|Occupation||Founder/Director of ASVOFF, fashion blogger and critic|
Education and early career
Pernet was born in Washington, D.C. on October 8th, 1946 and received a degree in documentary filmmaking from Temple University. In addition to creating several films of her own, she has maintained a love for cinema ever since. Becoming a New York City fashion designer in the 1980s, she maintained a label of her own for 13 years.
Relocating to Paris in 1990, Diane Pernet's first job there was as a costume designer for director Amos Gitai and his film Golem, l'Esprit d'Exile. Her work for the CBC’s Fashion File programme led to an appointment at Hong Kong Joyce magazine, where she was the women's fashion editor for five years.
Fashion Blog Pioneer
Embracing fully the late-90s internet revolution, Diane took on a “Dr. Diane” fashion-advice column at Elle.com, and covered the runways for Vogue.fr. Success in these endeavours led to the creation of one of the internet's first fashion blogs in 2005, A Shaded View on Fashion (ASVOF), an online fashion platform whose early success led The New York Times to anoint her "the original style blogger". Also prolific on other social media platforms, she influences thousands with her daily fashion news and updates.
In September 2006, to promote the launch of his brand's menswear line, Mark Eley of Eley Kishimoto commissioned her to make a documentary around a "Gumball 3000" (or "Gumball Rally") road-trip between London and Monte Carlo. It was this project and the interest that it generated that rekindled her love for cinema and motivated her to invent the 'fashion film' genre.Rather than exploring the idea through actual film-making, she decided to make it an open celebration in which anyone who shared her interest could participate. This was the genesis of her first "You Wear it Well" fashion-film festival that she, with photographer Dino Dinco, curated at the Los Angeles CineSpace from the 1st of August 2006.
This brainchild developed into a three-day "A Shaded View on Fashion Film" (ASVOFF) festival that was showcased for the first time in September 2008 at Paris' Jeu de Paume museum. With fashion film as a centrepiece, ASVOFF developed into a yearly travelling international event with satellite conferences, performances and exhibitions. Pernet has used the ASVOFF platform to support the photo-to-film transition for fashion mavericks including Nick Knight and Steven Klein.antenna venues in fashion events the world over.
Pernet's iconic personal style has attracted cinematographer attention as well: she has figured in the Robert Altman film Prêt-à-Porter, Roman Polanski's The Ninth Gate, Larry Clark's The Smell of Us and Ben Stiller's 2016 Zoolander 2.
- 2002–2011: Talent scout for the Hyères Festival
- 2007: Co-curator of NOOVO, a fashion and photography festival in Santiago de Compostela.
- 2007–2012: Co-Editor-in-Chief of Zoo Magazine (Germany)
- 2010: Curator of CineOpera, a series of films by the composer/director Michael Nyman for Corso Como, a fashion/art exhibition and an ASVOFF film program at the 2010 New York Scope Art Fair.
- April 2012: editor of Ninja, a fashion, art and photography magazine
- 2011–2017: fashion journalist for MFF (Milano Finanza Fashion).
- 2014: launches a perfume line of four fragrances.
- 2014–present: journalist for Modern Weekly, Shanghai.
On March 30, 2008, Pernet was chosen, as one of world's top three influential global bloggers, to take part in a panel celebrating a seminal fashion exhibition at New York's venerated Metropolitan Museum of Art. From July 2015, Business of Fashion listed her as one of fashion's 500 most influential actors.
- 2012: Recipient of the distinguished FAD Medal from the Barcelona-based cultural institution devoted to the promotion of design and creativity, FAD (Fostering Arts and Design).
- 18 April 2013: in an award ceremony on the 18th of April that year, Diane Pernet is the recipient of the 13th edition of the Felicidad Duce Fashion award for her career as a fashion editor, for her role as internet fashion-writer pioneer, and her role as lead blogger of the genre, and her role as the godmother of emerging fashion talent, as well as for her sensitivity to the film genre that combines art, film and fashion photography. The Escola Superior de Disseny Felicidad Duce Barclona created this award in honor of its founder, Ms. Felicidad Duce.
- September 2014: In Perth, Australia, the President and Executive board of the Asian Couture Federation awarded her the Award of Excellence for her outstanding contribution to fashion journalism.
