Dianne Cook (statistician)
Dianne Helen Cook
|Alma mater||University of New England (BSc, DipEd)|
Rutgers University (MSc, PhD)
|Occupation||Professor of econometrics & business statistics|
|Institutions||Iowa State University (1993–2015)|
Monash University (2015–present)
|Thesis||Grand Tour and Projection Pursuit (1993)|
|Doctoral advisor||Andreas Buja|
|Doctoral students||Yihui Xie|
Dianne Helen Cook is an Australian statistician, the editor of the Journal of Computational and Graphical Statistics, and an expert on the visualization of high-dimensional data. She is Professor of Business Analytics in the Department of Econometrics and Business Statistics at Monash University and professor emeritus of statistics at Iowa State University. The emeritus status was chosen so that she could continue to supervise graduate students at Iowa State after moving to Australia.
Education and early life
Dianne Helen Cook grew up in Wauchope, New South Wales as an athletic farm girl, the first woman to play on her local (men's) cricket team. She studied statistics at University of New England (Australia), where she earned a BSc and Dip.Ed. in 1982. She received her MS in 1990 and her PhD in 1993 from Rutgers University; her dissertation, supervised jointly by Andreas Buja and Javier Cabrera, was Grand Tour and Projection Pursuit.
Career and research
- Dianne Cook publications indexed by Google Scholar
- Dianne Cook at the Mathematics Genealogy Project
- Xie, Yihui (2013). Dynamic Graphics and Reporting for Statistics. iastate.edu (PhD thesis). Iowa State University. doi:10.31274/etd-180810-3256. OCLC 880379367. ProQuest 1500559149.
- Q&A with Dianne Cook, Journal of Computational and Graphical Statistics Editor, American Statistical Association, retrieved 21 October 2017
- Dianne Cook, Professor, Monash University, retrieved 21 October 2017
- "Dianne Cook", Emeritus Faculty, Iowa State University Department of Statistics, archived from the original on 20 October 2017, retrieved 21 October 2017
- Cook, Di. "Di Cook". dicook.org. Retrieved 24 August 2020.
- Visiphilia: The love of plotting data (shared blog with Heike Hofmann)
- Buja, Andreas; Cook, Dianne; Swayne, Deborah F. (1996). "Interactive High-Dimensional Data Visualization". Journal of Computational and Graphical Statistics. 5 (1): 78–99. doi:10.1080/10618600.1996.10474696. ISSN 1061-8600.
- Curriculum vitae (PDF), 2016, archived from the original (PDF) on 19 October 2016, retrieved 21 October 2017
- Reviews of Interactive and Dynamic Graphics for Data Analysis: John W. Emerson (November 2008), Biometrics 64 (4): 1301–1303, doi:10.1111/j.1541-0420.2008.01138_4.x, JSTOR 25502220; John H. Maindonald (December 2008), International Statistical Review 76 (3): 437–438, doi:10.1111/j.1751-5823.2008.00062_2.x; Eugenia Stoimenova (2009), Statistical Methods in Medical Research 18 (2): 223–224, doi:10.1177/0962280209104777; Pedro M. Valero-Mora (2009), Journal of Statistical Software 30, Book Review 7, doi:10.18637/jss.v030.b07.