Diary of a Wimpy Kid: The Third Wheel
|Series||Diary of a Wimpy Kid|
|Genre||Child, Young Adult|
|November 13, 2012|
|Media type||Print (paperback, hardcover)|
|Preceded by||Cabin Fever|
|Followed by||Hard Luck|
Diary of a Wimpy Kid: The Third Wheel is a 2012 bestselling children's novel and the seventh book in the Diary of a Wimpy Kid series, written by American author Jeff Kinney. Kinney announced the book in March 2012, with The Third Wheel's cover revealed in May 2012. The book was released on November 13, 2012.
After talking about what his life was like from before he was born to his preschool years, Greg explains some of the parenting methods his mother has tried on Manny and how Manny has been affected by those methods, which are different from what Greg's was. Then, Abigail Brown, who is alone after her boyfriend, Michael Sampson, had a family obligation. Greg asks Rowley to ask Abigail to go with them as a group of friends; she agrees. Greg's idea is to use Rowley to get him a girlfriend, so he can go on a date with her.
At the dance, their night is ruined when senior citizens overrun their dance, claiming they reserved the dance area first, but they compromise things that ruin the theme, such as lights, no more music and a partition severing half the gym. Michael Sampson even arrives with Cherie Bellanger. Michael was supposed to go with Abigail, and he may have lied, and neither Abigail nor Michael probably expected each other to be at the dance. Finally, while dancing with Abigail, Greg spots what looks like chicken pox marks on her face. It only turns out she had pimples when she was crying over Michael, but Greg panics, leaving Abigail crying and Rowley comforting her.
The book ends with Uncle Gary winning $40,000 and paying Dad with the money, and moves out of the house. Rowley and Abigail are dating, and Greg gets the chicken pox. Greg is finally able to take baths and be by himself in the bathroom, but he now starts to think if he is really alone, when a fresh towel near the tub disappears.
- "Wall Street Journal Best-Sellers". SF Gate. Retrieved 25 November 2012.
- "Cover Reveal: 'Diary of a Wimpy Kid: The Third Wheel'". Publishers Weekly. Retrieved 25 November 2012.
- "'Diary of a Wimpy Kid' author Jeff Kinney". Cambridge News. Retrieved 25 November 2012.
- "Wimpy Kid Author Jeff Kinney Talks About his Inspirations, the Road to Fame, and the Quest for the Perfect Shade of Brown". School Library Journal. Retrieved 25 November 2012.
- "'The Third Wheel' the latest in 'Diary of a Wimpy Kid' series".
- "Review: The Third Wheel". Publishers Weekly. Retrieved 25 November 2012.
|This article about a children's novel is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
See guidelines for writing about novels. Further suggestions might be found on the article's talk page.