- May 8, 2015: Pernet was invited by the School of the Art Institute of Chicago to be their yearly Legend of Fashion honoree for her career as a critic, filmmaker and style icon.
- 2013: Pernet is accepted into the Business of Fashion "BOF 500", a list of their 'most influential' fashion movers and icons, and from September 2015, she was promoted to their 500 Hall of Fame, the highest honour reserved for those who have demonstrated sustained achievement over the course of their fashion careers.
- 2017: elected Female Style Icon by Fashion.Net.
- October 2018: Pernet was awarded the Inspirational–Visionary award by BIG SEE (BIG South-East Europe) for her work in developing the fashion film genre, for and her blogging career, as well as for her influence in south-eastern Europe's fashion design and art trades.
- 2016: President of the Forward Fashion Tech Awards by Showroom Prive.
- 2017: Nominator for the Beazley award 2017. Designer nominated: Aitor Throup.
At the age of 28 Diane Pernet married her first husband Norman, who she has met at the dentist chair. He died in a car accident three years later. After his death, Diane has been married three more times.
- "Zoo Magazine". Zoomagazine.de. Retrieved 2011-08-02.
- "Diane Pernet on Tavi, Fashion Film, and the Future of Catwalks – Fashionista: Fashion Industry News, Designers, Runway Shows, Style Advice". Fashionista.com. 2010-08-12. Retrieved 2011-08-02.
- Diane Pernet 2009 press release, p. 2
- "Diane Pernet, la dame en noir vogue entre mode et cinéma". Les Inrocks (in French). Retrieved 2019-06-19.
- "Home – Fashion Week". Retrieved 2018-10-06.
- Murphy, Tim. "Q. and A. | Diane Pernet, the Original Style Blogger, on Fashion and Film". T Magazine. Retrieved 2018-10-06.
- "Diane Pernetis One of the 500 People Shaping the Global Fashion Industry". The Business of Fashion. Retrieved 2019-06-18.
- "Eley Kishimoto Blog | BLAST FROM THE PAST". www.eleykishimoto.com. Retrieved 2019-06-19.
- Diane Pernet (2012-08-03), Adventure of Pleasure 2005 - for Eley Kishimoto.mov, retrieved 2019-06-19
- "You Wear it Well – SHOWstudio – The Home of Fashion Film". web.archive.org. 2012-08-29. Retrieved 2019-06-18.
- "'A SHADED VIEW ON FASHION FILM'". Le Jeu de Paume. Retrieved 2019-06-22.
- Postolache, Myra (2018-04-05). "A chat with Diane Pernet – 'Fashion Film' is a vibrant and still relatively new applied art form". 33 MAGAZINE. Retrieved 2019-06-19.
- Rabimov, Stephan. "A Shaded View On Fashion Film Festival: A Decade Of Capturing The Zeitgeist". Forbes. Retrieved 2019-08-09.
- "Bilbao the Guggenheim Screening and a visit to Persuade-photos by Andrew Trotter". Retrieved 2019-06-22.
- "Barcelona to Host ASVOFF Film Festival | Stylus". Stylus | Innovation Research & Advisory. Retrieved 2019-06-19.
- "A Shaded View on Fashion Film lands in Barcelona – Vogue.it". www.vogue.it (in Italian). Retrieved 2019-06-19.
- Gilles, FashionNetwork com, Florent. "ASVOFF emmène ses films de mode à Cannes". FashionNetwork.com (in French). Retrieved 2019-06-19.
- VICE Staff; Dangerfield, Micha Barban (2015-12-02). "le film de mode a lui aussi son festival". I-D (in French). Retrieved 2019-06-22.
- "Et si on passait le week-end à regarder des films de mode ?". Marie Claire (in French). Retrieved 2019-06-22.
- "" Blossom Première Vision " s'impose comme le rendez-vous des pré-collections créatives @ Palais Brongniart !! – Les Nouvelles de Paris" (in French). Retrieved 2019-06-22.
- "Paris women's fall-winter 13 / 14 | modemonline.com". www.modemonline.com. Retrieved 2019-06-22.
