|Elevation||80 m (260 ft)|
|• Official||Bengali, English|
|Time zone||IST (UTC+5:30)|
|Lok Sabha constituency||Jalpaiguri (SC)|
|Vidhan Sabha constituency||Dhupguri (SC), Madarhat (ST), Nagrakata (ST)|
Dhupguri is located at. It has an average elevation of 80 metres (262 feet). It is a municipal town of the Jalpaiguri district. It is located along the foothill regions of Bhutense Himalayas. The Jaldhaka River is the main river flowing along the western margin of the town, besides Daina, Gilandi, Duduya, Kumlai, Jhumur and Bamni etc. are other rivers flowing within the ambit of the town.
As of 2011[update] India census, Dhupguri had a population of 44,719. Males constitute 22953 (51%) of the population and females 21766 (49%). Dhupguri has an average literacy rate of 78%, higher than the national average of 74.04%: male literacy is 81.61% and, female literacy is 74.21%. In Dhupguri, 9.64% of the population is under 6 years of age. The Dhupguri municipality was established in the year 2001. There is a Rajbongshi community surrounding of Dhupguri. The word Rajbongshi means literally "Royal community". They have a rich cultural heritage and their own language. The Koches called themselves "Kamateshwars" (the rulers of Kamata), but their influence and expansions were so extensive and far reaching that their kingdom is sometimes called the Koch Kingdom. Bhawaiya song is a popular musical form in North Bengal specially in Cooch Behar and Jalpaiguri dist. These type of songs sung by koch man to depict the will and woe of the common people.
Dhupguri is a small but growing and prosperous town in Jalpaiguri district. Agriculture is the backbone of economy. Paddy, jute, betel nut and vegetables are produced in large quantities in and around Dhupguri. Dhupguri is notable for its cultivation of Potato which is directly exported to states like Bihar, Assam and entire north eastern states of India. In recent years, international trade has also built up in this region. Potatoes of Dhupguri are now available in the markets of Bangladesh, Nepal and Bhutan. The government regulated wholesale market has helped the farmers in Dhupguri to achieve their success in a big way and make a mark in the agriculture map of the state. The regulated market, locally known as Dhupguri Hut, established a decade back for the wholesale transactions of all agriculture products is the second largest in West Bengal.
Besides agriculture, small-scale industries are also budding in this small town of Jalpaiguri district.
The city is well connected with roads and rail network, National Highway 31[Now the road is converting to 'AH'-Asian Highway from Jaigon Indian-Bhutan border] is running across the middle of the city besides State highways connecting Siliguri/Jalpaiguri and Guwahati also passes over Dhupguri. Passenger vehicles on roads are easily available within the city.
The Dhupguri Town railway station has unique distinction of providing connection to all parts of the country through passenger train service. Many long distance trains including superfast trains daily pass through Dhupguri station and provide link between north, west and southern parts of India with north eastern regions. The town is also connected by road to many parts of West Bengal.
The only college in Dhupguri, Sukanta Mahavidyalaya, was established in 1981 with the departments of English, Bengali, History, Economics, Philosophy, Chemistry, Physics, Mathematics, Botany and Political Science. Later on Physical Education,Geography and Sanskrit have been added. The College is affiliated to the North Bengal University. The college is having a science stream with a unique combination of Physics, Mathematics and Computer Science. It is also having BBA and BCA as self-financing courses.
- Now a 'Ladies College' is newly opened at the behind of Dhupguri College .
- A 'ITI' will be opened at 'Nathuwa' on the way of 30-minute .
Notable schools of this town are:
- Dhupguri Higher Secondary School: This school is the oldest in the town, started in the year 1945. It offers 10+2 in science, arts, commerce and agriculture streams. Approximately 2500 students are in the roll and there are about 45 teachers. Practical classes for science students are conducted in well-equipped and well-furnished laboratories. Although total intake for 10+2 courses is not restricted except science stream which has an intake of around 50 only.
