Dhirubhai Ambani International School
|This article relies too much on references to primary sources. (May 2011) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
|Dhirubhai Ambani International School|
|Bandra-Kurla Complex, Bandra (East), Mumbai-400098, India|
|Motto||"Dare to Dream, Learn to Excel"|
|Patron saint(s)||Dhirubhai Ambani|
The Dhirubhai Ambani International School (DAIS) is a private co-educational LKG-12 day school in Mumbai, Maharashtra, India, built by Reliance Industries, named after the late patriarch of the conglomerate, Dhirubhai Ambani. The school was established in 2003 and has been an IB World School since January 2003. It offers the International Baccalaureate Program in its Diploma form. Nita Ambani, wife of Mukesh Ambani is the chairperson of the school.
The school prepares students for the Indian Certificate of Secondary Education, the IGCSE and the IB Diploma examinations.
System of education
Primary School (CIPP): LKG to Class 4
The Primary School programme comprises Lower and Upper Kindergarten (LKG and UKG) years and classes I to IV. In classes LKG to IV, the school follows an integrated curriculum by drawing on teaching programmes of the Council for the Indian School Certificate Examinations and international examination boards. The school is a member of the Cambridge International Primary Programme.
Middle School (CLSP): Class 5 to Class 7
The Middle School Programme i.e. classes 5 to 7. The Cambridge Lower Secondary Programme is followed by the school.
Post Secondary School
The school building is seven storied with lawns, landscaped gardens and playgrounds. The school premises house 130,000 square feet (12,000 m2) of teaching space containing classrooms and laboratories.
Every classroom has a public address system, display and writing boards, lockers for students, broadband Internet access and air conditioning. There is schoolwide Wi-Fi internet access for the school's 11th and 12th graders. There are laboratories for Physics, Chemistry and Biology and teaching rooms for Art, Music, Social Science, Languages, Computer Studies, and Mathematics.
The school has a Learning Centre with access to periodicals and audio-visual resources, the internet and photocopying/printing facilities. It shares a playground with the American School of Bombay with an astro turf, tennis and basketball courts for outdoor sports. The Dhirubhai Ambani International School Study and Activity Centre situated in Matheran, 100 km from Mumbai, opened in 2008. It is used for cross-curricular, recreational activities as well as for weekend training camps and Physical Education activities.
The school has four houses: Tigers ( green) , Panthers(blue), Jaguars(red) and Lions(yellow ) . Each house has two house captains, one sports captain, one house co-ordinator, two vice house captains, one vice sports captain, and a cub captain. Recently, the post of a middle school co-ordinator has also been added.
The council Core positions are: Head Boy, Head Girl, two Student Council Coordinators, one Sports Coordinators and one Vice Student Council Coordinator. The council is non-democratic (members are selected by the teachers and outgoing captains). Usually, the Council is changed in October each year.
Activities and achievements
- The Dhirubhai Ambani International Model United Nations (DAIMUN) is hosted by the school.
- The Paigaam Peace Conference works towards building harmonious cross border relationships.
- Global Membership of Round Square (2008)
- Member of the Council of International Schools (CIS) (2008)
- Best ICSE school in India
- Students work with Indian NGOs such as Advitya, Akanksha, CCDT, Muktangan, Pratham, Eve, Dr. Bhau Daji Lad Museum, Village Project, Goonj and Ishara. The Dhirubhai Ambani International School Akanksha Centre has been set up as part of this programme.
- "DAISight" is a student-initiated organization in affiliation with Lotus Eye College and the Mumbai Eye Care Campaign. DAISight towards improving and spreading awareness of eyecare around Mumbai.
- "Across the Road" is a service project supporting children in slum areas adjacent to the school in educational and developmental needs.
- The "Village Project", born in 2009, and called Empowering Rural India, is a school project where villages are adopted with the objective of eradicating poverty and unemployment through a three-pronged strategy – Education, Infrastructure and Empowerment. This helps the school achieve the UN Millennium Development Objectives as well as the IB Mission goals: “Think Globally and Act Locally.” The school tries to improve means of income generation, empower women and allowing them to contribute to the household income, and implement infrastructure for health care, education, and communication. The two villages are Hassachipatti and Kumbharghar.
- "The Primary & Middle School Programme". Da-is.org. Retrieved 2010-12-31.
- "Dhirubhai Ambani International School". Da-is.org. Retrieved 2010-12-31.
- "Secondary School". Da-is.org. Retrieved 2010-12-31.
- "Post Secondary School". Da-is.org. Retrieved 2010-12-31.
- "International Baccalaureate". Ibo.org. Retrieved 2010-12-31.
- "DAIS GC2016 - Smt. Nita Ambani Speech", YouTube, 1 June 2016, retrieved 3 June 2016
- "Campus Building". Da-is.org. Retrieved 2010-12-31.
- "Campus Facilities". Da-is.org. Retrieved 2010-12-31.
- Round Square International
- "DAIS Glance". Da-is.org. Retrieved 2010-12-31.
- CIS School Members Directory - Online
- "Dhirubhai Ambani International School All India Rank and WAS Score". Retrieved 2016-07-08.