20 January 1944|
Kitchener, Ontario, Canada
6 October 2014 (aged 70)|
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
|Known for||The Trouble with Tracy|
Diane Nyland Proctor (20 January 1944 – 6 October 2014) was a Canadian actress, director and choreographer. She is perhaps best known for having portrayed the title role in the 1970-71 CTV television series The Trouble with Tracy.
She joined the National Ballet of Canada for two seasons, turning to acting in the mid-1960s. She joined the Charlottetown Festival in 1965 and remained there for several years, with roles including Josie Pye in the original production of Anne of Green Gables - The Musical and Belinda in Johnny Belinda. She was cast in the title role in CTV Television's The Trouble with Tracy in 1970. After that show's production run ended in 1971, she became a director and choreographer in musical theatre, with only one further television role, in a 1992 episode of Street Legal.
Her directorial credits included both Toronto and national touring productions of musicals such as Dancing in the Dark, Rose Is a Rose, Mame, Oklahoma!, My Fair Lady, Guys and Dolls and I Do! I Do!. She served as artistic director of the Kawartha Summer Theatre in Kawartha Lakes in the 1990s; in 1997 she returned to the Charlottetown Festival to direct productions of both Johnny Belinda and Anne of Green Gables - The Musical.
- 1968-69 - Charlottetown Festival, Johnny Belinda as Belinda MacDonald
- Sleeman, Elizabeth (2001). International Who's Who of Women. Psychology Press. p. 458. ISBN 9781857431223. Retrieved 7 October 2014.
- Ouzounian, Richard (7 October 2014). "Diane Nyland Proctor dead at 70". Toronto Star. Retrieved 7 October 2014.
- "Cast does its best with skimpy '30s-style plot". Toronto Star, 9 February 1986.
- "Enchanting kids' show blazes with color, life". Toronto Star, 14 May 1987
- "Acting's great in Leah Posluns version of Mame". Toronto Star, 3 May 1988.
- "Director can't escape her sitcom past". Calgary Herald, 27 November 1996.
- "A welcome return for an evergreen musical". Calgary Herald, 3 December 1999.
- "Stage West on right track: This Guys and Dolls has brio". Calgary Herald, 29 November 1998.
- "Lightweight musical fine for summer". Ottawa Citizen, 16 August 1990.
- "Johnny joins Anne at Charlottetown Fest". The Globe and Mail, 23 November 1996.
- "Spring Awakening sweeps Doras". Toronto Star, 17 June 1986.