- Purba Mallickpara High School (XII)
- Bairatiguri Higher Secondary School
- Dhupguri Girls Higher Secondary School
- Vidhasram Divyajyoti Vidhaniketan High School(XII)
- Kalirhat D.C High School
- Dawkimari D.N High School
- Mallik Para Higher Secondary School
- Dakshin Khayer Bari High School
Amit Kumar De, the renowned poet, lives in this town. He is very popular among the readers for his Bengali rhymes and poems. He portrays the serene beauty of Dooars with his sensitive pen. His writings take the readers to different places, people, tradition and culture of Dooars. Hundreds of poems and rhymes of Amit Kumar De have been published in Uttarbanga Sambad and several other magazines. His published books are as follows : 'Hat Baralam Dharo' (a collection of Bengali Rhymes), 'Brishti Amay Nibi' (a collection of Bengali Poems), 'Ak Sathe Aksho' (collection of 100 rhymes and poems), 'Chhande Chhobite Dooars (a collection of poems and rhymes on Dooars). Amit Kumar De is popularly called as "Poet of Dooars" (Dooars er Kobi). He is an approved lyricist of All India Radio. He wrote dozens of drammas for All India Radio. His compositions are regularly performed by the artists of North Bengal. Some of his popular drammas are : Fire Paoya, Ekushe February, Rehearsal, Pata Oltanor Shabdo, Ekti Kabyik Sakal, Dhansinri Noditir Tire, Shesh Parani Briddhrashram etc. Amit Kumar De is also the editor of a literary magazine, entitled "CHIKRASHI". This magazine sincerely does the research work on the literary figures of Dooars and North Bengal.
Book Fare is an ornament to this small rural town which started in the year 1989 and is regularly being held as a yearly social festival. Dhupguri is well cultured area, people are very friendly and peace minded.
Dhupguri Vivekananda Yuva Mahamandal has been working since 1987 with the 'man-making, character-building' ideas of Swami Vivekananda under the banner of Akhil Bharat Vivekananda Yuva Mahamandal [abvym
Places of interest
- There is a Vidyaashram, a self-sufficient village following the ideals of Mahatma Gandhi, near Dhupguri established by Dhirendra Nath Dasgupta.
- There are a couple of big clubs in the town named Madhyapara Young Sporting Club, Nabajiban Sangha, STS Club,Uttarayan Caltural Club( Beside on the AH-Gairkata Road),netajee para cultural club,Dhupguri Players Unit, Shanti Sangha and Dakshinayan Club, surhid sangha club and library which arranges spectacular Durga Puja & Kaali Puja, both very popular Bengali/Hindu Festivals in Bengal. Additionally these clubs organizes many cultural and sports activities throughout the year. Rabindra Jayanti is celebrated by many clubs including those mentioned above during birth anniversary of Rabindra Nath Tagore. Tarun Natya Sangstha, a popular drama club in the town, is known for its drama performances, on social and cultural issues. Dhupguri is also a centre of Jatra (four-side open drama) festival during winter.
- Mayer Sthan is the oldest holy temple.
- Dhupguri Municipal Playground[ Just front of the Dhupguri High School]
- The Sonakhali Forest is also a place of tourism interest.[Before the place of 'Gairkata'on bus route]
- The Madhubani is one of the finest place [ On bus route - after the Gairkata ]
- Gorumara National Park and Jaldapara National Park are quite close to Dhupguri.
- Many small hilly picnic spot surround Dhupguri
Staying in Dhupguri
- This is the place of conjunction of all major cities and zones as Assam,Bhutan,Nepal,Bangladesh,Bihar,Siliguri,Coochbehar,Alipurduar and others so, here is developed many Lodging,Fooding,Guest houses with respect of Government Banlows (Duk Banglow) .The city is always busy as a small city .
- Search details for the city : pls. visit Dhupguri Municipalities Web site .
- Dhupguri Police Station is always active to control crime as result any body can walk on road whole-night without fear .
- More than 13th banks are here with their ATM counters .
- Internet and wireless services are widely available here .
- A large village Hospital is constantly providing the health services along-with their capacity.
- "Category, Year of Establishment, Area, SC, ST and total population in ULBs in West Bengal" (PDF). Department of Municipal affairs, Government of West Bengal. Retrieved 2008-11-09.[dead link]