Diary of Our Days at the Breakwater
|Diary of Our Days at the Breakwater|
(Hōkago Teibō Nisshi)
|Genre||Sports (Recreational fishing)|
|Written by||Yasuyuki Kosaka|
|Published by||Akita Shoten|
|Magazine||Young Champion Retsu|
|Original run||February 2017 – present|
|Anime television series|
|Directed by||Takaharu Okuma|
|Written by||Fumihiko Shimo|
|Music by||Miki Sakurai|
|Original network||AT-X, Tokyo MX, MBS, BS11, RKK|
|Original run||April 7, 2020 – September 22, 2020|
Diary of Our Days at the Breakwater (放課後ていぼう日誌, Hōkago Teibō Nisshi, lit. "Afterschool Embankment Journal") is a Japanese manga series about recreational fishing by Yasuyuki Kosaka. It has been serialized in Akita Shoten's seinen manga magazine Young Champion Retsu since February 2017 and has been collected in six tankōbon volumes. An anime television series adaptation by Doga Kobo aired from April 7 to September 22, 2020.
- Hina Tsurugi (鶴木陽渚, Tsurugi Hina)
- Voiced by: Kanon Takao (Japanese); Megan Harvey (English)
- Hina is the main protagonist who moves with her family from Tokyo back to her home town of Ashikita, Kumamoto, Kyushu. She ends up joining the Breakwater Club at her new school.
- Natsumi Hodaka (帆高夏海, Hodaka Natsumi)
- Voiced by: Natsumi Kawaida (Japanese); G. K. Bowes (English)
- Hina's childhood friend, whom Hina had nearly forgotten, she is a first-year like Hina and also a new member of the Breakwater Club. She is passionate about fishing, and has been fishing since elementary school.
- Yūki Kuroiwa (黒岩悠希, Kuroiwa Yūki)
- Voiced by: Yū Sasahara (Japanese); Jay D. Stone (English)
- An older girl who convinces Hina to join the Breakwater Club at their school, of which she is the president. She is a third-year.
- Makoto Ohno (大野真, Ōno Makoto)
- Voiced by: Satomi Akesaka (Japanese); Lauren Landa (English)
- A second-year in the Breakwater Club, she is quite knowledgeable and reliable. She is a tall girl who wears glasses and always fishes with a lifejacket.
- Sayaka Kotani (小谷さやか, Kotani Sayaka)
- Voiced by: Ami Koshimizu
- The school nurse and the faculty adviser of the Breakwater Club.
The manga is written and illustrated by Yasuyuki Kosaka, and began serialization in Akita Shoten's Young Champion Retsu magazine in February 2017. It has been compiled into six tankōbon volumes as of March 2020. In July 2020, it was announced that the manga would go on hiatus due to heavy flooding in Kosaka's home of Kyushu; the series resumed serialization shortly afterward. In November 2020, it was announced it will go on a hiatus again at a later date.
The 12-episode anime television series adaptation was announced in the fifth issue of Young Champion Retsu magazine on April 16, 2019. The series is animated by Doga Kobo and directed by Takaharu Okuma, with Fumihiko Shimo handling series composition, Katsuhiro Kumagai designing the characters, and Miki Sakurai composing the music. It aired from April 7 to September 22, 2020. On April 15, 2020, it was announced that episode 4 and onward were delayed until further notice due to the effects of the COVID-19 pandemic. On June 1, 2020, it was announced that the anime series would resume on July 7, 2020 from the first episode, with the fourth episode airing on July 28, 2020.