- "CHAMPS ELYSEES FILM FESTIVAL – JUNE 11 – 17 – PARIS | THE UNTITLED MAGAZINE". untitled-magazine.com. Retrieved 2019-06-22.
- "Hyeres 2010 Villa Noailles Hyeres". 1995-2015.undo.net (in Italian). Retrieved 2019-06-19.
- "Blaak and Diane Pernet – Vogue.it". www.vogue.it (in Italian). Retrieved 2019-06-19.
- "London – studio visits and a mini screening at the CHelsea Arts Club". Retrieved 2019-06-22.
- "VIDEO: AltaRoma and Bulgari bring Asvoff to Rome". NOWFASHION. 2014-01-23. Retrieved 2019-06-19.
- "DRY AT THE PALACE". collectible DRY magazine. Retrieved 2019-06-19.
- "A SHADED VIEW ON FASHION FILM FESTIVAL AT THE OFF CIRCUIT OF VENICE FILM FESTIVAL". FBF. 2012-08-26. Retrieved 2019-06-19.
- "MILAN/ ART – Asvoff, entre mode et cinéma". lepetitjournal.com (in French). Retrieved 2019-06-22.
- "Participation / Atopos". ATOPOScvc. Retrieved 2019-06-19.
- "DIANE PERNET presents ASVOFF TOKYO 2013 | Amazon Fashion Week TOKYO". amazonfashionweektokyo.com. Retrieved 2019-06-19.
- "The Rise of Creative Collaborations In China". WGSN Insider. 2016-10-24. Retrieved 2019-06-19.
- "Shanghai Fashion Week Ups the Ante". The Business of Fashion. 2016-10-24. Retrieved 2019-06-19.
- "ASVOFF goes to China 14 th – 23rd October, 2016". Retrieved 2019-06-22.
- "세계적인 저널리스트 Diane이 딜라이트에!". SAMSUNG NEWSROOM (in Korean). 2010-04-05. Retrieved 2019-06-19.
- Dazed (2009-10-22). "Dazed & Confused Korea Party". Dazed. Retrieved 2019-06-19.
- "A Shaded View on Fashion Film". Museum of Fine Arts, Boston. Retrieved 2019-06-19.
- Editors (2015-04-29). "A Shaded View on Fashion Film in Chicago". StyleZeitgeist. Retrieved 2019-06-19.
- Vivarelli, Nick; Vivarelli, Nick (2014-02-24). "A Shaded View on Fashion Film Festival To Hold New York Satellite Edition". Variety. Retrieved 2019-06-19.
- "ASVOFF miami — Daily Journal Autre Magazine". Autre Magazine. Retrieved 2019-06-19.
- Roberge, Nelson (2013-10-09). "Triptyque présente La cité idéale au Festival du Nouveau Cinéma". Baron Mag (in French). Retrieved 2019-06-22.
- "coolhuntermx | ASVOFF: Mexico City". coolhuntermx. 2014-05-14. Retrieved 2019-06-19.
- "A Shaded View in Vienna". ray Filmmagazin (in German). 2012-06-08. Retrieved 2019-06-19.
- ""Modeblogger sollten wieder Meinung zeigen."". amazed (in German). 2013-03-23. Retrieved 2019-06-19.
- "ASVOFF ANTWERP – MoMu Blog". Archived from the original on 2019-06-19. Retrieved 2019-06-19.
- "film competition | Trend Tablet". www.trendtablet.com. Retrieved 2019-06-19.
- "MASS BY Freudenthal/Verhagen". Retrieved 2019-06-22.
- "On Tour – Fashion Week Poland 2014". Copenhagen Fashion Film. Retrieved 2019-06-19.
- "ASVOFF". Balkan Fashion Week. Retrieved 2019-06-19.
- "Tuvojas modes pasākums "[moment]"". TVNET (in Latvian). 2008-10-20. Retrieved 2019-06-19.
- "Geniile modei se întâlnesc la Cluj". evz.ro (in Romanian). Retrieved 2019-06-19.
- "Święto mody i filmu w Łodzi. 4 Fashion Film Festival". WPROST.pl (in Polish). 2014-04-28. Retrieved 2019-06-19.
