A diaper bag or nappy bag is a storage bag with many pocket-like spaces that is big enough to carry everything needed by someone taking care of a baby while taking a typical short outing.
These bags are not always designed expressly as a diaper bag, as any well-pocketed bag sized in between a child's school backpack and adult pro-camping backpack can be used for the purpose. Some are now being made with rigid handles and wheels so that someone can cart one around, allowing that person to hold the baby more firmly, complete more tasks (like opening a door, paying a cashier, or using a phone), and reduce lower back pain. My Child magazine suggests a brightly colored diaper bag is harder to lose and can help combat the "baby blues".[full citation needed]
In recent years, there has been an "explosion of styles, colors, designs, and functions." Diaper bags have helped fashion designers make their mark. Since 2005, some premium designers such as Kate Spade, Coach and Ralph Lauren have launched expensive diaper bag designs. According to Fortune in 2006, "To gain an edge, smart manufacturers are doing whatever it takes to capture the attention (and aesthetics) of today's chic parents-to-be who are willing - sometimes even eager - to pay top dollar for products that seamlessly blend fashion and function." Luxury diaper bags continue to be sold as of 2021.
Designers can be protective of their diaper bag designs and trademarks. In 1977, diaper bags were the cause of a New York court case between Macy's and Gucci. The court found that Macy's had infringed on Gucci's trademark by selling diaper bags with green and red bands and the wording "Gucchi Goo."
Designs without bright colors or licensed characters can be high-fashion items associated with celebrity mothers. Companies also produce diaper bags with a more rugged look, as part of a growing sector of the baby-products market designed to appeal to men.
- "My Child magazine". Retrieved 10 March 2008.
- Tien, Ellen (3 September 2000). "Pulse; Diaper Bags, Downsized". The New York Times. Archived from the original on 27 May 2015. Retrieved 10 March 2008.
- "Diaper bags". Yonkers, New York, U.S.: Consumer Reports. April 2007. Archived from the original on 6 March 2008. Retrieved 10 March 2008.
- Matthew, Boyle (19 April 2006). "The $5 million diaper bag". Fortune. New York City, New York, U.S. Retrieved 11 March 2008.
- "Top 10 Designer Diaper Bags : including Hermes, Chanel and Versace". Luxe Front. 2 December 2021. Archived from the original on 3 December 2021. Retrieved 2 December 2021.
- Gucci Shops, Inc. v. R.H. Macy & Co., 446 F. Supp. 838 839 (S.D.N.Y. 21 September 1977).
- Walker, Rob (24 July 2005). "Sophisticated Baby". The New York Times. Archived from the original on 29 May 2015. Retrieved 10 March 2008.
- Stephanie, Rosenbloom (16 August 2007). "My Dad, American Inventor". The New York Times. Archived from the original on 5 June 2015. Retrieved 10 March 2008.