Dhirubhai Ambani International School
|Dhirubhai Ambani International School|
BKC, Bandra East, Mumbai, Maharashtra 400098
|Motto||"Dare to Dream, Learn to Excel"|
|Patron saint(s)||Dhirubhai Ambani|
The Dhirubhai Ambani International School (DAIS) is a private co-educational LKG-15 dayschool in Mumbai, Maharashtra, India, built by Reliance Industries, named after the late patriarch of the conglomerate, Dhirubhai Ambani. The school was established in 2003 and has been an IB World School since January 2003. It offers the International Baccalaureate Program in its Diploma form. Nita Ambani, wife of Mukesh Ambani is the chairperson of the school.
System of education
Primary School (CIPP): LKG to Class 4
The Primary School programme comprises Lower and Upper Kindergarten (LKG and UKG) years and classes I to IV. In classes LKG to IV, the school follows an integrated curriculum by drawing on teaching programmes of the Council for the Indian School Certificate Examinations and international examination boards. The school is a member of the Cambridge International Primary Programme.
Middle School (CLSP): Class 5 to Class 7
The Middle School Programme i.e. classes 5 to 7. The Cambridge Lower Secondary Programme is followed by the school.
Post Secondary School
The school building is seven storied with lawns, landscaped gardens and playgrounds. The school premises house 130,000 square feet (12,000 m2) of teaching space containing classrooms and laboratories.
Every classroom has a public address system, display and writing boards, lockers for students, broadband Internet access and air conditioning. There is schoolwide Wi-Fi internet access for the students of grades 8-10 affiliated with the IGCSE board and its 11th and 12th graders. There are laboratories for Physics, Chemistry and Biology and teaching rooms for Art, Music, Social Science, Languages, Computer Studies, and Mathematics.
The school has a Learning Centre with access to periodicals and audio-visual resources, the internet and photocopying/printing facilities. It shares a playground with the American School of Bombay with an astroturf, tennis and basketball courts for outdoor sports. The Dhirubhai Ambani International School Study and Activity Centre situated in Matheran, 100 km from Mumbai, opened in 2008. It is used for cross-curricular, recreational activities as well as for weekend training camps and Physical Education activities.
The school has four houses: Panthers (Blue), Tigers (Green), Jaguars (Red) and Lions (Yellow). Each house has two house captains, one sports captain, one house coordinator, two vice house captains, one vice sports captain, and two cub captains. Recently, the post of a middle school coordinator has also been added.
The council Core positions are Head Boy, Head Girl, two Student Council Coordinators, two Sports Coordinators, one Round Square Student Committee Chair and two Vice Student Council Coordinators and one Vice Sports Coordinator. The council is non-democratic (members are selected by the teachers and outgoing captains). The council is usually changed in October each year.
The school hosts an annual Model United Nations (MUN) conference called The Dhirubhai Ambani International Model United Nations (DAIMUN) in October. The conference is one of two conferences in India to be affiliated with The Hague International Model United Nations (THIMUN) Foundation.
Activities and achievements
- The Dhirubhai Ambani International Model United Nations (DAIMUN) is hosted by the school.
- The Paigaam Peace Conference works towards building harmonious cross border relationships.
- Global Membership of Round Square (2008)
- Member of the Council of International Schools (CIS) (2008)
- Best ICSE school in India
- Students work with Indian NGOs such as IDF, Advitya, Akanksha, CCDT, Muktangan, Pratham, Eve, Dr. Bhau Daji Lad Museum, Village Project, Maharashtra Nature Park, Goonj and Ishara. The Dhirubhai Ambani International School Akanksha Centre has been set up as part of this programme.
- "DAISight" is a student-initiated organization in affiliation with Lotus Eye College and the Mumbai Eye Care Campaign. DAISight towards improving and spreading awareness of eyecare around Mumbai.
- "Across the Road" is a service project supporting children in slum areas adjacent to the school in educational and developmental needs.
- The "Village Project", born in 2009, and called Empowering Rural India, is a school project where villages are adopted with the objective of eradicating poverty and unemployment through a three-pronged strategy – Education, Infrastructure and Empowerment. This helps the school achieve the UN Millennium Development Objectives as well as the IB Mission goals: "Think Globally and Act Locally." The school tries to improve means of income generation, empower women and allowing them to contribute to the household income, and implement the infrastructure for health care, education, and communication. The two villages are Hassachipatti and Kumbharghar.
- "1. Dhirubhai Ambani International School - Hindustan Times". Hindustan Times.
- "The Primary & Middle School Programme". Da-is.org. Retrieved 31 December 2010.[permanent dead link]
- "Dhirubhai Ambani International School". Da-is.org. Retrieved 31 December 2010.
- "Secondary School". Da-is.org. Retrieved 31 December 2010.
- "Post Secondary School". Da-is.org. Retrieved 31 December 2010.
- "DAIS GC2016 - Smt. Nita Ambani Speech", YouTube, 1 June 2016, retrieved 3 June 2016
- "Campus Building". Da-is.org. Retrieved 31 December 2010.
- "Campus Facilities". Da-is.org. Retrieved 31 December 2010.
- "Dhirubhai Ambani International Model United Nations - DAIMUN". www.daimun.org. Retrieved 12 April 2019.
- "Daimun". www.daimun.org. Retrieved 12 April 2019.
- "Affiliated Conferences – THIMUN Foundation". Retrieved 12 April 2019.
- "Round Square". Round Square.
- "DAIS Glance". Da-is.org. Retrieved 31 December 2010.
- CIS School Members Directory - Online
- "Dhirubhai Ambani International School All India Rank and WAS Score". Retrieved 8 July 2016.