|No.||Title||Original air date|
Transcription: "Teibō-bu" (Japanese: ていぼう部)
|April 7, 2020|
|Having just moved back to Ashikita, Hina Tsurugi explores the seaside town and helps the Breakwater Club president Yuki Kuroiwa untangle a fishing line. Yuki hands Hina a line for her to try fishing herself and she catches an octopus that lands on her legs. Afraid of the sea creatures there, Yuki coerces Hina into joining the Breakwater Club to get the octopus off her. The next day, Hina begins her high school life at Umino High School intending to ditch the Breakwater Club to join the Handicrafts Club. However, when Hina finds that her childhood neighbor Natsumi Hodaka is joining the Breakwater Club, she could not bring herself to drop out. Hina gives fishing a try and decides she likes it enough to stay with the club for the time being.|
|2||"Reels and Casting"|
Transcription: "Rīru to Kyasutingu" (Japanese: リールとキャスティング)
|April 14, 2020|
|Hina brings home some of the fish the club caught, and her father tells her that he was a member of the Breakwater Club during his high school days. The next day, Hina tires herself out with the tests in physical education and laments on how far away the clubroom is from the school due to her physical ineptitude. At the club room, Hina and Natsumi are tasked by Yuki with untangling some fishing lines per club ritual, which Makoto Ohno later tells them is not a ritual. Hina spends the afternoon learning the basics of fishing from Yuki and Makoto. Hina struggles with casting often hitting Natsumi with the hook. After an exhausting day of fishing, the other girls encourage her to keep trying.|
Transcription: "Magochi" (Japanese: マゴチ)
|April 21, 2020|
|After Hina does some research on flatheads, the club goes to Kamegahama beach to fish for flatheads. Hina and Yuki fish together in one spot while Natsumi and Makoto fish at another. Hina struggles as she catches nothing but seaweed. Yuki teaches Hina how to move the lure to get a flathead to chase it, and after some more attempts, Hina hooks a flatfish. Hina struggles with reeling it in nearly falling into the ocean, but with help from Yuki and Makoto she catches it. That night, Hina is tasked with cutting the flathead since she caught it, and after struggling, she goes through with it. Makoto fillets and cooks the fish for dinner.|
Transcription: "Egingu" (Japanese: エギング)
|July 28, 2020|
|With Hina needing to buy a fishing hat and jacket, the club heads out to a fishing supply store. Hina finds a jacket she likes on sale after an extensive search, while the club buys her a hat. The next day, Hina ties some fishing line and the club goes fishing for squid. After Natsumi struggles with losing a lure and Hina has trouble attracting the squid to her lure, Makoto catches it. The squid squirts out ink, but Hina's jacket protects her from it. The club cooks the squid for dinner that night.|
|5||"Clamming and an Advisor"|
Transcription: "Shiohigari to Komon" (Japanese: 潮干狩りと顧問)
|August 4, 2020|
|With the tide low, the club goes digging for clams. Hina is initially reluctant to dig because she is afraid of getting covered in mud, but after Natsumi teases her causing her to stumble, she becomes used to the mud and begins digging. Afterwards, the club advisor, the school nurse Sayaka Kotani, drops by and Yuki and Makoto desperately try to hide the clams from her, but fail. The two upperclassmen explain that Sayaka is not interested in fishing at all and is only the club's advisor to drink beer and eat some of their seafood for free.|
Transcription: "Ajigo" (Japanese: アジゴ)
|August 11, 2020|
|Sayaka drops by asking the club to catch horse mackerels. The club shops at the local fishing supply store to buy some lines. The club fishes for two hours catching a lot of mackerels. Afterwards, Hina is tasked with removing the gills from the fish causing her to freak out, but she manages to do it. During the weekend, Hina goes fishing on her own using her grandfather's old fishing equipment to catch mackerels, but has a hard time catching any. Hina calls Natsumi for help, and Natsumi points out that she is using hooks that are too big for catching mackerels. Together, they are successful in catching a haul of mackerels.|
|7||"Light Rock Fishing"|
Transcription: "Anazuri" (Japanese: 穴釣り)
|August 18, 2020|
|Hina goes light rock fishing and taking Makoto's advice to angle on the rocks right next to the wall, she catches a scorpionfish. She struggles with unhooking it due to the fish's spiny body, but is helped by Natsumi. With midterms coming up, Hina goes over to Natsumi's house where she meets her mother, who runs a Western-style restaurant, for the first time since moving back to Ashikita. The two spend all day studying, and Natsumi is fascinated by her felt horse mackerel plush that she knitted.|
Transcription: "Tenagaebi" (Japanese: 穴テナガエビ)
|August 25, 2020|
