Diamond Trust Bank Group
|Traded as||KN: DTK|
|Products||Banks, mortgages investments|
|Revenue||Aftertax:US$64+ million (KES:5.54 billion) (2013)|
|Total assets||US$1.924+ billion (KES:166.52 billion) (2013)|
Diamond Trust Bank Group (DTB Group) is a major banking group in East Africa, active in Burundi, Kenya, Tanzania, and Uganda. The flagship company of the group, Diamond Trust Bank Kenya, is licensed by the Central Bank of Kenya, the central bank and national banking regulator in Kenya, the largest economy in the East African Community.
DTB Group's main offices are located at Diamond Trust Bank Centre (DTBC), along Mombasa Road, in Nairobi, Kenya. The coordinates of DTBC are:1°19'35.0"S, 36°50'54.0"E (Latitude:-1.326389; Longitude:36.848333).
The flagship of DTB Group is Diamond Trust Bank (Kenya), which was founded in 1946. As of December 2013[update], the group is ranked the eighth largest commercial bank, by assets, out of 43 licensed banks in Kenya. At that time, the group's total assets were approximately US$1.924 billion (KES:166.52 billion), with shareholders' equity of about US$242.1 million (KES:20.95 billion).
The group works in collaboration with the Habib Bank of the Aga Khan Fund for Economic Development and the International Finance Corporation of the World Bank. In July 2017, the Diamond Trust Bank Group acquired 100% ownership of the former "Habib Bank Kenya". The new acquisition merged with Diamond Trust Bank Kenya, effective 1 August 2017. As part of the new acquisition, DTB Group has agreed to retain 41 former Habib Bank employees.
DTB Group includes the following companies:
- Diamond Trust Bank (Kenya) Limited - Retail banking - Nairobi, Kenya 100% Shareholding - A commercial bank in Kenya, serving individuals and businesses. This is the flagship company of the group, accounting for 6.4% of banking assets in Kenya, as at December 2016.
- Diamond Trust Bank (Uganda) Limited - Retail banking - Kampala, Uganda 54.1% Shareholding - A commercial bank in Uganda, serving both individuals and businesses.
- Diamond Trust Bank (Tanzania) Limited - Retail banking - Dar es Salaam, Tanzania 62.9% Shareholding - A commercial bank in Tanzania, serving both individuals and businesses.
- Diamond Trust Bank (Burundi) Limited - Retail banking - Bujumbura, Burundi 67.3% Shareholding - A commercial bank in Bujumbura, serving individuals and businesses.
- Diamond Trust Insurance Agency Limited - Bancassurance - Nairobi, Kenya 100% Shareholding - This unit offers Bancassurance services.
- Diamond Trust Bank (Rwanda) Limited - Retail banking - Kigali, Rwanda - In development.
- Premier Savings and Finance Limited - Dormant - Nairobi, Kenya 100% Shareholding.
Associates companies to the group
- Jubilee Insurance Company of Burundi - Insurance - Bujumbura, Burundi - 20% Shareholding - An insurance company in Burundi. A member of Jubilee Insurance Company Limited. Jubilee Insurance which shares a common shareholder with Diamond Trust Bank (i.e. AKFED) holds 80 percent of the venture.
- Services and Systems Limited - Dormant]] - Nairobi, Kenya - 40 percent Shareholding.
|Rank||Name of Owner||Percentage Ownership|
|1||Aga Khan Fund for Economic Development (AKFED)||16.50|
|2||HBL Pakistan of Pakistan part of AKFED||16.15|
|3||Jubilee Insurance company of Kenya part of AKFED||9.95|
|4||Standard Chartered Nominees A/C Ke18972||2.78|
|5||Standard Chartered Nominee A/C Ke18965||2.23|
|6||The Diamond Jubilee Investment Trust (U) Limited, a subsidiary of AKFED||1.37|
|7||Others via Nairobi Securities Exchange||51.02|
As of August 2014[update] DTB Group maintains a total of nearly 100 branches in the East African countries where it operates. In May 2012, Kenyan press reports indicated that the group planned expansion into Rwanda, the Democratic Republic of the Congo, Mozambique and South Sudan by 2020.
- CBK, . "Directory of Commercial Banks And Mortgage Finance Companies" (PDF). Central Bank of Kenya (CBK). Retrieved 12 August 2014.
- Google, . "Location of Diamond Trust Bank Centre At Google Maps". Google Maps. Retrieved 12 August 2014.
- Bankelele, . (28 April 2014). "Kenya Bank Rankings By Assets In 2013". Bankelele.Co.Ke. Retrieved 12 August 2014.
- DTBG (3 March 2014). "Audited 31 December 2013 Financial Statements And Other Disclosures" (PDF). Diamond Trust Bank Group (DTBG). Retrieved 12 August 2014.
- Ngunjiri, James (28 July 2017). "Habib Bank ceases to exist after 61 years as DTB completes buyout". Business Daily Africa. Nairobi. Retrieved 28 July 2017.
- Ngugi, Brian (30 July 2017). "Watchdog orders DTB to keep 41 Habib jobs". The EastAfrican. Nairobi. Retrieved 30 July 2017.
- BDA Reporter (2 August 2017). "Habib Bank deal lifts DTB market share to 6.4 percent". Business Daily Africa (BDA). Nairobi. Retrieved 3 August 2017.
- Business Times, Correspondent (15 August 2009). "Kenya’s Diamond Trust Bank To Extend To Rwanda". The New Times (Kigali). Retrieved 12 August 2014.
- Herbling, David (4 March 2014). "DTB Charts New Expansion Path for Kenya Banks". Business Daily Africa (Nairobi). Retrieved 12 August 2014.
- DTBG, . (8 May 2017). "Diamond Trust Bank Group: Shareholder Circular" (PDF). Diamond Trust Bank Group (DTBG). Retrieved 29 July 2017.
- Irungu, Geoffrey (11 March 2011). "Diamond Trust Profit Hits KSh2.5 Billion". Business Daily Africa (Nairobi). Retrieved 12 August 2014.
- Nation, Correspondent (4 May 2012). "DTB Gears Up for Rights Issue To Drive Regional Expansion". Daily Nation (Nairobi). Retrieved 12 August 2014.