Diary of a Wimpy Kid (book series)
The logo of the series, appearing on the book covers, blogs, web comic, and the films.
Diary of a Wimpy Kid
Diary of a Wimpy Kid: Rodrick Rules
Diary of a Wimpy Kid: The Last Straw
Diary of a Wimpy Kid: Dog Days
Diary of a Wimpy Kid: The Ugly Truth
Diary of a Wimpy Kid: Cabin Fever
Diary of a Wimpy Kid: The Third Wheel
Diary of a Wimpy Kid: Hard Luck
Diary of a Wimpy Kid: The Long Haul
Diary of a Wimpy Kid: Old School
Diary of a Wimpy Kid: Double Down
Diary of a Wimpy Kid: The Getaway
Diary of a Wimpy Kid: The Meltdown
|Publisher||Scholastic Publishing / Amulet Books / Puffin Books|
|Published||April 1, 2007 – present|
Print (hardback & paperback)|
Diary of a Wimpy Kid is a series of fiction books written by the American author and cartoonist Jeff Kinney. All the main books are the journals of the main character, Greg Heffley. Befitting a teen's diary, the books are filled with hand-written notes and simple drawings of Greg's daily adventures.
Since the release of the online version in May 2004, most of the books have garnered positive reviews and commercial success. As of February 2008[update], it had been purchased one million times.
The website Poptropica released islands in the theme of Diary of a Wimpy Kid called Wimpy Wonderland and Wimpy Boardwalk, both of which credit Kinney in an ambiguous contributor's role.
In January 1998, Diary of a Wimpy Kid officially began, when Kinney brought up an idea about a middle-school weakling named Greg Heffley, who wrote about his personal life. In May 2004, FunBrain and Kinney released an online version of Diary of a Wimpy Kid. The website made daily entries until June 2005. He worked on his book for almost eight years, before showing it to a publisher in New York.
The book became an instant hit, and the online version received about 20 million views as of 2009. Nonetheless, many online readers requested a printed version; Kinney agreed, and in April 2007, Diary of a Wimpy Kid was published. To date, twelve Wimpy Kid books have been released, plus one do-it-yourself book and two movie diaries. In April 2009, TIME named Kinney one of The World's Most Influential People.
|1||Diary of a Wimpy Kid||April 1, 2007||ISBN 978-0-8109-9313-6|
|The introduction to the series introduces the protagonist, Greg Heffley, his best friend Rowley, his middle school problems, Halloween, and the Cheese Touch.|
|2||Rodrick Rules||February 1, 2008||ISBN 978-0-8109-9473-7|
|Greg must stop Rodrick from revealing the secrets that had happened last summer.|
|3||The Last Straw||January 13, 2009||ISBN 978-0-8109-7068-7|
|When Greg's father threatens to send Greg to a military academy, Greg must find a way to prevent this from happening.|
|4||Dog Days||October 12, 2009||ISBN 978-0-8109-8391-5|
|Summer is here, but when the family has not that much money to go to the beach (money is tight at that time), it might not be the best summer ever.|
|5||The Ugly Truth||November 9, 2010||ISBN 978-0-8109-8491-2|
|Greg is growing up, and he will have to face the challenges of this period (like changing dentists, and a school lock-in).|
|6||Cabin Fever||November 15, 2011||ISBN 978-1-4197-0223-5|
|The family is stranded in the house as snow begins to fall.|
|7||The Third Wheel||November 13, 2012||ISBN 978-1-4197-0584-7|
|The Valentine's Day dance is coming up, and Greg has no one go with. But when Michael Sampson (Abigail's date) will not be going, things turn around.|
|8||Hard Luck||November 5, 2013||ISBN 978-1-4197-1132-9|
|Greg's friend count is dropping as Rowley now has a girlfriend, named Abigail (continuing the last book).|
|9||The Long Haul||November 4, 2014||ISBN 978-1-4197-1189-3|
|This is the family's second summer trip, but instead, it's a road trip. But with the Heffleys, you know what to expect from this disaster.|
|10||Old School||November 3, 2015||ISBN 978-1-4197-1701-7|
|The neighborhood is going to cut electricity for the weekend, and as the family's car has a fender bender, it forces Greg to go to the farm trip. Will Greg survive the electricity-free days?|
|11||Double Down||November 1, 2016||ISBN 978-1-4197-2344-5|
|Greg's mom wants him to do something else than video games, so he makes a movie in collaboration with Rowley and joins the music program.|
|12||The Getaway||November 7, 2017||ISBN 978-1-4197-2545-6|
|Instead of celebrating the holidays at home, Greg and his family head on a tropical vacation to a resort. But what first starts as an relaxing trip, later turns into a Christmas nightmare. Will Greg be able to turn this vacation around?|
|13||The Meltdown||October 30, 2018||ISBN 978-1-4197-2743-6|
|When a wintry blast closes Greg Heffley’s middle school, it turns his neighborhood into a battleground, complete with snow forts, alliances, betrayals, and epic snowball fights.|
- Diary of a Wimpy Kid Do-It-Yourself Book (published between Rodrick Rules and The Last Straw) is an activity book that features a blank section encouraging readers to keep their own journal in the style of the books.
