Diary of a Future President
|Diary of a Future President|
|Created by||Ilana Peña|
|Opening theme||"My Journey: Lo Puedo Lograr" by Emily Estefan|
|Country of origin||United States|
|No. of seasons||1|
|No. of episodes||1 (list of episodes)|
|Production location(s)||Los Angeles|
|Running time||30 minutes|
|Distributor||Disney Media Distribution|
|Original release||January 17, 2020 –|
Diary of a Future President is an American comedy web television series created by Ilana Peña which premiered on Disney+ on January 17, 2020. Gina Rodriguez serves as an executive producer through her company I Can & I Will Productions, which produces the series in association with CBS Television Studios. Robin Shorr and Brad Silberling serve as the series showrunners alongside additional executive producers Peña and Emily Gipson.
Told through a collection of voice-overs by central character Elena as she reads from her diary, the series centers on the 12-year-old Cuban American girl, who attends middle school as she aspires to be the future president of the United States. The series stars Tess Romero, Charlie Bushnell, Selenis Leyva and Michael Weaver. Rodriguez also stars as through flashforwards as the adult version of Elena, as she undertakes her presidential campaign in the future.
Elena is a 12-year-old Cuban American girl who attends middle school and must make her way through the personal and social pressures of adolescence. Told through Elena's narration as written in her diary, the series follows the daily events of her life and her interactions with friends and family. She lives with her older brother, Bobby; and mother, Gabi, who develops a new relationship with Sam, a lawyer from her firm. Elena has a strong desire to become a president of the United States, which is made visible through flashforwards to her political campaign as an adult.
Cast and characters
- Tess Romero as Elena Cañero-Reed, a confident and strong-willed 12-year-old Cuban American girl with a desire to become a future president of the United States.
- Charlie Bushnell as Bobby Cañero-Reed, Elena's mischievous older brother.
- Selenis Leyva as Gabi Cañero-Reed, Elena's mother who works as a lawyer.
- Michael Weaver as Sam Faber, a lawyer at Gabi's firm who she develops a new relationship with.
- Gina Rodriguez as Future Elena, who is shown through flashforwards to be undertaking a presidential campaign.
- Jessica Marie Garcia as Camila, a paralegal and Gabi's close friend, who is scared to come out to her parents that she has a girlfriend
|No.||Title ||Directed by||Written by||Original release date |
|1||"Hello World"||Gina Rodriguez||Ilana Peña||January 17, 2020|
Before her first address as the President, Elena receives her old middle school diary and starts going through it. In the first entry, she feels betrayed by her former best friend Jessica is now friends with Elena's rival, Melissa. Jessica and Melissa brag about having synchronized period cycles, and make fun of Elena for not being mature enough to have her first period. Later in the bathroom, Elena discovers that Jessica has been lying about having her period. Jessica begs Elena not to tell anyone. Coincidentally, Elena gets her first period that day. Despite everything Jessica did to her, Elena decides not to reveal her secret.
Meanwhile, Elena's mother, Gabi is not ready to tell her children that she is dating Sam. When Camila advises her to tell them, Gabi changes the subject by pointing out that Camila hasn't come out yet to her parents. However, Gabi's secret is exposed when Bobby and Elena find her kissing Sam.Guest stars: Carmina Garay as Sasha, Sanai Victoria as Melissa, Jessica Marie Garcia as Camila, Aisha Tyler as Alicia
|2||"The New Deal"||TBA||TBA||January 24, 2020|
On January 31, 2019, it was announced that Disney+ had ordered a ten episode first season of a new single-camera comedy, which was originally titled Diary of a Female President. It was reported that the series was created by Ilana Peña, who would also serve as an executive producer alongisde Gina Rodriguez and Emily Gipson. Robin Shorr was expected to be involved as the showrunner. The series is produced by Rodriguez's company I Can & I Will Productions in association with CBS Television Studios, who sold the series to Disney. CBS chief creative officer David Nevins stated that the series was considered to air on The CW, but that it was more ultimately more suitable for the target audience of Disney+. The program was the first scripted series produced by an external studio to be ordered by Disney+. In December 2019, it was revealed that the program's titled had changed to Diary of a Future President. Brad Silberling was announced as an additional showrunner.