- "Day 1 Tbilisi, Georgia". Retrieved 2019-06-19.
- "FASHION FILM FESTIVAL I BRATISLAVA 2019". Pavleye Art & Culture. Retrieved 2019-06-19.
- ""A SHADED VIEW ON FASHION FILM" (ASVOFF) | Russian Fashion Week | TribaSpace". www.tribaspace.com. Retrieved 2019-06-19.
- "Event tourism: ASVOFF festival in St. Petersburg". www.tohology.com (in Russian). Retrieved 2019-06-19.
- "Outcasts Incorporated". outcasts-inc.com. Retrieved 2019-06-19.
- "В Минске стартовал Fashion Bazaar | событие — Модные ножки". mod-no.com (in Russian). Retrieved 2019-06-19.
- "A SHADED VIEW ON FASHION FILM #6 ВО ВЛАДИВОСТОКЕ". ЦСИ ЗАРЯ. Retrieved 2019-06-19.
- Ready to Wear (1994) – IMDb, retrieved 2019-06-19
- The Ninth Gate (1999) – IMDb, retrieved 2019-06-19
- The Smell of Us (2014) – IMDb, retrieved 2019-06-19
- Zoolander 2 (2016) – IMDb, retrieved 2019-06-19
- "A Hyères, les belles rencontres de la photographie et de la mode". LeMonde.fr. Retrieved 2011-08-02.
- "NOOVO FESTIVAL FOR FASHION AND PHOTOGRAPHY". www.noovoeditions.com. Retrieved 2019-06-19.
- "Diane Pernet and Michael Nyman – Vogue.it". www.vogue.it (in Italian). Retrieved 2019-06-19.
- "ASVOFF goes to New York City – Catwalk Yourself". Retrieved 2019-06-19.
- "ArtNexus – Press Releases". www.artnexus.com. Retrieved 2019-06-19.
- "AVERY: Diane Pernet Paris". www.averyperfumegallery.com. Retrieved 2019-06-23.
- "Diane Pernet把目光投向内心 - 周末画报". www.modernweekly.com. Retrieved 2019-06-24.
- ""addressing fashion sparks dialogue at metropolitan museums costume institute"". www.metmuseum.org. Retrieved 2019-06-19.
- "Diane Pernet | BoF 500 | The Business of Fashion". web.archive.org. 2015-07-16. Retrieved 2019-06-18.
- "Evento | Escuela de Diseño LCI Barcelona | Institución de Educación Superior". www.lcibarcelona.com. Retrieved 2019-06-23.
- ""Tribute to Diana Pernet" by Livia Alcalde". TPM Editorials. 2017-08-25. Retrieved 2019-06-23.
- "Intertrade Group". Intertrade Group (in Italian). 2015-05-29. Retrieved 2019-06-23.
- "Diane Pernet". Business of Fashion. Retrieved 17 April 2018.
- "The FASHION NET Awards". www.fashion.net. Retrieved 2019-06-23.
- "Diane Pernet│BIG SEE Inspirational Visionary Award 2018 – BigSEE". Retrieved 2019-06-23.
- Balmat, Noémie (2016-02-28). "EVENT | Paris WEAREABLE FashionTech Festival take-outs". futur404. Retrieved 2019-06-23.
- Q42, Fabrique &. "'The Rite of Spring/Summer/Autumn/Winter' New Object Research collection". Design Museum. Retrieved 2019-06-23.
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 2014-03-27. Retrieved 2014-01-06.CS1 maint: archived copy as title (link)
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 2014-01-07. Retrieved 2014-01-06.CS1 maint: archived copy as title (link)
- Time Magazine: Diane Pernet on Thai fashion designers
- The Times: 40 bloggers who really matter
- The Times: Bloggers are snapping up front row seats at London Fashion Week
- Diane Pernet talks about her personal style
- Collin McDowell: Diane Pernet, The Shaded Lady
- TMagazine: DIane Pernet: The original style blogger on fashion and film
- L'Officiel: Diane Pernet: Rencontre avec la grande dame noire de la mode
- Diane Pernet: Blogger Profile
- Les films de mode avec Diane Pernet