- The Wimpy Kid Do-It-Yourself Book: Extended Edition (published after Wimpy Kid Movie Diary 2 and before Cabin Fever) is the same book as the first Do-It-Yourself Book, but with extra 60 pages and 16 more full-color comics.
- The Wimpy Kid Movie Diary is a book about the making of the first film, which features stills and brand-new illustrations. Jeff Kinney dedicated the book to the film's main stars, Zachary Gordon and Robert Capron.
- The Wimpy Kid Movie Diary 2: Rodrick Rules is an updated version of the first book, now featuring stills from the second film Rodrick Rules, more new illustrations, and information on how the second film was made.[verification needed]
- The Wimpy Kid Movie Diary 3: Dog Days is the second updated version of the first book, now adding stills from the third film Dog Days, and information on how this film was made.[verification needed]
- The Wimpy Kid Movie Diary: The Next Chapter covers how the film The Long Haul was made. It is dedicated to Jason Drucker, the actor who played Greg in that movie.
Toys and games
Action figures included a minifigure pack (with Greg, Rowley, and Fregley), a 6-inch Greg Heffley figure, a 6-inch holiday figure based on Cabin Fever, and a Greg and Rodrick plush doll.
Thirteen audiobooks have been released for the Diary of a Wimpy Kid series. The Recorded Books versions are read by Ramon de Ocampo, while the Penguin Books versions are read by Dan Russell, who has done so since The Third Wheel, and in 2018 he re-narrated the first 6 books for the markets where Penguin publish the series.
- Diary of a Wimpy Kid (April 1, 2007)
- Diary of a Wimpy Kid: Rodrick Rules (February 1, 2008)
- Diary of a Wimpy Kid: The Last Straw (January 13, 2009)
- Diary of a Wimpy Kid: Dog Days (October 12, 2009)
- Diary of a Wimpy Kid: The Ugly Truth (November 9, 2010)
- Diary of a Wimpy Kid: Cabin Fever (November 15, 2011)
- Diary of a Wimpy Kid: The Third Wheel (November 13, 2012)
- Diary of a Wimpy Kid: Hard Luck (November 5, 2013)
- Diary of a Wimpy Kid: The Long Haul (November 4, 2014)
- Diary of a Wimpy Kid: Old School (November 3, 2015)
- Diary of a Wimpy Kid: Double Down (November 1, 2016)
- Diary of a Wimpy Kid: The Getaway (November 7, 2017)
- Diary of a Wimpy Kid: The Meltdown (October 30, 2018)
- Greg Heffley is a wimpy student, who is the main character and narrator of the series.
- Rowley Jefferson is Greg's childish best friend.
- Rodrick Heffley is Greg and Manny's older brother, who is rude, and the drummer in his self-titled band, Löded Diper. He usually is noted for playing tricks on Greg.
