalassery to Andaloor, Meloor, Parapram and Kannur criss cross Dharmadam. Fast Passenger and Town to Town buses stop at Meethalepeetika in Dharmadam.
- Railway: Dharmadam has a railway station where local passenger trains stop. Nearest major station is in Thalassery 3.5 km from Dharmadam. Kannur railway station is 18 km away.
- Nearest airport - Calicut International Airport - 90 km. The proposed Kannur International Airport is 25 km from Dharmadam.
- Muzhappilangad beach
- Dharmadam Island
- Sree Andalurkavu
- Educational Institutes in Thalassery
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Dharmadom.|
- "Census of India 2001: Data from the 2001 Census, including cities, villages and towns (Provisional)". Census Commission of India. Archived from the original on 2004-06-16. Retrieved 2008-11-01.