|• Total||3,685 km2 (1,423 sq mi)|
|Elevation||232 m (761 ft)|
|• Density||450/km2 (1,200/sq mi)|
|Time zone||IST (UTC+5:30)|
Sangrur district is in the state of Punjab in North-West Republic of India. Earlier Barnala was part of Sangrur district, but now Barnala is a separate district. Sangrur consists of the cities of Dhuri, Lehragaga, Malerkotla, Sangrur, and Sunam. Other cities are Ahmedgarh, Amargarh, Bhawanigarh, Dirba, Khanauri, Longowal and Moonak. There are 8 sub-divisions in sangrur district namely sangrur, malerkotla, dhuri, sunam, lehragaga, moonak, ahmedgarh and bhawanigarh.
According to the 2011 census Sangrur district had a population of 1,655,169 of which male and female were 878,029 and 777,140 respectively roughly equal to the nation of Guinea-Bissau or the US state of Idaho. This gives it a ranking of 300st in India (out of a total of 640). The district has a population density of 449 inhabitants per square kilometre (1,160/sq mi) . Its population growth rate over the decade 2001-2011 was 12.3%. Sangrur has a sex ratio of 885 females for every 1000 males, and a literacy rate of 67.99%.
- Udham Singh, Indian independence activist, who assassinated Michael O'Dwyer in March 1940
- Surjit Singh Barnala, former chief ministers of Indian Punjab
- Sukhdev Singh Dhindsa,senior Akali leader and former Union cabinet minister.
- Naresh Goyal, founder of Jet Airways
- Gurchet Chitarkar, actor
- Binnu Dhillon, actor & Comedian
- Rana Ranbir, actor, Comedian & Writer
- Irshad Kamil, lyricist and poet
- Rajinder Kaur Bhattal, politician
- "Sangrur District Population 2011". Census2011.co.in. 2013. Retrieved 2013-10-08.
- US Directorate of Intelligence. "Country Comparison:Population". Retrieved 2011-10-01.
Guinea-Bissau 1,596,677 July 2011 est.
- "2010 Resident Population Data". U. S. Census Bureau. Retrieved 2011-09-30.