List of unofficial Mario media
Unlicensed developers and fans have created unofficial Mario media, especially video games, relating to the Mario franchise. These products include video games, video game mods, and animations. Due to the popularity of the franchise, some of these unlicensed products have received critical attention.
In September 2016, Nintendo of America issued over 500 DMCA takedown requests on diverse websites for various fan games based around Nintendo intellectual properties, resulting in the end of many games development.
- Kaizo Mario World, also known as Asshole Mario, is a series of three ROM hacks of the 1990 Super Nintendo Entertainment System video game Super Mario World, featuring extreme difficulty.
- Dian Shi Mali (Chinese: 電視瑪琍; pinyin: Diànshì Mălì, "TV Mario", also called Mario Lottery, TV Mario or Big TV Mary Bar) is an unlicensed video game released for the Family Computer. It is based on the Taiwanese slot machine game Xiao Ma Li. This video game features a character resembling Mario with an F on his cap, which has become known as "Fortran" based on hidden text discovered in the ROM. The game is a simple roulette wheel/slot machine – different buttons control the betting, and each button produces a musical note. Landing on the coin produces a message in Chinglish: "PUSH START TO RICH". This game became an internet meme when users created fad videos on YouTube.
- Kart Fighter is a 2D fighting game produced for the Nintendo Entertainment System. The game features unauthorized appearances by Nintendo's mascot Mario and the rest of the cast of Super Mario Kart in a port of Street Fighter II.
- Somari is a port of Sega's flagship video game Sonic the Hedgehog, produced for the Nintendo Entertainment System and sold primarily in Asia, Russia, and other regions where pirate Famicom cartridges were distributed, in 1994. The game features a character named "Somari" – Nintendo's mascot Mario wearing Miles "Tails" Prower's shoes.
- Project M is a video game modification (mod) of the 2008 fighting game Super Smash Bros. Brawl for the Wii, created by the community to retool Brawl to play more like its two predecessors, Super Smash Bros. and Super Smash Bros. Melee.
- Super Dram World, a Super Mario World ROMhack named after speedrunner Dram55, designed for high difficulty.
- Modder Kaze Emanuar (also known as Kazeshin) has produced multiple ROMhacks of Super Mario 64:
- Super Mario Run 64 converting the game into a 2.5D running game in the spirit of Super Mario Run;
- Super Mario 64 Online enabling online multiplayer;
- Super Mario 64 Maker a Mario Maker-like level editor;
- Super Mario 64 Odyssey which adds Super Mario Odyssey's mechanic of possessing enemies by throwing Mario's hat;
- Super Mario 64: Last Impact a game with levels made using Super Mario 64's engine
- Ennuigi is a browser game designed by Josh Millard that centers on Luigi's inability to come to terms with the lack of narrative in Super Mario Bros.
- Super Obama World is a remodeled Super Mario World that features Barack Obama as the protagonist against enemies such as lobbyists, Sarah Palin, and pigs wearing lipstick.
- Tuper Tario Tros. is a sidescrolling platformer mashup of Super Mario Bros. and Tetris. As the visible screen automatically scrolls to the right, the player moves to the right while avoiding obstacles. The player can switch between moving the player-character Mario and dropping tetrominos that Mario can use as platforms. The game has traditional Mario enemies. The Flash game is freely available via Newgrounds. Chris Donlan of Edge wrote that the game showed signs of hasty development. Its gameplay was occasionally inelegant as a result. Jenni Lada of TechnologyTell particularly appreciated how she could build a staircase to the flagpole at the end of the level.
- Super Mario War is fan-made battle-based Mario platformer. The game has been ported to a number of platforms, including the Wii.
- Mario Bros. II is a 1987 computer game for Commodore 64, inspired by Mario Bros, it is unrelated to Nintendo and its Nintendo Entertainment System video game Super Mario Bros 2. It is presented as a fan-made sequel to the arcade game Mario Bros.
- Mari0 is a fan game that combines elements of Portal and Super Mario Bros.
- Super Mario Bros. Crossover is a flash game that puts various video game characters into Super Mario Bros. levels.
