Dicastery for Promoting Integral Human Development
|Established||1 January 2017|
|Merger of||Pontifical Council for Justice and Peace, Pontifical Council Cor Unum, Pontifical Council for the Pastoral Care of Migrants and Itinerant People, Pontifical Council for Health Pastoral Care|
|Michael Czerny, Nicola Riccardi, Segundo Tejado Muñoz, Fabio Baggio, Alessandra Smerilli|
Vatican announced the creation of the dicastery on 31 August 2016 and it became effective 1 January 2017. Cardinal Peter K. A. Turkson was named its first prefect. The Prefect is to be assisted by a Secretary and at least one Undersecretary.
This dicastery of the Roman Curia combined the work of four Pontifical Councils established following the Second Vatican Council: Justice and Peace, Pastoral Care of Migrants and Itinerant People, Pastoral Assistance to Health Care Workers, and Cor Unum. Pope Francis has given it responsibility for "issues regarding migrants, those in need, the sick, the excluded and marginalized, the imprisoned and the unemployed, as well as victims of armed conflict, natural disasters, and all forms of slavery and torture".
On 16 June 2017 the Pope named Bruno Marie Duffé, a French professor with long experience in human rights and relief work, the dicastery's Secretary. Fr. Nicola Riccardi and Msgr. Segundo Tejado Muñoz were named undersecretaries, on 8 July 2017.
Migrants and Refugees Section
The Pope announced that "temporarily" he would personally direct the special Migrants and Refugees Section which is part of the Dicastery. He named the Canadian Jesuit Fr. Michael Czerny (later cardinal) and the Italian Scalabrinian Fr. Fabio Baggio to serve as undersecretaries for issues related to refugees and migrants.
Vatican COVID-19 Commission
On 20 March 2020, Pope Francis asked the Dicastery for Promoting Integral Human Development (DPIHD) to create a Vatican COVID-19 Commission to express the Church's solicitude facing the COVID-19 pandemic, and propose responses to the potential socio-economic challenges deriving from it.
Mission and activities
|Part of a series on the|
From the Statutes of the Dicastery for Promoting Integral Human Development:
The Dicastery promotes integral human development in the light of the Gospel and in the tradition of the Church’s social teachings. To this end, it maintains relations with the Conferences of Bishops, offering them its cooperation so that values related to justice and peace as well as the care of creation may be promoted.
In fulfilling its mission, it may establish relationships with associations, institutes and non-governmental organizations, including those outside the Catholic Church, who are committed to promoting justice and peace. It may also enter into discussion with representatives of civil governments and other international public institutions, in order to promote study, deepen knowledge, and public awareness regarding matters within its competence, while respecting the competencies of other offices of the Roman Curia.
The Dicastery for Promoting Integral Human Development is committed to fostering among peoples: sensitivity for peace, commitment to justice and solidarity with those who are most vulnerable such as migrants and refugees, particularly through the celebrations of the World Day of Peace, the World Day of Migrants, the World Day of the Sick. Its activities include also the presentation of the annual Lenten Message of the Pope.
- McElwee, Joshua J. (31 August 2016). "Francis Creates New Vatican Office for Charity, Justice, Peace, Migration". National Catholic Reporter. Retrieved 31 August 2016.
- Bordoni, Linda (31 August 2016). "Migrants and Refugees at the Heart of Pope's New 'Motu Proprio'". Vatican Radio. Retrieved 31 August 2016.
- Kurian, Anne (16 June 2017). "Développement humain intégral: un Français, le p. Bruno Marie Duffé, secrétaire" [Integral Human Development: French Priest Bruno Marie Duffé, Secretary]. Zenit (in French). Retrieved 16 June 2017.
- Scherer, Steve (31 August 2016). "Pope to Oversee Migration Issues in Shakeup of Vatican Offices". Reuters. Retrieved 26 November 2017.
- O'Connell, Gerard (14 December 2016). "Pope Francis Appoints Jesuit and Scalabrini Priests to New Vatican Department for Refugees and Migrants". America. Retrieved 26 November 2017.
- "We must think of the aftermath of COVID-19 so we are not unprepared". Vatican News.
- "Vatican COVID-19 Commission. A Commission created by the Pope".
- "Statutes of the Dicastery for promoting Integral Human Development (17 August 2016) | Francis". w2.vatican.va. Retrieved 16 October 2018.
- Apostolic Letter Humanam progressionem from the Holy See official website
- Statutes of the Dicastery for Promoting Integral Human Development from the Holy See official website
- Official website
- Official Twitter Account @VaticanIHD
- YouTube Channel Vatican IHD
- Official Website of the Migrants & Refugees Section