Dick Maas in 1988
|Occupation||Film director, screenwriter, film producer, film composer|
Maas achieved fame after the success of his music videos for the Dutch band Golden Earring, including "Twilight Zone" and the controversial "When the Lady Smiles," and his films De Lift, Amsterdamned and Flodder in the 1980s. Maas also directed the controversial Christmas slasher Sint (Saint Nick) and one episode of the TV series Young Indiana Jones. The film Karakter won the Academy Award for Best Foreign Language Film in 1996. Maas served as executive producer. The film was produced by his production company First Floor Features, founded in 1984. He left the company, which he started with Laurens Geels, in 2001.
His 2016 film Prooi became an unexpected box office hit in China cinemas in 2019. It is also the first Dutch film to secure a wide theatrical release in China. The film was retitled as Violent Fierce Lion.
An authorized documentary about his career is in preparation. In May 2019 Dutch producer Jan Doense and director Jeffrey De Vore confirmed that the project was in production with the full cooperation of Maas himself.
Filmography (as director)
- 1982 – "Twilight Zone" - Golden Earring
- 1984 – "Clear Night Moonlight" - Golden Earring
- 1984 – "When the Lady Smiles" - Golden Earring
- 1988 – "Amsterdamned" - Loïs Lane
- 1997 – "Burning Stuntman" - Golden Earring
- De overval
- Historia Morbi
- Long distance
- Onder de maat
- Rigor Mortis
- 1983 – De Lift
- 1986 – Flodder
- 1988 – Amsterdamned
- 1992 – Flodder in America (aka Flodder 2)
- 1995 – Flodder 3
- 1999 – Do Not Disturb
- 2001 – Down
- 2007 – Moordwijven
- 2010 – Sint
- 2012 – Quiz
- 2016 – Prooi/Violent Fierce Lion
- "Dick Maas". The New York Times. Retrieved 2 February 2008.
- Janet Maslin (1983). "De Lift". The New York Times.
- Hinson, Hal (March 10, 1989). "'Amsterdamned'". The Washington Post.
- Dick Maas (Dutch film director), ISNI. Retrieved 13 September 2016.
|This article about a Dutch film director is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|