Dick Allen (poet)
Richard Stanley Allen|
August 8, 1939
Troy, New York
December 26, 2017 (aged 78)|
|Occupation||Poet, literary critic|
|Notable awards||Robert Frost Prize|
Richard Stanley Allen (August 8, 1939 – December 26, 2017) was an American poet, literary critic and academic.
The son of Richard Sanders Allen, a writer and historian, and Doris (née Bishop), a postmaster, Allen was educated at the College of Liberal Arts at Syracuse University (A.B. 1961), then at the Brown University graduate school (M.A. 1964), and subsequently undertook two years of post-Masters work. Having been a teaching assistant at Brown whilst studying, he went on to teach creative writing and English literature at Wright State University from 1964-8, then the University of Bridgeport. When he retired, he was the Charles A. Dana Endowed Chair Professor at the University of Bridgeport.
From July 1, 2010, through June 30, 2015, he served as Connecticut's poet laureate. He was co-editor of several anthologies of science fiction and science fiction criticism, and his book, Overnight in the Guest House of the Mystic, was a finalist for the 1984 National Book Critics Circle Award for Poetry. He was one of the founders of the Expansive Poetry movement. His influences included Ralph Waldo Emerson, A.E. Housman, Ben Jonson, Robert Frost
His poems appeared in many journals, including Poetry, The Atlantic Monthly, The New Republic, The New Yorker, The American Poetry Review, Ploughshares, The Kenyon Review, The Hudson Review, The Massachusetts Review, The Yale Review, Boulevard, The Gettysburg Review, JuxtaProse Literary Magazine, and The New Criterion. Allen died on December 26, 2017 after a heart attack.
- Zen Master Poems (Wisdom Publications, 2016)
- This Shadowy Place (St. Augustines Press, 2014)
- Present Vanishing (Sarabande Books, 2008)
- The Day Before: New Poems (Sarabande Books, 2003)
- Ode to the Cold War: Poems New and Selected (Sarabande, 1997)
- Flight and Pursuit (Louisiana State University Press)
- Overnight in the Guest House of the Mystic (Louisiana State University Press)
- Regions With No Proper Names (St. Martin's Press)
- Anon and Various Time Machine Poems (Dell)
Awards and recognition
- Finalist, National Book Critics Circle Award for Poetry, Overnight in the Guest House of the Mystic, 1984
- Robert Frost Prize
- Hart Crane Poetry Prize
- Pushcart Prize
- New Criterion Poetry Prize, This Shadowy Place, 2013.
- Poems included in:
- Poetry writing fellowships:
- National Endowment for the Arts
- Ingram Merrill Foundation
- Science Fiction and Fantasy Literature, vol. 2, R. Reginald, 1979, pg 794
- Dick Allen, Space Sonnets segment, Skeltonics for Poets and Others
- "All Past National Book Critics Circle Award Winners and Finalists". National Book Critics Circle. Retrieved March 24, 2016.
- "Dick Allen". Poetry Foundation. Retrieved March 24, 2016.
- Hartford Courant obituary Dick Allen poet
- Dick Allen wins 2013 New Criterion Poetry Prize by Brian P. Kelly - The New Criterion
- Dick Allen's Home Page
- Online biographical sketch
- Essay on "Expansive poetry" by Dick Allen
- "A Day in the Life of Dick Allen", Cortland Review