Dick's Last Resort
Dick's Last Resort is a small bar and restaurant chain in the United States, known for its intentional employment of an obnoxious staff. The chain consists of seventeen restaurants. The restaurant has its origins in the owners' original opening of a "fine-dining" establishment. The establishment was a failure, which resulted in bankruptcy. Rather than continue with the upscale restaurant motif, the owners retooled their efforts and decided to "go sloppy". The end result was a success, leading to the creation of six additional locations.
Dick's Last Resort teaches its servers to be obnoxious. In addition to the staff, the decor is considered to be "wacky". The restaurant uses picnic-style tables and no tablecloths. Patrons of Dick's are expected to be insulted, or placed in uncomfortable situations. Adult bibs and large, hand-made, paper hats are given to diners to wear during their stay. There are no napkins on the tables: they are generally thrown at the customers by the serving staff.
The menu follows the vulgar thematic with items such as:
Dick's Last Resort hosts "Mardi Gras Madness", an annual Mardi Gras festival, in which donations are collected and given to charities. In 2007, the chain lobbied to make Mardi Gras an official holiday, in an effort to support the city of New Orleans. The donations for that year went to the New Orleans Recreation Department, to replace sports equipment which was wiped out by Hurricane Katrina.
- Edsel Ford Fong, known as the "world's rudest, worst, most insulting waiter"
- The Wieners Circle, a Chicago-based hot dog joint staffed with profanity-spewing workers
- "Key Statistics about Dick's Last Resort". LinkedIn. Retrieved 2009-01-05.
- "Dick's Last Resort". Yahoo! Travel. Retrieved 2009-01-05.
- "Dick's Last Resort". The New York Times Company. Retrieved 2009-01-05.
- "Break for the border reins in wayward restaurant".
- "In Brief: Dublin deal".
- "Dick's Last Resort". Citysearch.com. Retrieved 2009-01-05.
- Helmick, Jamie. "Dick's Last Resort Review". VEGAS.com. Retrieved 2009-01-05.
- Conn, Kristal. "DICK'S LAST RESORT". The Daily Aztec. Retrieved 2009-01-05.
- "Editorial Review for Dick's Last Resort – by Citysearch Editors". Citysearch.com. Retrieved 2009-01-05.
- "Bucket's 'O Grub". dickslastresort.com. Retrieved 2009-01-05.
- "Mardi Gras Madness at Dick's Last Resort (Boston)". Harpoon Brewery. Retrieved 2009-01-05.
- "Mardi Gras Madness At Dick's Last Resort". EWORLDWIRE. Retrieved 2009-01-05.
- Morrill, Hilda M. "The Scene In and Around Boston . . .". PRNewswire. Retrieved 2009-01-05.