|Nationality||Canadian, US, British|
|Occupation(s)||Author, editor, journalist|
|Known for||Editor, Financial Post|
Diane Marie Francis (born 1946) is an US-born British-Canadian journalist, author and editor-at-large for the National Post newspaper since 1998. She is a non-resident senior fellow at the Atlantic Council in Washington, D.C., specializing in Eurasia policy and political issues. Since 2021, she has published a Substack newsletter twice a week.
Francis was a reporter and columnist with the Toronto Star from 1981 to 1987, then a columnist and director with the Toronto Sun, Maclean's and the Financial Post in 1987 and its editor from 1991 to 1998, when it was taken over by the National Post and incorporated into it. She has been a columnist and editor-at-large at the National Post since then. She is also a regular contributor to the Atlantic Council, New York Post, the Huffington Post, and the Kyiv Post, as well as newspapers around the world. She is a broadcaster, speaker and author of ten books on Canadian socioeconomic subjects.
Francis is a distinguished professor at the Ted Rogers School of Management at Toronto Metropolitan University (formerly Ryerson University) in Toronto. She was a visiting fellow at Harvard University's Shorenstein Center in autumn 2005 and has been a media fellow at the World Economic Forum.
She holds an honorary Doctorate of Commerce from the Saint Mary's University (1997), and an Honorary Doctorate from Ryerson University (2013). In 2019, she received the Tryzub Award as a Friend of Ukraine for her decades of work and anti-corruption activism in that country.
- Merger of the Century: Why Canada and America Should Become One Country (2013), HarperCollins
- Who Owns Canada Now (2008), HarperCollins
- Immigration: The Economic Case (2002), Key Porter Books, ISBN 1-55263-532-5
- Underground Nation: The Secret Economy and the Future of Canada (2002), Key Porter Books, ISBN 1-55013-612-7
- BRE-X: The Inside Story – The Stock Swindle That Shocked The World (1998), Seal Books, ISBN 1-55013-913-4
- Fighting for Canada (1996), Key Porter Books, ISBN 1-55013-796-4
- A Matter of Survival: Canada in the 21st Century (1993), Key Porter Books
- The Diane Francis Inside Guide to Canada's 50 Best Stocks (1990), Key Porter Books, ISBN 1-55013-218-0
- Contrepreneurs (1988), Macmillan of Canada, ISBN 0771599153
- Controlling Interest – Who Owns Canada (1986), Macmillan Publishers, ISBN 0-7715-9744-4
- "Official biography". dianefrancis.com. Archived from the original on 31 January 2010. Retrieved 18 December 2009.
- "Controlling interest : who owns Canada? / Diane Francis (ResAnet record)". Library and Archives Canada. Retrieved 28 December 2009.
- "Francis, Diane (Marie) 1946- | Encyclopedia.com". encyclopedia.com. Retrieved 28 November 2019.
- Diane Francis, dianefrancismylife blog, Diane Francis' Life, 4 February 2006
- Financial Post, Diane Francis, retrieved 31 January 2019
- "Diane Francis – bio – CEO Outlook – Ryerson University". ryerson.ca. Archived from the original on 27 May 2010. Retrieved 19 January 2012.
- Harvard University, Former Fellows and Visiting Faculty, retrieved 24 August 2010
- http://library2.smu.ca/bitstream/handle/01/25031/convocation_1997_fall.pdf#page=15[bare URL PDF]
- "Diane Marie Francis | the Patrick Power Library | Saint Mary's University".
- "Past Honorary Doctorates". Ryerson University. Retrieved 13 May 2020.