Dhiffushi (Kaafu Atoll)
inhabited local island
|Administrative atoll||Kaafu Atoll|
|Distance to Malé||36.99 km (22.98 mi)|
|• Length||0.950 km (0.590 mi)|
|• Width||0.200 km (0.124 mi)|
|• Total||1,053 (including foreigners)|
|Time zone||UTC+05:00 (MST)|
The island is 36.99 km (23 mi; 20 nmi) northeast of the country's capital, Malé. Dhiffushi is 0.95 km (0.59 mi) in length and just 0.2 km (0.12 mi) wide, with a total land area of 22.3 ha (55 acres). It is located next to Meerufenfusi.
|2006-2014: Census populations|
In accordance with the recently passed Decentralization Act of Maldives, Dhiffushi is governed by an elected Island Council composed of three Councillors. The Council is headed by the President of the Council. The Island Council reports to the Local Government Authority (LGA). As democracy and decentralization are at the infant stage in the Maldives, the councilors, and the government may find it difficult to deal with important issues like land, and resource utilization.
Dhiffushi is the leading island in the Local Guesthouse industry the Maldives. The island is famous for its hospitality and friendliness of the people while there are a variety of guesthouses run by locals along with a few guest shops opened up for business.
The island has a pre school, public school, hospital, two mosques, Magistrate court, gas station, football turf and sewage plant .
As of the beginning of 2012 Dhiffushi council has started to build an industrial area next to the harbor in order to claim additional land, the land has been used for commercial industrial use.
- Everyday except Friday
- Takes 2 hrs 10 mins
- Tickets per person MVR 22
- Leaves from Male' at Villingili Ferry Terminal at 2:30pm. The ferry dhoni arrives at the island at 4:40 pm
- Leaves from Dhiffushi to Male' at 6:30 am. The ferry dhoni arrives at Male' at 08:40 am
A speedboat ride of 40 mins.
From Saturday to Thursday, this ferry leaves from Male' to Dhiffushi at 4:30 pm in front of the Bank of Ceylon. The return journey from Dhiffushi to Male' leaves at 7:30 am. On Fridays, the journey from Male to Dhiffushi is at 8:30 am and 7:00 pm. The return journey from Dhiffushi to Male' is at 5:00 pm.
Guest Houses in Dhiffushi
There are 18 Guest Houses in Dhiffushi Island.
1. Crown Beach Hotel
2. Crown Beach Villas
3. Rashu Hiyaa
4. The Captains Residence
5. Dhiffushi White Sand Beach
6. Ameera Guest House
7. Captain's Sunset Lodge
8. Crystal Dhiffushi
9. The Home Maldives
10. Veli Vilaa
11. Araamu Holidays and Spa
12. Ranauraa Inn
13. Ohana Maldives
14. Dhiffushi Inn
15. Sea Side Villa
16. Club Kaafu
17. Infinity Dhiffushi
18. Portia and Spa
19. Ithaa Hiyaa
- Ahmed Rizuvan -football player
- "Table PP5: Resident Population by sex, nationality and locality (administrative islands), 2014" (PDF). Population and Households Census 2014. National Bureau of Statistics. p. 34. Retrieved 12 August 2018.
- "Coordinate Distance Calculator". Boulter.com. Retrieved 12 August 2018.
- "Table 3.3: Total Maldivian Population by Islands" (PDF). National Bureau of Statistics. Retrieved 12 August 2018.