May 11, 1902
|Died||January 3, 1952 (aged 49)|
|Spouse(s)||Ruth Sullivan (1925-1952; his death)|
|Children||John (1929-2004) |
Dick Curtis (born Richard Dye, May 11, 1902 – January 3, 1952) was an American actor who made over 230 film and television appearances during his career.
After having limited work in Hollywood, Curtis acted on stage in New York and toured in a variety of productions from 1926 to 1930.
Standing at 6' 3", Curtis appeared in films stretching from Charles Starrett to The Three Stooges. In most of his films, he played villains or heavies. He made television appearances on The Lone Ranger and The Range Rider. He appeared in California Gold Rush, Spook Town, The Gene Autry Show, and many others.
Though his forte was in villainous roles, Curtis had a genuine comedic touch. As such, modern audiences will recognize Curtis for his roles in such Three Stooges films as Yes, We Have No Bonanza, You Nazty Spy!, and The Three Troubledoers.
With the help of his friend and actor Russell Hayden, Curtis helped develop Pioneertown, a western movie set location in Southern California that was used for many television and film westerns. The project was done in partnership with Roy Rogers and Gene Autry.
Curtis was married to silent-film actress Ruth Sullivan, who survived him.
Curtis died of lung cancer (or brain cancer) on January 3, 1952,[unreliable source?] fifteen days before Curly Howard, and two months before fellow Stooge character actor Eddie Laughton in March. His final appearance with the Stooges was as Shemp Howard's dental patient in The Tooth Will Out.
- Racing Luck (1935)
- Burning Gold (1936)
- Ghost Patrol (1936)
- The Traitor (1936)
- Daniel Boone (1936)
- Counsel for Crime (1937)
- The Gambling Terror (1937)
- The Old Wyoming Trail (1937)
- The Shadow (1937)
- Penitentiary (1938)
- Rawhide (1938)
- The Main Event (1938)
- Adventure in Sahara (1938)
- Flat Foot Stooges (1938)
- North of Shanghai (1939)
- Flying G-Men (1939)
- We Want Our Mummy (1939)
- Mandrake the Magician (1939)
- Yes, We Have No Bonanza (1939)
- Overland with Kit Carson (1939)
- The Man They Could Not Hang (1939)
- Oily to Bed, Oily to Rise (1939)
- The Stranger from Texas (1939)
- You Nazty Spy! (1940)
- Rockin' Thru the Rockies (1940)
- Terry and the Pirates (1940)
- Across the Sierras (1941)
- Two Yanks in Trinidad (1942)
- Higher Than a Kite (1943)
- Salute to the Marines (1943)
- The Phantom (1943)
- Crash Goes the Hash (1944)
- Lady in the Death House (1944)
- Blonde from Brooklyn (1945)
- Song of Arizona (1946)
- Lost City of the Jungle (1946)
- The Three Troubledoers (1946)
- Renegade Girl (1946)
- Wyoming (1947)
- Three Arabian Nuts (1951)
- Don't Throw That Knife (1951)
- The Tooth Will Out (1951)
- Tenkotte, Paul A.; Claypool, James C. (2015). The Encyclopedia of Northern Kentucky. University Press of Kentucky. p. 253. ISBN 9780813159966. Retrieved 11 December 2018.
- Mayer, Geoff (2017). Encyclopedia of American Film Serials. McFarland. p. 85. ISBN 9780786477623. Retrieved 11 December 2018.
- Dick Curtis