|On a rainy day, the club convenes in the nurse's office where they retrieve some fishing equipment stored away. The club obtains a fishing permit to allow them to fish for freshwater prawns at a nearby river underneath a bridge. Hina struggles to catch prawns as she has a hard time timing her reel correctly. After getting some advice, she begins to catch them. The next day after allowing some time for the prawns to expel the dirt, the Hina and Makoto cooks the prawns for the club and Sayaka to eat.|
|9||"Preparations and Herons"|
Transcription: "Sonae to Aosagi" (Japanese: 備えとアオサギ)
|September 1, 2020|
|Sayaka holds a training session at the school swimming pool for the club to learn how to stay afloat should they fall into the water while fishing. The club jumps into the pool with their clothes on and use special flotation devices unaware that they are for single use only. The club then goes fishing for rockfish, and Hina catches some rockfishes that get snatched up by a heron. Hina notices that the heron's leg is tangled in fishing line prompting her to think of a way to get it off. The next day, the club lures the heron into a trap to hold it still so that they can remove the line from the heron's leg.|
Transcription: "Nobesao" (Japanese: のべ竿)
|September 8, 2020|
|The club goes fishing using bobs and fishing rods without reels. The club struggles while Hina catches only small fish leading leading her to be discouraged. But at sunset, Hina catches a big horse mackerel. That night after the club catches a big haul of mackerels, Makoto teaches Hina how to fillet a fish, which freaks her out. Hina's first attempt at filleting does not go well, which Makoto turns into a sashimi salad, while improving with her subsequent attempts. The filleted fishes are stored in the refrigerator to dry out, and on the next day the club cooks the fish on a grill provided by Sayaka.|
Transcription: "Kisu" (Japanese: キス)
|September 15, 2020|
|Hina catches a pinspotted spinefoot, a poisonous fish that Makoto prepares for the club to eat. That night, Hina's mother cooks some whiting the neighbors gave her inspiring Hina to go fishing for whiting. While shopping for supplies, Hina is terrified by the ragworms the club is using to catch whiting, but the store manager shows her some artificial bait that she uses instead. The club fishes for whiting from the beach, and while Natsumi, Yuki, and Makoto have success, Hina struggles. She then realizes that the same techniques the others are using are not effective artificial bait. That night, Hina goes home to research how to fish using artificial bait determined to catch some whiting the next day.|
|12||"From Now On..."|
Transcription: "Korekara..." (Japanese: これから...)
|September 22, 2020|
|Hina tries again to catch whiting after finding out that the bait needs to wiggle, but continues to struggle. She then realizes that the hook is too far up the bait, and after making that adjustment she finally catches a whiting. Sometime later, Natsumi comes over to Hina's house and Hina helps her make a felt fish plushie. The next day, Hina teaches Yuki and Makoto how to make a felt plushie. Hina then reveals the real reason she did not join the Handicrafts Club is because she was surprised to find out that all the members are boys. Hina lets the club know that she is having fun with the club and that she was glad to join.|
- "Hōkago Teibō Nisshi Fishing Anime's Promo Unveils Main Cast". Anime News Network. December 27, 2019. Retrieved December 27, 2019.
- Mateo, Alex (March 10, 2021). "Funimation Streams Shironeko Project Zero Chronicle, Diary of Our Days at the Breakwater Anime's English Dubs". Anime News Network. Retrieved March 10, 2021.
- "Staff & Cast". TV Anime Hōkago Teibō Nisshi Kōshiki Site.
- "Yasuyuki Kosaka's Hōkago Teibō Nisshi Fishing Manga Gets TV Anime". Anime News Network. April 15, 2019. Retrieved April 16, 2019.
- "放課後ていぼう日誌" (in Japanese). Akita Shoten. Retrieved August 15, 2020.
- "Diary of Our Days at the Breakwater Manga Goes on Hiatus Due to Flooding in Creator's Area". Anime News Network. July 6, 2020. Retrieved November 5, 2020.
- "『放課後ていぼう日誌』出演声優に高尾奏音さん・川井田夏海さん・篠原侑さん・明坂聡美さん！ PV公開、「釣りフェスティバル2020」情報も到着" (in Japanese). Animate Times. Retrieved March 6, 2019.
- "Hōkago Teibō Nisshi Fishing Anime Reveals Staff, Visual, April 2020 Debut". Anime News Network. October 14, 2019. Retrieved October 14, 2019.
- "Diary of Our Days at the Breakwater Anime Delayed Due to COVID-19 Coronavirus Pandemic". Anime News Network. April 14, 2020. Retrieved April 15, 2020.
- "Diary of Our Days at the Breakwater Anime Restarts on July 7 After COVID-19 Delay". Anime News Network. June 1, 2020. Retrieved July 7, 2020.
- "Diary of Our Days at the Breakwater Manga Goes on Hiatus Due to Flooding in Creator's Area". Anime News Network. July 6, 2020. Retrieved July 7, 2020.
- "STORY / TVアニメ「放課後ていぼう日誌」公式サイト" (in Japanese). Retrieved April 7, 2020.