A diamond jubilee celebrates the 60th anniversary of a significant event related to a person (e.g. accession to the throne, wedding, etc.) or the 60th anniversary of an institution's founding. The term is also used for 75th anniversaries, although the human lifespan makes this usage more common for institutions.
George III of the United Kingdom died a few months before his diamond jubilee was due in 1820. The Diamond Jubilee of Queen Victoria celebrated her 60-year reign on 22 June 1897. The Diamond Jubilee of Queen Elizabeth II was celebrated across the Commonwealth of Nations throughout 2012. Her next level of jubilee would be a platinum jubilee (in February 2022).
In East Asia, the diamond jubilee coincides with the traditional 60-year sexagenary cycle, which is held in special importance despite not generally being called a "diamond jubilee."
The longest reigning monarch in history, Sobhuza II of Swaziland, celebrated his (60 year) diamond jubilee in 1981, dating from when he gained direct rule. There does not appear to have been any (75 year) diamond jubilee celebration.
List of diamond jubilees
|Monarch||Realm||Accession Day||Commemoration||More information|
|Queen Victoria||United Kingdom and the rest of the British Empire||20 June 1837||22 June 1897||Diamond Jubilee of Queen Victoria|
|Franz Joseph I||Austrian Empire, Austro-Hungary||2 December 1848||12 June 1908|
|Sultan Ibrahim Ibni Almarhum Sultan Abu Bakar||Johor||7 September 1895||17 September 1955|
|Aga Khan III||Shia Ismaili||1885||August 1945|
|King Sobhuza II||Swaziland||22 December 1921||1981|
|Emperor Hirohito||Japan||25 December 1926||1986|
|King Bhumibol Adulyadej||Thailand||9 June 1946||10 June 2006||60th Anniversary Celebrations of Bhumibol Adulyadej's Accession|
|Queen Elizabeth II||United Kingdom, Australia, Canada, New Zealand and 12 other Commonwealth realms||6 February 1952||2–5 June 2012||Diamond Jubilee of Elizabeth II|
|His Highness the Aga Khan IV||Shia Ismaili||11 July 1957||11 July 2017|
In 1984, the phrase "Diamond Jubilee" was used by Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer in its logo for the sixtieth anniversary of the studio.
- Silver jubilee
- Ruby jubilee
- Golden jubilee
- Sapphire jubilee
- Platinum jubilee
- Wedding anniversary#Celebration and gifts
- Hierarchy of precious substances
- "75th Anniversary Diamond Jubilee". Augusta University. Retrieved 9 November 2019.
- "Impactful publishing: the Journal of Neurosurgery and its diamond anniversary (1944–2019)". Journal of Neurosurgery. 130 (1). doi:10.3171/2018.9.JNS182570.
- "NDTA 75th Anniversary Funds Campaign". National Defense Transportation Association. Retrieved 9 November 2019.
- "ASMP's 75th Anniversary". American Society of Media Photographers. Retrieved 9 November 2019.
- "Anniversary Celebration History". Hallmark Cards, Inc. Retrieved 9 November 2019.
- "Extra bank holiday to mark Jubilee". Press Association. 5 January 2010. Archived from the original on 8 January 2010. Retrieved 5 January 2010.
- "Queen Victoria's Diamond Jubilee"
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Diamond jubilees.|