- Super Smash Bros. Crusade is a Super Smash Bros. fan game featuring over 60 characters and 24 stages.
- Super Smash Flash is a series of non-profit, fighting, crossover, fan-made Flash games based on the Super Smash Bros. series.
- Secret Maryo Chronicles is a free, open source two-dimensional platform game.
- Super Smash Land is a demake of Super Smash Bros. featuring six playable characters and eleven stages. The game visual design resembles the graphics from the Nintendo Game Boy.
- No Mario's Sky is an indie game that crosses over between the gameplay of No Man's Sky and Super Mario Bros. The game was taken down by Nintendo.
- Mario Kart: Source was a planned total conversion mod in development using the Source game engine developed by Valve Corporation. It was first announced in 2006 with development suspending in November 2012 after Nintendo had sued the creator. It is based on the Mario Kart series.
- Kill the Plumber is a platform game parody of Super Mario Bros. Players control the inhabitants of a kingdom invaded by a plumber and must stop him before he can reach a princess.
- Trumptendo is a website created by artist Jeff Hong, featuring hacked versions of various Nintendo Entertainment System games (including Super Mario Bros.) that replace characters with Donald Trump and other United States political figures.
- Super Mario 64 HD is an unofficial remake of the first level of Super Mario 64 using the Unity game engine.
- Super Hornio Brothers and Super Hornio Brothers II are two 1993 pornographic parodies of the Super Mario franchise, they were released at the same time as the Super Mario Bros. film. Both films star Buck Adams, T. T. Boy, Ron Jeremy and Chelsea Lynx as the main characters.
- "The Palette of T. Takemoto and the Dark Art of Asshole Mario 3".
- GM 95 - The Series
- Billock, Jennifer (August 6, 2015). "One of the Mario Bros. has an existential crisis in the new game Ennuigi". The A.V. Club. The Onion, Inc. Retrieved August 31, 2016.
- Maiberg, Emanuel (August 17, 2015). "Uh Oh, Luigi Read Some Derrida and Now He's 'Ennuigi'". Motherboard. Vice. Retrieved August 31, 2016.
- Schneider, Martin (August 6, 2015). "'Ennuigi': Nintendo for pretentious existentialists". Dangerous Minds. DangerousMinds.net. Retrieved August 31, 2016.
- "BBC NEWS - Technology - Obama takes lead in virtual world". bbc.co.uk.
- "Our 44th president stars in Zensoft's political Mario parody Super Obama World - GamerTell - TechnologyTell". TechnologyTell.
- "Super Obama World". Time. November 24, 2008.
- "Super Obama World". The Economist. November 12, 2008.
- Lada, Jenni (January 7, 2010). "Tuper Tario Tros an interesting Super Mario Bros and Tetris mashup". TechnologyTell. Archived from the original on July 24, 2015. Retrieved July 24, 2015.
- Donlan, Chris (September 2, 2011). "The Friday Game: Tuper Tario Tros". Edge. Future. Archived from the original on March 28, 2012. Retrieved July 24, 2015.
- Florian Eckhardt. "Super Mario War Brings Deathmatch To The Mushroom Kingdom". Kotaku. Retrieved 2011-09-19.
- "Super Smash Bros. Crusade Now Has Over 60 Characters, 24 Stages, And An Online Mode". Siliconera. Retrieved 2015-08-20.
- McLeod, Gregory. "McLeodGaming :: About". McLeodGaming. Retrieved 5 November 2012.
- Sbarski, Peter (January 21, 2008). "Top 5 best (free) open source games". APC. Retrieved February 8, 2010.
- Duncan, Alasdair (15 September 2011). "Super Smash Land is awesome and free!". Destructoid. Retrieved 16 November 2014.
- Filice, Albert (19 September 2011). "Super Smash Land: A Game Boy-Style Smash Bros. Tribute". TechHive. Retrieved 16 November 2014.
- McWhertor, Michael. "Super Smash Bros. 'De-made' For Game Boy Looks Crazy Enough To Work". Kotaku. Retrieved 2016-04-29.
- Mod explanation on Joystiq