Location in Madagascar
|• Total||19,266 km2 (7,439 sq mi)|
|• Density||37/km2 (97/sq mi)|
|Time zone||EAT (UTC3)|
Diana is a region in Madagascar at the most northerly part of the island. It borders the regions of Sava to the southeast and Sofia to the southwest. It covers an area of 19,266 km2, and had an estimated population of 700,021 in 2013. The regional capital is Antsiranana (previously known as Diego Suarez).
The main rivers of the Diana region are:
Nature reserves and visitors' attractions
The following national parks, reserves and visitors' attractions are located in Diana:
- Amber Mountain National Park
- Analamerana Reserve
- Ankarana Reserve
- Lokobe Reserve
- Manongarivo Reserve
- Tsaratanana Reserve
- Tsingy Rouge
Diana region is divided into five districts, which are subdivided into 51 communes. The districts are listed below with their 2013 populations:
- Ambanja District (190,435)
- Ambilobe District (216,145)
- Antsiranana I District (the city of Antsiranana) (115,015)
- Antsiranana II District (the rural area surrounding the city) (105,416)
- Nosy Be District (the island of Nosy Be) (73,010)
- Seaports in Antsiranana and Nosy Be
- 2 regional airports, Arrachart Airport (Antsiranana) and Fascene Airport, in Nosy Be
- 2 local airports in Ambanja and Ambilobe
- The region is crossed by the paved Route Nationale 6 (Antsiranana - Ambilobe - Ambanja) and the unpaved Route Nationale 5a from Ambilobe to Vohemar.
The main crops are:
- subsistence agriculture: 75.510 ha (67% of the cultivated area): rice, manioc, corn, beans, sweet potato and potato
- cash crops: 21.560 ha (19% of the cultivated area): coffee, pepper, cacao and vanilla
- industrial crops: 15.420 ha (13% of the cultivated area): sugar cane, peanuts and cotton
- Cattle raising: in 2002 the region contained 308.530 bovines, 53.980 swine, 2.840 sheep and 44.520 goats.
- Institut National de la Statistique, Madagascar.
(in French) Monographie de la Région Diana
|This Diana Region of Madagascar location article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|