2-Pentanone, 4-hydroxy-4-methyl; 4-Hydroxy-2-keto-4-methylpentane; Diacetone alcohol
|3D model (Jmol)||Interactive image|
|Molar mass||116.16 g·mol−1|
|Melting point||−47 °C (−53 °F; 226 K)|
|Boiling point||166 °C (331 °F; 439 K)|
|Solubility||most organic solvents|
Refractive index (nD)
|Flash point||52 °C; 125 °F; 325 K|
|Lethal dose or concentration (LD, LC):|
LD50 (median dose)
|4000 mg/kg (oral, rat)
4653 mg/kg (oral, rabbit)
3950 mg/kg (oral, mouse)
|US health exposure limits (NIOSH):|
|TWA 50 ppm (240 mg/m3)|
methyl isobutyl ketone
Except where otherwise noted, data are given for materials in their standard state (at 25 °C [77 °F], 100 kPa).
|what is ?)(|
Diacetone alcohol is a chemical compound with the formula CH3C(O)CH2C(OH)(CH3)2, sometimes called DAA. This liquid is a common synthetic intermediate used for the preparation of other compounds, and is also used as a solvent.
|This section needs additional citations for verification. (February 2015) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
It is used in cellulose ester lacquers, particularly of the brushing type, where it produces brilliant gloss and hard film and where its lack of odor is desirable. It is used in lacquer thinners, dopes, wood stains, wood preservatives and printing pastes; in coating compositions for paper and textiles; permanent markers; in making artificial silk and leather; in imitation gold leaf; in celluloid cements; as a preservative for animal tissue; in metal cleaning compounds; in the manufacture of photographic film; and in hydraulic brake fluids, where it is usually mixed with an equal volume of castor oil.
- "NIOSH Pocket Guide to Chemical Hazards #0178". National Institute for Occupational Safety and Health (NIOSH).
- "Diacetone alcohol". Immediately Dangerous to Life and Health. National Institute for Occupational Safety and Health (NIOSH).
- Heintz, Ann. 169, 114 (1873)
- Conant, J. B.; Tuttle, N. (1941). "Diacetone Alcohol". Org. Synth. ; Coll. Vol., 1, p. 199
- Conant, J. B.; Tuttle, N. (1941). "Mesityl Oxide". Org. Synth. ; Coll. Vol., 1, p. 345
- MSDS: Sharpie Chisel Tip Permanent Marker - "Household products database" US Department of Health and Human Services