Richard Arthur Assman
February 14, 1934
Neudorf, Saskatchewan, Canada
|Died||August 15, 2016 (aged 82)|
Regina, Saskatchewan, Canada
|Occupation||Gas station employee|
|Known for||Appearances on the Late Show with David Letterman|
In 1995, Assman moved from working at one Petro-Canada station to another. The station's[which?] owner took out an advertisement in the local newspaper[which?] that was sent anonymously to David Letterman, who was amused by Assman's name. Assman was introduced on July 24, 1995, on the Late Show with David Letterman, where he was a nightly feature for about a month. During this time, he was known as "Assman the Gasman".
As his fame grew, Vancouver polling company Angus Reid Public Opinion reported that 49 percent of surveyed Canadians in September 1995 had heard of his name. Assman received a number of contracts for commercial appearances, was asked to run for public office, and received many marriage proposals. He received a request to judge a bikini contest in August 1995 for the Janetville Jamboree and Truck Pull in Janetville, Ontario. "Assmania" came to a close in August when Assman visited the Ed Sullivan Theater and was presented with a bouquet of roses by Letterman.
Another Saskatchewan resident surnamed Assman, Dave Assman of Melville, Saskatchewan, earned notoriety in 2019 when he attempted to get a vanity licence plate with his surname on it; when the Saskatchewan Department of Motor Vehicles rejected his request, he had a tailgate-sized replica of an "ASSMAN" licence plate painted on the back of his truck. News reports did not indicate how closely (if at all) Dick and Dave Assman were related, but did note both pronounced their names the same way and were of German descent.
- "Dick Assman still chuckles over his David Letterman fame". cbc.ca. May 15, 2015. Retrieved August 19, 2016.
- "What a cheek: The Assman is coming to Ontario". Toronto Star. 4 August 1995. p. A14. Retrieved 3 September 2014.
- on YouTube
- (9 August 1995). Assmania goes on tour, Waterloo Region Record
- (4 August 1995). What a cheek: The Assman is coming to Ontario, Toronto Star
- (28 July 1995). Letterman's Regina pal takes the Late Night ribbing in his stride, Waterloo Region Record
- Luscombe, Belinda. "NEXT: I.P. DALY ON NIGHTLINE", Time, published October 2, 1995, accessed February 8, 2007.
- (21 August 1995). What's in a name? Ask Letterman guest, Free Lance Star (Associated Press)
- (5 October 1995). Ambassador visits Assman, Waterloo Region Record
- "Obituary of Richard Assman". speersfuneralchapel.com. August 15, 2016. Retrieved August 19, 2016.
- Hudes, Sammy (August 19, 2016). "Dick Assman of Letterman fame dies at 82". thestar.com. Retrieved August 19, 2016.