- Manny Heffley is Greg and Rodrick's spoiled younger brother, who is known to be a tattletale.
- Susan Heffley is Greg's mother. She often embarrasses Greg.
- Frank Heffley is Greg's father. He always wants Greg to do sports and "to become a man," and doesn't like giving up.
- Gramma is Greg's grandmother on his mother's side.
- Fregley is Greg's weird neighbor and classmate.
- Chirag Gupta is one of Greg's friends whom he once played a trick on, pretending Chirag to have been invisible, then later pretended he was going deaf.
- Holly Hills is Greg's crush, who once thought he was "Fregley."
- Heather Hills is Holly's sister, and was Greg and Rodrick's crush.
- Sweetheart otherwise known as Sweetie is the name given to the Heffleys' dog who Greg's dad buys in Dog Days. Later on, they give him to Greg's grandmother who spoils him and when he appears in later books, he is said to be very overweight.
- The Heffleys' Pig was won by Manny in The Long Haul . The pig displays high intelligence, and walks upright in a reference to Animal Farm.
- Abigail Brown is Rowley's girlfriend in The Third Wheel and in Hard Luck for the majority of pages, however it is later revealed that Abigail only did it to make her previous boyfriend feel bad.
- Meemaw is Greg's great-grandmother on his mother's side (only in Hard Luck).
- Gammie is Greg's great-grandmother on his father's side.
- Vice Principal Roy The Vice Principal at Greg's school. He conducts most of the disciplinary action at his school.
- Peepaw is Greg's great grandpa on his mother's side (only in Hard Luck).
Awards and honors
|#1 New York Times Best Seller (114 weeks)||Won|
|2008 Nickelodeon Kids' Choice Awards||Favorite Book|
|2009 Nickelodeon Kids' Choice Awards||Nominated|
|ALA Notable Book||Won|
|2010 Nickelodeon Kids' Choice Awards||Favorite Book|
|2010 Most Favorite Book Around the World|
|2011 Nickelodeon Kids' Choice Awards||Favorite Book|
|2012 Nickelodeon Kids' Choice Awards|
|2013 Nickelodeon Kids' Choice Awards||Nominated|
|2014 Nickelodeon Kids' Choice Awards||Won|
|2015 Nickelodeon Kids' Choice Awards|
|2016 Nickelodeon Kids' Choice Awards|
Diary of a Wimpy Kid was well received from The Princeton Review, Gold Card Association, The Dallas News, The TRR Editors, The NW Press, and The JJ Printing Company. The New York Times, which ranks children's serials collectively on a "Series Books" bestseller list, has included the Wimpy Kid series for 64 weeks as of August 10, 2015. USA Today, which ranks best sellers based on sales alone regardless of genre or intended audience, has listed Diary of a Wimpy Kid in its top 150, peaking at number 8, for 141 weeks as of April 4, 2010.
As of the same date, Rodrick Rules has been on the list for 117 weeks (peaking at number 4), The Last Straw has been on the list for 65 weeks (peaking at number 1), Dog Days has been on the list for all 25 weeks of its publication (peaking at number 1), and The Wimpy Kid Movie Diary has been listed for all three weeks of its publication, peaking at number 2.
This section needs to be updated.(March 2017)
Jeff Kinney announced that a film based on the first book would be produced by 20th Century Fox. The film was released on March 19, 2010, moved up from an April 2 release date. It was directed by Thor Freudenthal, who also directed Hotel for Dogs. The film starred Zachary Gordon as Greg, Robert Capron as Rowley (Greg's best friend), Steve Zahn as Frank (Greg's father), Rachael Harris as Susan (Greg's mother), Devon Bostick as Rodrick (Greg's older brother), Connor and Owen Fielding as Manny (Greg's younger brother), Chloë Grace Moretz as a new character named Angie, and Grayson Russell as Fregley.
There is a second film in the Diary of a Wimpy Kid film series that was released on March 25, 2011, which was based on the second book Rodrick Rules, with Zachary Gordon returning as Greg Heffley. Diary of a Wimpy Kid: Rodrick Rules was also filmed in Vancouver, BC, Canada. The film also contains some scenes from The Last Straw.
