||Look up diaphragm in Wiktionary, the free dictionary.
Diaphragm (Ancient Greek: διάφραγμα, translit. diáphragma, lit. 'through fence') may refer to any of the following:
Optics and photography
- Diaphragm (optics), a stop in the light path of a lens, having an aperture that regulates the amount of light that passes
- Diaphragm shutter, a type of leaf shutter consisting of a number of thin blades in a camera
- Diaphragm (contraceptive), a small rubber dome placed in the vagina to wall off the cervix, thus preventing sperm from entering
- Diaphragm (mechanical device), a sheet of a semi-flexible material anchored at its periphery
- Diaphragm seal, a membrane that seals an enclosure
- Diaphragm pump, a type of pump
- Diaphragm arch, a type of arch
- Diaphragm wall, a type of wall
- Diaphragm valve, a type of valve
- Diaphragm (structural system), a structural engineering system used to resist lateral loads
- Diaphragm, another name for a separator in electrochemical systems.
- Diaphragma a genus of algae.
- Diaphragm, an accordionlike device enclosing a gangway connection between two railway coaches/cars