The series represents a Latino family, with Elena being referred to as Cuban American in character descriptions. Rodriguez stated that she established her production company in an effort to express stories "for and by the underrepresented". The series has been stated to be inspired by Peña's own childhood.
In July 2019, executive producer Rodriguez was announced to be playing the adult version of Elena, who appears in flashforwards as she undertakes her political campaign. Rodriguez was also revealed to be directing the first episode of the series. It was also announced that Tess Romero and Charlie Bushnell would be playing siblings Elena and Bobby respectively, while Selenis Leyva was cast as their mother, Gabi; and Michael Weaver as her love interest, Sam.
The first episode was released on the streaming service Disney+, in the United States and internationally on January 17, 2020, in 4K HDR. Further episodes will be released weekly on the service, being distributed every Friday.
The first poster was released on December 16, 2019, alongside details of the first two episodes. The first trailer for the series was released on January 6, 2020, with an additional poster also revealed.
- "Production Begins on Disney+ Original Series Diary of a Female President from Executive Producer Gina Rodriguez and CBS Television Studios". Disney Direct-to-Consumer & International Media Center. Retrieved December 17, 2019.
- Goldberg, Lesley (January 31, 2019). "Diary of a Female President Comedy From Gina Rodriguez Ordered to Series at Disney+". The Hollywood Reporter. Billboard-Hollywood Reporter Media Group. Retrieved January 31, 2019.
- "Gina Rodriguez Series Diary of a Future President on Disney+ Jan. 17". Broadcasting & Cable. Future US. December 16, 2019. Retrieved December 17, 2019.
- Andreeva, Nellie; Petski, Denise (January 31, 2019). "Disney+ Orders Diary Of A Female President Series From Ilana Peña, Gina Rodriguez & CBS TV Studios". Deadline Hollywood. Penske Media Corporation. Retrieved January 31, 2019.
- "Disney+ Begins Production on Diary of a Female President". BroadwayWorld. July 11, 2019. Retrieved December 17, 2019.
- "Gina Rodriguez to Play Latina President of the United States in Disney Series". HipLatina. July 15, 2019. Retrieved December 17, 2019.
- "Jessica Marie Garcia never thought that working with Gina Rodriguez would be possible". gotechdaily.com. January 17, 2020. Retrieved January 17, 2020.
- "Diary of a Future President – Media Kit". Disney Direct-to-Consumer & International Media Center. Retrieved December 17, 2019.
- "Shows A-Z - diary of a future president on disney plus". The Futon Critic. Retrieved January 2, 2020.
- Otterson, Joe (January 31, 2019). "Disney+ Orders Diary of a Female President With Gina Rodriguez Producing". Variety. Variety Media, LLC. Retrieved January 31, 2019.
- Baysinger, Tim (September 12, 2019). "Why the CBS-Produced Gina Rodriguez POTUS Series Diary of a Female President Landed at Disney+ Instead of The CW". TheWrap. The Wrap News Inc. Retrieved December 17, 2019.
- Ridgely, Charlie (December 16, 2019). "Disney+ Reveals Poster and Release Date for Next Original Series". ComicBook.com. Retrieved December 17, 2019.
- "Disney+ to Premiere Diary of a Future President on January 17". BroadwayWorld. December 16, 2019. Retrieved December 17, 2019.
- Pederson, Erik (July 11, 2019). "Diary Of A Female President: EP Gina Rodriguez To Recur As POTUS In Disney+ Series; Main Cast Set". Deadline. Penske Media Corporation. Retrieved December 17, 2019.
- "Exclusive: Disney+ Series Diary of a Female President Films June to September in Los Angeles; Gina Rodriguez Will Direct". Geeks WorldWide. April 7, 2019. Retrieved December 17, 2019.
- "Episode 101 - "Hello World"". Disney Direct-to-Consumer & International. Disney. Retrieved December 16, 2019.
- "Episode 102 - "The New Deal"". Disney Direct-to-Consumer & International. Disney. Retrieved December 16, 2019.
- Swift, Andy (January 6, 2020). "Diary of a Future President Trailer Introduces Gina Rodriguez as POTUS". TVLine. TVLine Media, LLC. Retrieved January 7, 2020.
- "Diary of a Future President: Season 1 (2020)". Rotten Tomatoes. Retrieved January 17, 2020.