The third film combines the third and fourth books The Last Straw and Dog Days, taking stories from both, but mainly from Dog Days, from which it took its title. The decision to blend the two films was made to keep up with the ages of the actors. The film was released on August 3, 2012.
The likelihood of a fourth live action film was slim. Kinney has announced the possibility for an animated film to be based on Diary of a Wimpy Kid: Cabin Fever as the next installment. In an interview for the latest book Hard Luck, Jeff Kinney stated he was working with Fox on a half-hour special of Cabin Fever, which was to be aired in late 2014, but has since been delayed. In September 2016, Jeff Kinney announced officially the production of a fourth film, Diary of a Wimpy Kid: The Long Haul, on his Twitter account.
- Browne, David (March 20, 2011). "All about Jeff Kinney". Parade. Retrieved December 27, 2011.
- "Ten years ago, Jeff Kinney created a new kind of comic hero". The Washington Post. Associated Press. April 26, 2017. Retrieved April 27, 2017.
Abrams Books said the 12th book, coming November 7, will be called “Diary of a Wimpy Kid: The Getaway.”
- Kinney, Jeff (April 2007). Diary of a Wimpy Kid: Greg Heffley's journal. Diary of a Wimpy Kid. Amulet Books. ISBN 0-8109-9313-9.
- ""Diary of a Wimpy Kid (2010)" on". Comingsoon.net. March 19, 2010. Retrieved May 7, 2011.
- "Diary of a Wimpy Kid". FunBrain. Family Education Network. Retrieved March 5, 2011.
- "WIMPY 2 LAST". 3 November 2015. Retrieved 6 March 2016.
- The 2009 TIME 100: Jeff Kinney Time magazine's 2009 list of The World's Most Influential People
- Kinney, Jeff. "The Wimpy Kid Movie Diary: The Next Chapter". Retrieved March 28, 2017.
- Nickelodeon Kids' Choice Awards, Nick.com
- Dixler, Elsa. "The New York Times Best Sellers: Children's Books". The New York Times. Retrieved August 10, 2015.
- "USA Today: Best-Selling Books Database". USA Today. April 21, 2011. Retrieved May 7, 2011.
- "Read the new Diary of a Wimpy Kid: The Getaway before anyone else".
- "Diary of a Wimpy Kid author Jeff Kinney is coming to Bath and tickets are on sale today".
- "THE GETAWAY TAKES OFF ON NOVEMBER 7, 2017".
- "Release Date Revealed for Wimpy Kid No. 5". Publishers Weekly. May 20, 2010. Retrieved May 7, 2011.
- Lewis, Andy (June 27, 2011). "Inside 'Diary of a Wimpy Kid's' $500 Million Franchise". The Hollywood Reporter. Retrieved December 3, 2015.
- "Diary of a Wimpy Kid: Rodrick Rules – On Double DVD and Blu-ray Now". Diaryofawimpykidmovie.com. Retrieved May 7, 2011.
- "Diary of a Wimpy Kid (2010)" on IMDb.com
- 'Diary of a Wimpy Kid' Sequel to Bow Next March. Moviefone. Retrieved January 15, 2011.
- "Diary of a Wimpy Kid: Dog Days". ComingSoon.net. CraveOnline. Retrieved August 23, 2011.
- "Hard Luck and Big Dreams: SLJ Chats with "Wimpy Kid" Creator Jeff Kinney". School Library Journal. Retrieved 11 November 2013.
- Minzesheimer, Bob (August 8, 2013). "Narrator hits 'Hard Luck' in eighth Wimpy Kid book". USA Today. Retrieved November 11, 2013.
- Kinney, Jeff (September 13, 2016). "OK, this is really happening! Filming starts next week in Atlanta!". Twitter. Retrieved October 15, 2016.
- "Wimpy Kid #11 to Hit Shelves This November". Publishers Weekly. Retrieved 2017-01-07.