Diana Vishneva, 2007
|Born||Diana Viktorovna Vishnyova
July 13, 1976
Leningrad, Soviet Union
|Current group||Mariinsky Ballet|
Diana Viktorovna Vishneva (also trans. Vishnyova Russian: Диа́на Ви́кторовна Вишнёва; born July 13, 1976) is a Russian ballet dancer who performs as a principal dancer with the Mariinsky Ballet (formerly the Kirov Ballet).
Vishneva was born in Saint Petersburg and was trained at the Vaganova Academy of Russian Ballet. While at the Vaganova school, she scored the highest scores known to the school's history. During her last year at the Academy she also trained at the Mariinsky Theatre. Vishneva joined the Mariinsky Ballet Company upon her graduation in 1995. Two prizes at the start of her career at the Mariinsky–the Benois de la Danse and the Golden Sofit helped Vishneva rise up the ranks swiftly. She was promoted to principal in 1996.
In 2008, Vishneva joined the Honorary Board of Directors of the Russian Children's Welfare Society (RCWS). Vishneva was one of the featured dancers in the 2006 documentary Ballerina. Became the new face of Kèrastase's latest product line and in-salon treatment, Discipline.
Vishneva's repertoire includes Don Quixote, Romeo and Juliet, La Bayadère, Sleeping Beauty, Swan Lake, The Firebird and Giselle. She also performs the works of modern choreographers, especially those of George Balanchine, William Forsythe and Roland Petit. She has enjoyed critical acclaim for her interpretation of Rubies, (the second movement of Balanchine's evening-length, ballet, Jewels) Giselle, and Kenneth MacMillan's Manon. Her partners have included such well-known dancers as Angel Corella and Vladimir Malakhov.
In addition to dancing with the Kirov Ballet, Vishneva has made guest appearances with many ballet companies, including not only American Ballet Theatre, but also the Bolshoi Ballet, the Paris Opera Ballet, Teatro alla Scala in Milan and Staatsoper Unter den Linden in Berlin.
In October 2011 the Mariinsky Theatre hosted the premiere of the new ballet project Diana Vishneva: Dialogues, which brings together works by world class choreographers – Martha Graham (USA) Paul Lightfoot and Sol León (Netherlands) and John Neumeier (Germany). The programme, which consists of three independent ballets, has since been performed to great acclaim in Moscow and New York.
• People's Artist of Russia (2007)
• Recipient of the State Prize of Russia (2000)
• Prizewinner at the International Ballet Competition (Lausanne, 1994)
• Recipient of the Benois de la Danse prize (1996), the Golden Sofit (1996), the Baltika prize (1998), the Golden Mask (2001), the Dancer of Europe 2002 prize, Ballet magazine prize (2003)
• Recipient of Russia’s Golden Mask theatre prize (2009) in three categories: “Ballet/Best Production”, “Ballet/Contemporary dance/Best actress” and “Critics' Award” (Diana Vishneva: Beauty in Motion; project by Sergei Danilian, USA-Russia)
• Recipient of Russia’s Golden Mask theatre prize (2013) in the categories: “Ballet/ Best Production” and “Ballet/Contemporary dance/Best actress” (Diana Vishneva: Dialogues)
- 2012, Diana Vishneva through the Lens of Patrick Demarchelier, Multimedia Art Museum, Moscow
- 2014, Diana Vishneva created her first 'haute couture' dancewear line in collaboration with Grishko and Tatyana Parfionova.
- Prima Ballerina With Supple Grace and a Will of Steel, article by Roslyn Sulcas, The New York Times, 14 June 2007.
- Dancers Principals - Diana Vishneva, American Ballet Theatre.
- Diana Vishneva's Official
- Kourlas, Gia (2017-06-20). "Diana Vishneva Bids Farewell to Ballet Theater, but Not to Dance". The New York Times. ISSN 0362-4331. Retrieved 2017-06-27.
- Events: Petroushka on the Hudson, Russian Children's Welfare Society
- About Us: Board of Directors, Russian Children's Welfare Society
- Kerastase Paris Partners with Prima Ballerina Diana Vishneva
- The Beauty Secrets of a World-Famous Principal Ballerina Cosmopolitan.
- Mariinsky Theatre Artist Profile
- Diana Vishneva through the Lens of Patrick Demarchelier, MAMM
- Diana Vishneva Dancewear Line
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Diana Vishneva.|