CSMD Diables Noirs
|Full name||Club Sportif Multidisciplinaire Diables Noirs|
|Ground||Stade Alphonse Massemba-Débat
Brazzaville, Republic of Congo
|League||Congo Premier League|
The club won its seventh domestic league title in 2009.
The Diables Noirs started as an all-star club drawn from clubs through Bacongo. The town of Brazzaville was divided into two sides, Poto-Poto and Bacongo, and no Bacongo team had beaten the top team from Poto-Poto to win the town championship in over 6 years. The teams were part of the Fédération Athlétique Congolaise (FAC), a group of clubs run by the Catholic mission.
The mission kept all proceeds from the team and provided little support to the players. The leaders of teams from Bacongo, who played under the shared sponsorship of Association Sportive de la Mission, told the missionaries they wanted to create their own team of the best players to challenge for the city championship. They chose the name “Black Devils” after the champions from Belgium, the “Red Devils”. The mission, not in favor of the new team or the new name, refused to recognize the team. The youth in the mission decided to boycott mass, and intimidated others from attending. To quell potential upheaval, colonial authorities agreed to the creation of the team and even allowed a percentage of the money they generated.
Style of Play
A Frenchman named Aimé Brun offered to help the team in the role of trainer and adviser. They adopted a short passing game and tighter marking on defense, instead of the traditional British style relying on crosses. With this style, they were finally able to win the city championship against Poto-Poto and go undefeated each year from 1952-1954.
- Brazzavile City Championships: 3
1952, 1953, 1954
- 1961, 1966, 1977, 1992, 2004, 2007, 2009, 2011.
- 1989, 1990, 2003, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2015.
Performance in CAF competitions
- CAF Champions League: 4 appearances
- African Cup of Champions Clubs: 3 appearances
- CAF Confederation Cup: 3 appearances
- CAF Cup Winners' Cup: 2 appearances
- 1990 - Second Round
- 1991 - Second Round
- "Diables Noirs seal seventh Congolese league title". CAFonline.com. 28 October 2009.
- Martin, Phyllis (2002). Leisure and Society in Colonial Brazzaville. Cambridge University Press. pp. 118–119. ISBN 0521524466.
- Team profile - footballdatabase
|This article about a Republic of the Congo football club is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|